Notifications
Clear all

18 Months After Accutane & Side Effects, Etc (Update!)

MemberMember
(@mmthsurf)

Posted : 03/24/2013 12:53 am

I just wanted to give a quick update as I pass the 18-months post-Accutane mark!

My skin is still VERY clear - I probably get about one very small pimple every month or 2, and it goes away COMPLETELY within 2 days. Again, it's very small - usually doesn't even develop to the stage of being a whitehead, and it's gone before I even really notice it. Here is a before and after pic:

post-150778-0-80045700-1319698645_thumb.

post-150778-0-46032100-1364102066_thumb.

ALSO, I wanted to address some of the side effects that other users had/have been experiencing. I basically took a list from someone's "side effects" thread and wrote a response to each side effect. Keep in mind, that while I was on Accutane, I took GREAT care of myself. Everywhere I went, I carried a water bottle, chap stick, aquaphor, and heavy moisturizing cream...

1. Dry Eyes

- I stayed very hydrated while on Accutane, and didn't experience dry eyes while on the drug or up until now. I even started wearing contacts since I got off Accutane, and haven't had any issues.

2. E.D/ Low Libido

- This has never really been an issue for me other than when I'm stressed out over work, school, etc.

3. Hair-loss

- I have more body hair now that I did 2 years ago. No hair loss anywhere.

4. Slow Healing

- When I do get a pimple, which is very rare, it heals quickly. I also was scratched in the face by a cat a few months ago and it healed normally. I shave with an electric shaver 90% of the time, so no problems there.

5. Lack of sebum (oil)

- I do still get a LITTLE dry when I get out of the shower, ocean, etc, but I moisturize immediately and it does the trick - and lasts all day. Good reminder for me to moisturize daily!

6. Brain Fog/ Memory problems

- I have ADHD, and I choose not to medicate for it, so sometimes I have trouble focusing - but this has been since grade school.

7. Anxiety

- For me, stress triggers minor anxiety sometimes, but it always has - not sure if the Accutane contributed to this, as it has always been a small problem for me.

8. I believe I look older than I should due to lack of oil

- If anything, I feel like my skin now makes me look younger! It has remained very smooth. Remember to moisturize often! It seriously does wonders.

9. Joint/Muscle problems - Aches/ Slow recovery

- I hit the gym about 5 times a week, and haven't had any issued post-Accutane. I did, however, work out much less while on Accutane, mostly because I didn't want to hurt myself. I definitely felt it in my joints a bit when I was dehydrated, so I didn't want to take the chance.

10. Excessive sweating.. Terrible if I go running at the gym, for example.

- I actually do feel like I sweat a bit more out of my armpits and A$$ now! Haha. Weird, but managable.

11. Dry mouth

- Stay hydrated, chew gum, etc. I did not experience this side effect!

12. Nosebleeds more than I should

- I had 5 or so while I was on Accutane, but not a single one since!

13. Fatigue

- Not sure if you mean physical muscle fatigue when exuding energy, or just plain old contant tiredness, but I think that getting back into working out has helped with this a lot, and while I was on Accutane, I wasn't as physically active, which probably killed my energy level.

14. Overall depression and confusion

- Other than certain unfortunate/significant events that have happened in my personal life in the past few years, I haven't suffered from any overall depression or confusion. If you have had these issues, they could be related to diet, exercise, or even the Accutane - who knows! This is very interesting to me, because this was the side effect that scared me the most about taking Accutane, and fortunately I didn't experience it.

JUST TO BE CLEAR - My analysis of the side effects aren't meant to prove anyone else wrong or promote/bash the drug in any way. Just sharing MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. AND AGAIN - I took very good care of myself while on Accutane, which I feel was extremely helpful.

post-150778-0-46032100-1364102066_thumb.

Lilly75 liked
MemberMember
(@adrianb01)

Posted : 03/24/2013 10:01 am

Wow thankyou for such a detailed update ! Firstly i will say your skin is looking awesome ! If i could have anything close to that after my current accutane course i would be very pleased ! Secondly just wanted to know what sort of key things you did to take care of yourself? Mosturizing and lip balm or anything else you could advise? Any dieting or such? Plus did you break out initially? How long until you started to notice serious improvements ?Again well done and thanks for the post !!

