Notifications
Clear all

Has Anyone Been Physically Attacked Because Of Acne?

MemberMember
(@foreverbold)

Posted : 03/18/2013 4:54 pm

I have. I was out for a run when I was around 17 years old in my neighborhood when a van of guys in the early 20's came up beside me and started verbally abusing me because of my skin and threw their garbage at me.

Then when I was around 18-19 I was waiting for the city bus by myself close to a mall when three highschool kids came up to me and pushed me into a concrete wall banging my head on the concrete repeatedly and kicking me in the back telling me my skin was disgusting and how unsightly I was, I didn't deserve to live ect.

I was too embarrassed to go to the police, so both incidents went unreported.

Has anyone experiend a similiar situation?

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 03/18/2013 5:07 pm

I have been bullied, because of my looks.

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 03/18/2013 5:22 pm

This happened recently in "my country":

As you can tell they almost killed him. It wasn't because of acne though. lol I shouldn't joke around as it's no joke.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 03/18/2013 5:26 pm

Not for acne, but for being thin. In school, girls would harass me, follow me and threaten my life because according to them, I was "disgusting to look at."

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 03/18/2013 5:28 pm

Not for acne, but for being thin. In school, girls would harass me, follow me and threaten my life because according to them, I was "disgusting to look at."

Disgusting to look at? lol That's rediculous.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear.

MemberMember
(@paolo)

Posted : 03/18/2013 5:38 pm

I saw this and felt I needed to post. I am 24 and over the last few years I developed serious acne. No one has out right said something to me , but when with my girlfriend who is very beautiful people have said things in passing by. "She's with him?" And other stupid comments.... You know at first It destroyed me. I had never dealt with acne before and to be an adult and have it? Really? It blows.And then I came to the conclusion that I deserve the fucking world. That acne is a test of who I really am. Would I let it control my thoughts and emotions? My day to day life? My relationship? My social life?I decided No. No it won't and that I need to work even harder than the guy next to me who doesn't have acne. Not because his skin is clear and mine isn't, but because some people out there don't want me to have it all and they can go screw themselves.I still have acne (though with hollistic regimens has gone down a lot) and I still have a beautiful girlfriend, so I'm still gooing to work out, go to work and hold my head up high and hang out with friends.I don't need to feel sorry for myself because someone thinks I should or because I don't look like everyone else.I know this has turned into a rant , but reading what happened to you boils my blood and I want you to know if you do or don't have acne you're not alone in this world and there are people who understand and last of all. Even though I don't know you and though it makes no difference in what has happened. I would've curb stomped some heads if I were thereI know when I talk to someone who has had bad acne or deals with it, they are different. In a deeper way of understanding people and they are the best to talk toRant over.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 03/18/2013 5:51 pm

People don't have to say anything. If people don't want to hang out of you, then it's over.

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 03/18/2013 5:52 pm

Not that I can recall. The closest I've come to getting into a physical altercation about my acne was back in high school at the lunch table one day, some little asshole kid who was known for starting fights at my school made some comment about a pimple on my cheek, and it got me so fucking mad that I threw him to the ground and starting beating the hell outta him for it. That was one of the only fights I was ever involved in back in high school, ended up busting the little douchebag's nose up pretty good. I can't really say I was physically attacked though since I initiated the fight, lol.

But anyone one who would target someone and threaten them over something like skin problems? Very fucked up. People can be so cruel.

MemberMember
(@paolo)

Posted : 03/18/2013 6:06 pm

No. if people dont want to hang out with you....why did you want to hang out with them in the first place? they are human waste.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 03/18/2013 6:20 pm

I have. I was out for a run when I was around 17 years old in my neighborhood when a van of guys in the early 20's came up beside me and started verbally abusing me because of my skin and threw their garbage at me.

Then when I was around 18-19 I was waiting for the city bus by myself close to a mall when three highschool kids came up to me and pushed me into a concrete wall banging my head on the concrete repeatedly and kicking me in the back telling me my skin was disgusting and how unsightly I was, I didn't deserve to live ect.

