Notifications
Clear all

Hair Drying Out Before Face?

MemberMember
(@hello880)

Posted : 03/18/2013 1:07 pm

I'm on day 5 of accutane, 60 mg/day. So far my lips have dried out and my hair is starting to dry, but my face is as oily as ever (maybe even more oily than before accutane). Has this happened to anyone else before on accutane? Especially in the first week?

MemberMember
(@ksg1996)

Posted : 03/18/2013 9:00 pm

Accutane kicks in at different rates for everyone. I know this isn't the exact answer you're looking for but you'll have to be patient. I went through Accutane and my face started to dry up within the 2nd day, but I never experimented dry hair or extremely chapped lips. Don't worry though, it's all about time.

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 03/18/2013 9:30 pm

Yes, my hair became extremely dry on Day 3. Lips really didn't become excessively dry until around the second week for me. Currently on Day 21. whistling.gif)

MemberMember
(@dumdedum)

Posted : 03/19/2013 9:13 am

I'm months in and my hair has begun dry really dry if it gets so dry it is breaking off or causing major split ends deep condition your hair

MemberMember
(@monkeybeanmagic)

Posted : 03/21/2013 12:52 am

My hair is drying much more noticeably than my skin (I'm on 10 mg a day). It sucks, but I use a lot of conditioner and some moraccanoil and that seems to help. Thank god I'm a man with short hair.

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 03/21/2013 3:16 am

i know this is off topic but i take the pill and i noticed my hair got dryer a lot faster than my face. I dont have very oily skin, at least i dont think so but it must be right, for all the spots and all. Within 3 weeks i noticed my hair was less oily. Face still needs to catch up. I have like one clear side of my face and one broken out side its weird. I just hope the skin gets better i notice when i touch my nose/forehead in the morning its not as 'oily' as before. So i guess your skin will take a bit longer.

MemberMember
(@katnewby)

Posted : 03/21/2013 3:36 pm

I noticed my scalp got dry by about the end of week 2 and now at the end of month one I am noticing that my hair is quite dry as well. I need to make a salon appointment soon to get a trim & I'm going to see if they have some kind of moisturizing treatment they can do. My hair off accutane is usually really oily and I have to wash it everyday. On accutane, I could probably go 10 days without washing it (I don't, I've only gone like 5 days).

Off accutane, my skin was never super oily, which is funny as you'd think someone with severe acne would be an oil slick. But my skin is super super dry on accutane. I am peeling a bit and my lips always feel dry so I slather on aquafor all the time. I'm currently on 40mg, and in a couple of days I hope my doctor doubles my dose, so it should be a fun ride..

MemberMember
(@hello880)

Posted : 03/21/2013 7:40 pm

Well today is Day 8 and my skin is finally catching up a bit :D Still oily at the end of the day, but nothing like it was before. I'm thinking it'll be pretty dry by the end of the first month or so.

MemberMember

Posted : 03/21/2013 8:21 pm

I got a moisturizing treatment at my salon and my hair looked and felt much better afterwards, I highly recommend. =) I've also been using a super moisturizing conditioner at home and adding a couple of drops of jojoba oil to it, that seems to help also. My skin has now caught up and is super, super uncomfortably dry. My skin is usually on the dry side, especially in the winter, but this is crazy. Did any of you all have dry skin pre-Accutane? I'm just hoping it doesn't dry out too much, I want healthy-looking skin but CLEAR, healthy-looking skin. =)

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 03/22/2013 12:05 pm

just a word of caution, some people have permanently dry skin after accutane, as well as lips. my friend was like that. But it should give you clear skin.

MemberMember
(@katnewby)

Posted : 03/22/2013 3:51 pm

I got a moisturizing treatment at my salon and my hair looked and felt much better afterwards, I highly recommend. =) I've also been using a super moisturizing conditioner at home and adding a couple of drops of jojoba oil to it, that seems to help also. My skin has now caught up and is super, super uncomfortably dry. My skin is usually on the dry side, especially in the winter, but this is crazy. Did any of you all have dry skin pre-Accutane? I'm just hoping it doesn't dry out too much, I want healthy-looking skin but CLEAR, healthy-looking skin. =)

I wouldn't necessarily say that I was "dry" before accutane, but I was quite combination. I was certainly not incredibly oily.

MemberMember

Posted : 03/22/2013 8:03 pm

Maybe combination is a better word for my skin, I have a couple of places that tend to be a bit oily (forehead and around my nose), otherwise my skin is pretty normal. Except for in the winter when it's not unusual for me to get dry patches. I used Cetaphil cream before Accutane, I am now using pure shea butter with good results. I am like you, though, I would think someone with acne problems would have oily skin but what do I know? lol. My hair on the other hand is very oily. Well, I should say was very oily. I am wrapping up my first month, also on 40mg.