Notifications
Clear all

Why Isn't There Any *acne Research* Charities?

MemberMember
(@carmusen)

Posted : 04/14/2013 4:01 pm

You hear about the Red Cross, breast cancer research, stem cell research, etc. but why isn't there acne research charities?

MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 04/14/2013 4:54 pm

I guess because it isn't life threatening.

MemberMember
(@breakthehabit8)

Posted : 04/14/2013 5:26 pm

I really think it's because to people who haven't had or don't have acne, it doesn't seem like something that's a very big problem. I've spoken with people who think that acne sufferers should "get over it" or they think that the people who care about their acne are vain.

I think that someone needs to bring into the psychological and developmental effects of acne. Because acne occurs in the teen years (when the brain is developing in many areas including how to socially interact), acne can cause huge problems later on down the road in how someone might communicate and interact with people. It can cause suicidal thoughts, depression... but people who don't have acne don't understand.

Acne affects a person mentally and emotionally, and there is still kind of a taboo on mental/emotional disorders of all kinds. As with any mental or emotional block, unless you are the one experiencing the block/issue, it is very difficult for someone to empathize or understand. And because of that, it's really going to take acne sufferers themselves or people who have suffered from acne in the past to make worthwhile research and charities appear.

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 04/14/2013 7:45 pm

I really think it's because to people who haven't

had or don't have acne, it doesn't seem like

something that's a very big problem. I've spoken

with people who think that acne sufferers should

"get over it" or they think that the people who

care about their acne are vain.

I think that someone needs to bring into the psychological and developmental effects of acne. Because acne occurs in the teen years (when the brain is developing in many areas including

how to socially interact), acne can cause huge

problems later on down the road in how

someone might communicate and interact with

people. It can cause suicidal thoughts,

depression... but people who don't have acne

don't understand.

Acne affects a person mentally and emotionally, and there is still kind of a taboo on mental/emotional disorders of all kinds. As with

any mental or emotional block, unless you are

the one experiencing the block/issue, it is very

difficult for someone to empathize or understand.

And because of that, it's really going to take

acne sufferers themselves or people who have

suffered from acne in the past to make

worthwhile research and charities

appear.

Perfect.

MemberMember
(@doddy46)

Posted : 04/14/2013 9:11 pm

Well, simple really. Because there are already treatments that are effective so long as you stay on them, nothing phama companies love more than "incureable" diseases. They are plenty happy taking your money every month for you're continuous product purchases and prescriptions. How would they make MONEY if they CURED you? Naw, they are plenty happy with how things are now. Acne is a multi billion dollar per year BUSINESS, and most likely always will be. There's no money to be made in curing people.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 04/15/2013 3:56 pm

Because acne is just a superficial skin disorder that doesn't directly threaten your life - you may consider it a big deal but truthfully it is just a walk in the park compared to a life threatening illness.

I used to think acne was the most terrible thing that could inflict me - but after I was diagnosed with a serious illness at 20 years old I realized how truly benign acne was compared to what I was currently dealing with.