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. Some people are just immature. I promise that experiences like this will make you stronger. I have been made fun of because of my skin but as an adult, people just tend to stare instead.

MemberMember
(@foreverbold)

Posted : 03/18/2013 6:34 pm

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. Some people are just immature. I promise that experiences like this will make you stronger. I have been made fun of because of my skin but as an adult, people just tend to stare instead.

This happened ten years ago in 2003. I am now 27 years old and I hate to inform you the bullying and rude comments still haven't stopped. And no it did not make me stronger, it has driven me into mental illness actually.

The only people that can derive strength from bad experiences in life (the old making lemonade out of lemons saying) are the ones with stable mental health and inherently good coping strategies. I have been emotionally broken in half from all of this, it has weakened me emotionally if anything.

MemberMember
(@paolo)

Posted : 03/18/2013 7:52 pm

Forever bold. So that's it? You lose? Acne wins? No hope? Anxiety the rest of your life? Wasting your life by being your own prisoner to your mind and just feeding the monster by letting others affect you? What if you had a child going through this? Do you give up on them? You better answer 'NO', so then why give up on yourself. Why do you deserve this? Deserve less? why cry? Why depair?

I asked myself all these things. I know I cannot say my acne is like yours. Your life is like mine ,but I'm sure we've had the same thoughts race through our head. You know that shitty voice that puts you down and drives you mad to the point you can't take it?

I've been there and I am no Fabio. I still get down sometimes and still get shy and nervous and anxious, but when that happens I ask myself. Why do I care so much? Why do I care if others care?

I know people who are worth knowing will see how god damn awesome I am under the acne. Don't ever give up. Don't stop looking for answers. Don't be scared of what's out there.

I'm sure you've tried a millions things and everyone has told you what you should do, but if you want any advice on a regimen that may help or are willing to try hollistic stuff PM.

Mental illness? I've dealt with depression and it almost got me. I still think I'm a little crazy but that's who I am

MemberMember
(@foreverbold)

Posted : 03/18/2013 8:18 pm

Forever bold. So that's it? You lose? Acne wins? No hope? Anxiety the rest of your life? Wasting your life by being your own prisoner to your mind and just feeding the monster by letting others affect you? What if you had a child going through this? Do you give up on them? You better answer 'NO', so then why give up on yourself. Why do you deserve this? Deserve less? why cry? Why depair?

I asked myself all these things. I know I cannot say my acne is like yours. Your life is like mine ,but I'm sure we've had the same thoughts race through our head. You know that shitty voice that puts you down and drives you mad to the point you can't take it?

I've been there and I am no Fabio. I still get down sometimes and still get shy and nervous and anxious, but when that happens I ask myself. Why do I care so much? Why do I care if others care?

I know people who are worth knowing will see how god damn awesome I am under the acne. Don't ever give up. Don't stop looking for answers. Don't be scared of what's out there.

I'm sure you've tried a millions things and everyone has told you what you should do, but if you want any advice on a regimen that may help or are willing to try hollistic stuff PM.

Mental illness? I've dealt with depression and it almost got me. I still think I'm a little crazy but that's who I am

Hahaha hollistic regimen? I wasted ten years of my life on hollistic medicine and remedies, you really think I haven't done this already? I have done it to death. I even became anorexic afraid to eat anything at all in fear it would inspire acne, you have no clue what I have gone through in regards to hollistic medicine and the emotional obsessive Hell it put me through.

My acne is genetic. My father had acne conglobata and I inherited his strain (though not as severe). It's deeply ingrained in my genes, something I don't think people understand.

I have had this disease since 1997 all over my body (no I'm not exaggerating) since I was 11 and it ruined my life. - especially being a girl it literally crushed any developing self esteem.

