Notifications
Clear all

Considering Accutane

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 03/25/2013 7:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I am considering Accutane, but I am terrified.

I joined this forum today to ask you guys what your opinions are of Accutane. I have read so many bad side effects from Accutane (some even still suffering from long after Accutane), but then I also see so many success stories (especially on here and youtube).

Is there anything else I should try before I go on Accutane as a last resort?

Thank you so much for your time.

Oh, and I will be 21 in May.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 03/25/2013 8:16 pm

Go for accutane to prevent scarring in the long run which is permanent.

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 03/25/2013 8:22 pm

Thank you Binga.

I'm curious,

have you ever been on Accutane?

And do you have any thoughts about dosage? I've had derms tell me they want to put me on 60mg - 80 mg, but I'm not sure.

I don't feel safe taking Accutane over 20 mg.

MemberMember
(@hello880)

Posted : 03/25/2013 9:57 pm

Thank you Binga.

I'm curious,

have you ever been on Accutane?

And do you have any thoughts about dosage? I've had derms tell me they want to put me on 60mg - 80 mg, but I'm not sure.

I don't feel safe taking Accutane over 20 mg.

Hi, I'm currently on Accutane. 60 mg/day for the first month and tomorrow will be my 13th day on Accutane. I think you should ask your derm for a low dose starting out but my derm didn't believe in low doses so I just started out at 60. I've noticed quite a lot of side effects in only 2 weeks but nothing I can't handle or severe enough to stop me from taking the drug. I honestly am considering asking for 40 mg next month though because some of the side effects are quite bothersome. I don't have cystic or very severe acne, just mostly small papules and comedones all over my face so I didn't have much of a flare up and I'm already seeing an improvement so I think you should give it a chance!

MemberMember
(@user187201)

Posted : 03/26/2013 1:05 am

Binga is wrong - accutane DOES NOT prevent scarring.

It depletes collagen and elastine production and impairs healing - meaning more chance of scarring

MemberMember
(@0041)

Posted : 03/26/2013 1:52 am

Hi, I've never been on Accutane but decided to give you my opinion.

From what I've read accutane can really turn your life around but the problem is it could be for the better or could be for the worst. The way I see it its a bit of a gamble, because if you react badly to it as some people have things can get worst.

I also was considering it, but after reading more about what acne is (the idea that its a symptom not a desease and you should not try to cure a symptom but the problem that is causing the symptom) I decided to go for more natural products. And things with less chemicals as possible.

I guess that decision came after my 2 failed courses on anti biotics which just turned out to be temporary solutions and at the end made things worst, and that really made me turn away from "chemicals" and anti biotics.

Of course this is my opinion base on what I've read. So what I suggest is you read more on it online, read what people have to say, don't rush into it and talk to as many people as you can.

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 03/26/2013 2:16 am

hi,

you are 21, so are probably going through hormonal changes as well. Have you considered why you have acne? have you visited an endocrinologist to rule out pcos or any other disorder that lists acne as a symptom of the actual syndrome? I honestly think females should try every possible route, such as birth control pills, spiro, etc before thinking of accutane.

I was offered accutane and the doctors told me my acne might return cuz i have an underlying condition and i wasn't willing to suffer because i have two friends who took it, one is relatively bald now and one had her eyelashes fall out.

i'm not scaring you and don't know the impact acne has in your life, but i think you should seek some advice on the hormones before jumping in on accutane. how much do you weight? how tall are you ?

Just as a guide i am 5'2, weight about 55 kg and was told i would need to start at 20mg, end at 30mg to have remission of acne but i was warned by one doctor about the side effects. another doctor i saw said she has no side effects (liar) from her patients, which is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

at the end of the day its up to you but try to seek out other things rather than accutane . 60mg - 80mg seems high, its on the higher end. I think i would take a maximum of 40mg personally and would refuse higher dosages.

such a high dose is reserved for systemtic acne all over the back, chest and face - google severe acne. If you look like that, which i strongly doubt, then take it.

