Notifications
Clear all

Felt Empowered Today By Just Telling My Aunt Off 😉

MemberMember
(@ambitiousone)

Posted : 04/15/2013 11:12 pm

So my "caring" aunt was at it again. She saw me today and said: "Oh your chin acne is budding again (yep, she said budding)... Hopefully soon you will be able to get rid of your acne scars and them". TO WHICH I REPLIED: "Really? I don't seem to notice any of them these days...You seem to be too much engrossed in my face whenever you see me, which makes me wonder if you truly care about me."

Of course, now my relationship is strained but I would rather have her out of my life than deal with such stupidities again... I won't talk until she apologizes.

Oh and just to clarify everyone: my aunt has always been demeaning me when it came to my acne. At first I thought she really cared but then, silly me, realized that all of this "care" was just a sham

MemberMember
(@stella-the-diver)

Posted : 04/15/2013 11:21 pm

You're very brave! Looking back at my past self, I wish I had been able to reply like that to some people. Especially to salespeople...they're evil. My aunt was like that, too. I had a big,shiny red pimple on my nose and she would stare at it and laugh at me :S and she would give me a bottle of Proactiv. My cousin also asked me "What are you using for your face? Try Proactiv." He didn't say it in a mean way, but more like he pitied me (which is just as bad, in my opinion) so I answered back aggressively "I AM already using something for my face, thank you". i think that was the only time I ever replied back :/

MemberMember
(@ambitiousone)

Posted : 04/15/2013 11:36 pm

Oh my dear, believe me it took years of humiliation for me to finally wake up and just tell her off. There is a point in your life when you just have to say "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH". I know my face is flawed and i truly wish i could change... i truly wish i could have a magic wand that will get rid of acne and scars but at the of 28 i realize that it will not happen and people like my aunt better get the point too!

:)

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 04/16/2013 1:34 am

Hahaha! Good job!

But just keep in mind that people sometime say things that aren't meant to be evil, they just don't understand your feelings.

I would point out people's problem sometimes but I never had the intention to be mean, rather I just want to point it out just like I am telling someone their zipper is open.

MemberMember
(@ninjawizard)

Posted : 04/16/2013 8:37 am

lol, you won one for all the silent acne sufferers out there. If she really cared about your acne and you she would help you and talk to you about it. How foolish people are to think that we don't care about our acne and it's alright for them to make these brash uneducated comments. Don't let people bring you down, you'd think family would always be there for you. At the same time you have to understand your aunt doesn't know better, maybe she was fortunate enough not to have acne but to think someone that didn't suffer from acne try to degrade acne sufferers is foolish. Forgive her first your already the better person. In the end her input on your acne is useless anyways, but you don't want your relationship to suffer from that because what what be different if you had clear skin? Cheers to the empowering moments we need and to the neverending everday struggle we face with acne.

MemberMember
(@ibiza1987)

Posted : 04/16/2013 10:20 am

Well done hun, you were very brave to answer back and not get yourself upset! And what a good answer it was! Stay strong, even if your Aunt doesn't mean her comments with malice it's still totally uncalled for and unacceptable. It is very ignorant of others to think that we are not aware we have acne, or that there's something obvious we could be using to treat it but are not bothering. Urgh, people.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 04/16/2013 11:59 am

Good for you! People like that SHOULD be told off. It would be morally wrong to let them to continue to get away with such stupidity and social ineptitude.

MemberMember
(@ambitiousone)

Posted : 04/16/2013 12:29 pm

Thank you so much everyone! I truly think that this bravery comes from being on this forum and realizing that we need to stand up for ourselves!

XOXO!!!

MemberMember
(@frankl)

Posted : 04/17/2013 12:07 am

Sometimes I wished a family member pointed out my acne. I never really cared until it was too late. Nobody I loved said anything or offered any help. And now hear I am with a face full of scars. Maybe a aunt ridiculing me would of been a good thing for me. I was so ignorant its pathetic.