I don't have "anxiety" either, what I have is a borderline personality disorder and major depressive disorder and this isn't all related to acne. I don't have the mental illness because of acne, I have it because of genetics as well and randomness of life and no I can't turn it "off" and "on" with a positive attitude or a chipper smile.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 03/19/2013 5:39 am

No. if people dont want to hang out with you....why did you want to hang out with them in the first place? they are human waste.

Because I don t want to be in hell. Luckily, I have finally found people who do not care about my looks.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 03/19/2013 6:02 am

something I don't think people understand.

You are wrong. It is a genetic thing with me as well. The problem is that people cannot read your mind and that acne can be caused by thousands of things.

MemberMember
(@akatom)

Posted : 03/19/2013 6:26 am

If I got bullied, about acne or anything else, I would literally go ape shit.

I've got so much pent-up anger, and since I'm not a violent person and usually real chilled, I feel if a bully came along I'd be oh so prepared to release it :)

MemberMember
(@creativedisplayname)

Posted : 03/19/2013 11:30 pm

If I got bullied, about acne or anything else, I would literally go ape shit.

I've got so much pent-up anger, and since I'm not a violent person and usually real chilled, I feel if a bully came along I'd be oh so prepared to release it smile.png

same here

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 03/20/2013 12:12 am

I am so sorry this has happened to you! It breaks my heart to know someone has to go through these :(

Please don't let anyone do this to you anymore and just take it silently. Bring a pepper spray around if you must

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 03/20/2013 4:03 am

The only people that can derive strength from bad experiences in life (the old making lemonade out of lemons saying) are the ones with stable mental health and inherently good coping strategies. I have been emotionally broken in half from all of this, it has weakened me emotionally if anything.

Yeah, I really believe this is true. I have had some truly awful things happen to me during my lifetime but I just pick myself up and get on with it. I've always had good coping skills. But I know a couple of close friends who have fallen to pieces over quite minor upsets in their life and have struggled to get back on track emotionally. I'm sure it comes down to a lot of things, but probably personality trait is a big factor.

As for being bullied for having acne, I'm not sure that I have unless I can count my older brother who always had something to say about my skin when we were younger. But I got him back in other ways ;)

But what has always stuck with me is something that happened when I was in my early 20's. I was out running after work one evening, and about 100 meters ahead of me was a very large young woman. I remember seeing her and thinking "oh good on her for being out and exercising", when a car drove past us and some guy yelled out the window "better keep walking for a year you fat cow". I remember being so shocked that a complete stranger would go out of their way to be nasty to someone. When I ran past her I didn't say anything to her, and its always something I've regretted. If only I had the maturity at the time to say something encouraging without being condescending. 20 years later and I STILL think about it sometimes saywhat.gif

So I suppose, it doesnt matter if you have acne, are over weight or have a big nose etc (or god forbid all three!), there are people out in the world who are idiots and gain some sort of demented satisfaction with putting others down. Full stop.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 03/20/2013 4:54 am

It was not the bullying that actually got to me, it was the social isolation that I was put in. People saw me as a nerd that didn't need any socializing whatsoever. With me it is exactly the opposite. If the environment doesn't want to work with you, then you are stuck.

MemberMember
(@praveen64)

Posted : 03/20/2013 7:05 am

I guess I was lucky I was not harassed by other people, instead I was well liked. I was the one doing the childish for fun bullying people the most part. I have seen many people with severe acne don't care at all because they are well like by other people regardless of acne. I personally know few. So yeah, please don't go on blaming the acne and the appearence. It must be something else, I might have had anger or there were frsutrated and they just poured they emotional anger on you. They found a silly reason that have acne.

If you have acne and put your face down then people will take advantage and abuse you. I have personally experienced this. Just be who you like to be, FU to the people who don't like you and you should not care about random peoples ideas how the perfect person should be.

Everyone in the world wants everything perfect but the reality is thats not possible. People who cannot handle the truth burst out in anger or other bad emotions and pour them on others. I wish they close this silly thread :)