Of course a high dose is linked to higher remission given the dose really dries up those glands but if you have a hormonal condition its going to probably come back.

BTW - my doctor told me accutane is NOT a cure yet, it provides long term remission and she has patients coming back about 12-18 months later and their acne returns.

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 03/26/2013 4:30 am

Hey guys! Thank you so much to everyone who replied - I really appreciate it. <3

hello880 - Yes I would be nervous too! lol I think you should totally ask for the 40 mg. :)

Livetoregret - Thank you! I'm not sure if Binga meant that by preventing acne, I will have less scarring? Perhaps..

0041 + Lilly - Thanks for giving me a quick slap. lmao

I am 5'2, and 130 pounds. So..........I thought the dosages they were offering me were too high.

Yes, I have looked into most endocrine disorders, and had so much blood work done. However, everything came back normal. Not in normal range but PERFECT. lol I do not have PCOS, any thyroid disorders, diabetes,.. nothing.

I eat a clean diet (as of last month). But I've never been a junk food junkie to begin with. I just cut out some things I could be intolerant to. My diet is fish, eggs, meat, vegetables, and fruit.

Thank you guys again.

I probably won't do the Accutane just yet, and if I do, I will ask for 20 -40 mg. <3

Time to go to school.....

=/

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 03/26/2013 7:18 am

omg hun you sound like me. except my LH levels always come back high but everything normal. but diet wise and all you sound like me. Goodluck at school hun!

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 03/26/2013 7:17 pm

Thanks Lilly!

:)

If I have success with this coconut oil thing I will let you know. lol

MemberMember
(@nomo)

Posted : 03/26/2013 8:21 pm

I would recommend it, however, I am only in my first month. It is already clearing up my skin slowly and the side effects are tolerable, thus far. Week 2-3 was pretty rough, but all that went away. I think I was also hypersensitive to any and all changes. Things seems to have leveled out. I wish to God I would have done this years ago, prior to the insane amount of scarring. I was too afraid and read too many online stories. Instead, I let 10 years go by and suffered. Emotionally and physically. I kept thinking it would go away. It never did. It became my norm to consider the lighting prior to accepting invitations to places. If it was in the day, outdoors, and a date....no way. It's really kind of sad looking back. I don't know why I tortured myself instead of accepting the one and only treatment I was advised, by a physician, would help me. Several physicians.

The one thing I didn't really realize was that if the symptoms became too unbearable (if you happen to be an unlucky one)....just quit taking the med. Extremely rare to have permanent debilitating effects, as Livetoregret does. I believe it happens, but extremely rare. We take other medications that could possibly cause a systemic anaphylactic reaction...same thing in my book. There's always a risk with medications.

As far as dosage, 1mg/kg/day is standard. It is weight based, so you can't just throw a random idea that 20 mg is where a patient should start. 60mg/day is completely appropriate for you, and medically suggested. 1.5-2mg/kg/day is used for people who have a return and need a second round.

People can have pretty insane side effects, however, the majority of people do not. So, it is a risk, but a low one. I say spare yourself a lot of misery and get started. Don't get me wrong, it is a tough drug and overall unpleasant, but the end results will be worth it.

(I am suggesting it with the assumption you have tried all other options. It is for severe acne, unresponsive to all other treatments.)

MemberMember
(@darkdragoon)

Posted : 03/28/2013 10:36 pm

I finished my five month course of 60mg per day about 2 months ago and it was the best decision I've ever made. I had moderate acne for 10 years and nothing ever worked. Even when it seemed like my skin was "clearing up," it never really was, I still had hundreds of clogged pores just waiting to surface. But the accutane has actually cleared my skin, the way nothing else ever could. All of my pores are cleaned out and empty, I have normal skin now. I can't get pimples because there is nothing in my pores. I don't produce copius amounts of oil anymore. I'm never again going to delude myself into thinking that I can do anything significant about my acne with topical treatments. I didn't realize just how much that stuff WASN'T working until I went on accutance and the hundreds of clogged pores purged. There was so much crap in my skin. Trying to control pimples here and there with topical treatments was just like rubbing benzoil peroxide on the tip of a very large iceburg. You're not really going to get anywhere.