MemberMember
(@jess09)

Posted : 03/24/2013 9:17 pm

Your skin look freaking amazing thats so great congrats on those results !!! i know ur a guy haha but beautiful skin !

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 03/25/2013 2:36 am

Wow your skin looks so great!

Even though I'm not taking accutane or planing on taking it anytime soon, it was interesting to read through your experience. Seems like you didn't have any really bad side effects during or after the drug which is awesome.

Congrats on clear skin :)

MemberMember
(@kirstyaust94)

Posted : 03/25/2013 7:19 am

W O W! Your skin looks *fantastic*. This gives me a lot of hope, because if your before photo is accurate - it is more the persistency than the severity that is problematic? That's sort of my issue. &....it sucks.

Also, do you mind me asking how old you actually are? Totally fine if you didn't want to reveal it online, I'm just being curiously nosy. I'd guess like between 21-23. But no, I definitely agree that Accutane hasn't aged you, haha. I'll admit that this was one of my vain concerns for myself.

Congrats on your clear skin, must feel awesome rolleyes.gif

- If anything, I feel like my skin now makes me look younger! It has remained very smooth. Remember to moisturize often! It seriously does wonders.

MemberMember
(@oilydave94)

Posted : 03/26/2013 4:02 am

Congratz bro, your skin looks flawless, you have no signs of even having acne now! For every horror accutane story, there's a story like yours.

Your "acne" was pretty mild to begin with, so I assume you were on a lower dose which would explain your lack of side effects. What dosage were you on and how long was your course?

I just wanted to give a quick update as I pass the 18-months post-Accutane mark!

My skin is still VERY clear - I probably get about one very small pimple every month or 2, and it goes away COMPLETELY within 2 days. Again, it's very small - usually doesn't even develop to the stage of being a whitehead, and it's gone before I even really notice it. Here is a before and after pic:

attachicon.gifafteraccutane.JPG

ALSO, I wanted to address some of the side effects that other users had/have been experiencing. I basically took a list from someone's "side effects" thread and wrote a response to each side effect. Keep in mind, that while I was on Accutane, I took GREAT care of myself. Everywhere I went, I carried a water bottle, chap stick, aquaphor, and heavy moisturizing cream...

1. Dry Eyes

- I stayed very hydrated while on Accutane, and didn't experience dry eyes while on the drug or up until now. I even started wearing contacts since I got off Accutane, and haven't had any issues.

2. E.D/ Low Libido

- This has never really been an issue for me other than when I'm stressed out over work, school, etc.

3. Hair-loss

4. Slow Healing

- When I do get a pimple, which is very rare, it heals quickly. I also was scratched in the face by a cat a few months ago and it healed normally. I shave with an electric shaver 90% of the time, so no problems there.

5. Lack of sebum (oil)

- I do still get a LITTLE dry when I get out of the shower, ocean, etc, but I moisturize immediately and it does the trick - and lasts all day. Good reminder for me to moisturize daily!

- I have ADHD, and I choose not to medicate for it, so sometimes I have trouble focusing - but this has been since grade school.

7. Anxiety

- For me, stress triggers minor anxiety sometimes, but it always has - not sure if the Accutane contributed to this, as it has always been a small problem for me.

- I hit the gym about 5 times a week, and haven't had any issued post-Accutane. I did, however, work out much less while on Accutane, mostly because I didn't want to hurt myself. I definitely felt it in my joints a bit when I was dehydrated, so I didn't want to take the chance.

- I actually do feel like I sweat a bit more out of my armpits and A$$ now! Haha. Weird, but managable.

11. Dry mouth

13. Fatigue

- Not sure if you mean physical muscle fatigue when exuding energy, or just plain old contant tiredness, but I think that getting back into working out has helped with this a lot, and while I was on Accutane, I wasn't as physically active, which probably killed my energy level.

