Notifications
Clear all

Acid Reflux And Acne?

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 04/12/2013 11:25 am

Is there a correlation between acid reflux and acne? Could having acid reflux exacerbate acne? I was recently diagnosed with having acid reflux (had the ph test and all.) But for the past couple months I've given up and cut back on things that made my reflux worse and my acne has also improved.

MemberMember
(@heinstar)

Posted : 01/02/2015 2:00 pm

I would also like to know if GERD/Acid Reflux can aggravate acne. I haven't been officially diagnosed yet but I was put on 40mg Nexium(PPI) for 8 weeks for my upper abdominal pain shortly after eating solid foods such as biscuits which my doctor suspected as Gastritis since the blood test came back negative for Peptic ulcer. Thankfully, my upper adominal pain was gone after taking Nexium which I had been suffering for 3 months.

The most likely cause of my upper abominal pain was probably from drinking 30 - 70ml of 8 months old, opened, unrefridgerated red wine that was left sideways in a hot room and the liquid was in contact with the aluminium lid. As soon as I drank it, I realised that the red wine tasted very sour like a vinegar. And within 5 minutes, it gave me an intense burning upper abdominal pain(probably from stomach) which lasted for 10 minutes. So the red wine probably turned into vinegar and I basically drank pure vinegar.

Unfortunately, it's been 2 years and I still get refluxes throughout the day. I mostly get the refluxes while I'm running or after I eat a meal. I also used to get heartburn although I haven't had it in a couple of months. I've heard that the common cause of acid reflux is low stomach acid/hypochlorhydria so I'm going to get my stomach acid levels tested.

MemberMember
(@listener)

Posted : 01/03/2015 3:00 pm

I don't believe that acid reflux would cause acne. However I believe that the thing that would cause acid reflux/GERD, also causes skin problems - a gut dysbiosis.

So it may not be the case that one causes the other, but that a third thing (in this case: an incorrect profile of bacteria in your digestive tract) can cause both.

My theory is based on the fact that the same probiotic that cleared my skin, has also been reported to clear acid reflux problems.

Additionally, the same foods that encourage bad bacteria to grow in the digestive tract, could exacerbate both GERD and skin conditions via that single mechanism.

MemberMember
(@misterb)

Posted : 01/04/2015 11:53 pm

Bingo, Listener. Acid reflex/GERD are typically the end result of bad digestion, which can be caused by dysbiosis, bad diet and other things. Acne is also made worse by those same things, including bad digestion itself.

If you want to improve reflux, I really recommend these articles by Chris Kresser. Tip #1- antacids make it worse! 90% of people with acid reflux actually don't have enough stomach acid, which is one reason their digestion is impaired.

[removed]

Listener liked
MemberMember
(@kutenaigirl)

Posted : 01/21/2015 6:54 pm

Yes, acid reflux can absolutely be related to acne. Acid reflux means that you have low stomach acid production. Not high, as your doctor may have told you. When the stomach acid is low, food that you eat builds up in the stomach (as there is not enough acid to act upon it and digest it). As food builds up, acid is pushed up into the esophagus and you get acid reflux.

Any malabsorption or digestive problem can lead to acne breakouts. Undigested food ferments and putrifies and allows for the overgrowth of inappropriate bacteria. Bad bacteria produces toxins and toxic overload can definitely lead to acne.

I always recommend an HCL supplement to increase stomach acid and decrease acid reflux. If you take one of these supplements and it results in a bad burning sensation, it means the mucosal barrier of the stomach has been comprimised. You will then need to heal this first before trying the HCL again. A great way to do this is by drinking bone broth or by taking L-Glutamine. I recently posted a recipe for bone broth on my website. Mod edit

Another great way to increase stomach acid production is lemon juice and ginger tea, every morning and before meals.

I hope this helps!

JLopez liked
MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 02/05/2015 4:58 am

Try drinking pineapple juice through out the day and see if it helps.

MemberMember
(@wharlot)

Posted : 02/17/2016 4:16 pm

Listener,

If you are listening..
Which probiotic did you use to clear your skin?

Charlotte

MemberMember
(@elliotbelliot)

Posted : 09/27/2017 11:00 pm

On 1/22/2015 at 1:54 AM, KutenaiGirl said:

Yes, acid reflux can absolutely be related to acne. Acid reflux means that you have low stomach acid production. Not high, as your doctor may have told you. When the stomach acid is low, food that you eat builds up in the stomach (as there is not enough acid to act upon it and digest it). As food builds up, acid is pushed up into the esophagus and you get acid reflux.

Any malabsorption or digestive problem can lead to acne breakouts. Undigested food ferments and putrifies and allows for the overgrowth of inappropriate bacteria. Bad bacteria produces toxins and toxic overload can definitely lead to acne.

I always recommend an HCL supplement to increase stomach acid and decrease acid reflux. If you take one of these supplements and it results in a bad burning sensation, it means the mucosal barrier of the stomach has been comprimised. You will then need to heal this first before trying the HCL again. A great way to do this is by drinking bone broth or by taking L-Glutamine. I recently posted a recipe for bone broth on my website. Mod edit

Another great way to increase stomach acid production is lemon juice and ginger tea, every morning and before meals.

I hope this helps!

Smh, i created this account just to reply to this comment. If you really "hope this helps" then do your frkn research before you advise people on serious health issues. The advice your giving is not only wrong, but counterintuitive and harmful. I understand you just trying to help but pulling sht out of your azz like that is seriously fcked up. Read "The Acid Watcher Diet" and come back to read your comment and tell me if you won't just as pissed at yourself as i am.