As far the the side effects go, I think they are overhyped. People report bad news a lot more often then they report good news, it's just the way the world is, so you're always going to hear mainly bad things. But I will tell you that I hardly had anything in the way of side effects. No aches, no depression, no hair loss. My skin and lips were dry, that's it. I just moisturized and it was fine. My skin did purge a lot, and that sucked, but it had to happen. My pores were all clogged and the accutane made everything come out. It sucked for a few months but I knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel so I never got depressed about it, and now I'm thankful for every one of those pimples because every pore on my face is cleared out now.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason a person with acne shouldn't go on accutane. It's the only thing that actually works. And if I end up having to go on it again in a couple years, I will not hesitate. Don't waste your time and money and life trying to cure your acne by rubbing topicals into your skin. It's never really going to work. Accutance works.

MemberMember
(@nomo)

Posted : 03/28/2013 11:46 pm

I completely agree with DarkDragon. I'd live on accutane rather than have acne again. The psychological effects are unbelievable. For instance, I realized just how much I avoided looking in a mirror or window to see my reflection...that is completely unhealthy and unnecessary when there is a treatment that works. I am sorry to the people who it had bad effects on, truly. But that is not the norm.

MemberMember
(@user187201)

Posted : 03/30/2013 11:40 pm

Your only 2 months out from taking it... That's right around the time my side effects started to kick in. I'm wouldn't be so smug in hyping it you are NOT free and clear buddy.

I finished my five month course of 60mg per day about 2 months ago and it was the best decision I've ever made. I had moderate acne for 10 years and nothing ever worked. Even when it seemed like my skin was "clearing up," it never really was, I still had hundreds of clogged pores just waiting to surface. But the accutane has actually cleared my skin, the way nothing else ever could. All of my pores are cleaned out and empty, I have normal skin now. I can't get pimples because there is nothing in my pores. I don't produce copius amounts of oil anymore. I'm never again going to delude myself into thinking that I can do anything significant about my acne with topical treatments. I didn't realize just how much that stuff WASN'T working until I went on accutance and the hundreds of clogged pores purged. There was so much crap in my skin. Trying to control pimples here and there with topical treatments was just like rubbing benzoil peroxide on the tip of a very large iceburg. You're not really going to get anywhere.

As far the the side effects go, I think they are overhyped. People report bad news a lot more often then they report good news, it's just the way the world is, so you're always going to hear mainly bad things. But I will tell you that I hardly had anything in the way of side effects. No aches, no depression, no hair loss. My skin and lips were dry, that's it. I just moisturized and it was fine. My skin did purge a lot, and that sucked, but it had to happen. My pores were all clogged and the accutane made everything come out. It sucked for a few months but I knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel so I never got depressed about it, and now I'm thankful for every one of those pimples because every pore on my face is cleared out now.

As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason a person with acne shouldn't go on accutane. It's the only thing that actually works. And if I end up having to go on it again in a couple years, I will not hesitate. Don't waste your time and money and life trying to cure your acne by rubbing topicals into your skin. It's never really going to work. Accutance works.

MemberMember
(@citygirl039)

Posted : 04/22/2013 12:45 pm

I am on 80mg a day and not one breakout since I started it, I am thrilled and I would do it again if I had too! I love looking at my clear skin. Do it get it over with and just do what the Doc tells you. Don't waist time and money on everything else. I tried EVERYTHING!!! Everyone is different but if you have moderate acne and get cystic acne then start accutane now before it gets worse. Good Luck

MemberMember
(@miumiu)

Posted : 04/24/2013 4:49 pm

what did you use? antibiotics? topical retinoid? AHA, BHA?