- Other than certain unfortunate/significant events that have happened in my personal life in the past few years, I haven't suffered from any overall depression or confusion. If you have had these issues, they could be related to diet, exercise, or even the Accutane - who knows! This is very interesting to me, because this was the side effect that scared me the most about taking Accutane, and fortunately I didn't experience it.

JUST TO BE CLEAR - My analysis of the side effects aren't meant to prove anyone else wrong or promote/bash the drug in any way. Just sharing MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. AND AGAIN - I took very good care of myself while on Accutane, which I feel was extremely helpful.

MemberMember
(@mmthsurf)

Posted : 03/26/2013 4:25 am

Wow thankyou for such a detailed update ! Firstly i will say your skin is looking awesome ! If i could have anything close to that after my current accutane course i would be very pleased ! Secondly just wanted to know what sort of key things you did to take care of yourself? Mosturizing and lip balm or anything else you could advise? Any dieting or such? Plus did you break out initially? How long until you started to notice serious improvements ?Again well done and thanks for the post !!

Just a TON of moisturizer, lip balm, sunscreen, and water!

I also ate a lot of fatty foods with my accurate because the drug is fat soluble, so when I couldn't take it with a fatty meal, I took it with milk.

I broke out initially for a few weeks, but then cleared up dramatically. I started noticing serious improvements probably 6 weeks into my course.

Your skin look freaking amazing thats so great congrats on those results !!! i know ur a guy haha but beautiful skin !

Thanks you so much!!! :]

Wow your skin looks so great!

Even though I'm not taking accutane or planing on taking it anytime soon, it was interesting to read through your experience. Seems like you didn't have any really bad side effects during or after the drug which is awesome.

Congrats on clear skin :)

Side effects were minor.

Thank you thank you thank you!

W O W! Your skin looks *fantastic*. This gives me a lot of hope, because if your before photo is accurate - it is more the persistency than the severity that is problematic? That's sort of my issue. &....it sucks.

Also, do you mind me asking how old you actually are? Totally fine if you didn't want to reveal it online, I'm just being curiously nosy. I'd guess like between 21-23. But no, I definitely agree that Accutane hasn't aged you, haha. I'll admit that this was one of my vain concerns for myself.

Congrats on your clear skin, must feel awesome rolleyes.gif

Thanks!!

In the before pic, that's about as bad as mine ever got. It was definitely mild and persistent. I'm 22! Haha. Just remember to moisturizer and use sunscreen!!!

Congratz bro, your skin looks flawless, you have no signs of even having acne now! For every horror accutane story, there's a story like yours.

Your "acne" was pretty mild to begin with, so I assume you were on a lower dose which would explain your lack of side effects. What dosage were you on and how long was your course?

attachicon.gifafteraccutane.JPG

1. Dry Eyes

2. E.D/ Low Libido

3. Hair-loss

4. Slow Healing

5. Lack of sebum (oil)

7. Anxiety

11. Dry mouth

13. Fatigue

Thanks!

I actually was on a pretty normal dose for my weight (135 lbs)

Month 1 - 40mg

Month 2 - 60mg

Month 3 - 60mg

Month 4 - 80mg

Month 5 - 80mg

And although my acne wasn't SEVERE, the same cumulative dosage needs to be reached for the Accutane to actually take effect and have lasting results. It would be senseless to take less Accutane for mild acne and more for severe acne.

MemberMember
(@mmthsurf)

Posted : 04/05/2013 6:11 pm

Oh, I should also add that sunscreen is very important too!

MemberMember
(@melie87)

Posted : 08/18/2013 2:36 pm

Hey! Yea, what an amazing change, and you look AMAZING! Damn, how the drug essentially gave you your face back! I want that! I was curious because you had mild acne before, what was the dose of your course? My skin is not that bad, but sometimes it gets pretty bad where I won't leave the house, it's constant and consistent and I am almost 26years old. You name it, I've tried it. Except accutane. I was eve thinking of doing an ultra low dose, as that could be more effective, but I think the down side is taking it a bit longer. I want to try and get away with taking a very low does first, I just know my body. Anyways, sorry for the ramble! (Your hot)