Notifications
Clear all

Accutane. Is This Normal?

MemberMember
(@nomo)

Posted : 03/16/2013 9:16 pm

Alright, so I am on day 16...major breakout with huge cyst on my chin---normal, from what I understand. Face is starting to get dry, flaky, peely---normal, as well. However, along with this stuff....I am feeling kinda miserable. As if I can feel the taxing effects of accutane on my body. For instance, today I slept until 1230....absolutely abnormal. Sleeping in for me is 8:00. I feel like I could pass out when I work out, specifically running hard. my hips are super sore, as are my arm joints. Much more hair in the shower than normal. And the worst, which I have yet to read anywhere, are three small pimple type things on my labia---WTF is this??? All of this is kinda depressing. I don't think my depressing feelings are deep rooted, but just a light depression related to my current state and miserable symptoms. For instance, I just have depressing thoughts about accutane, not about my life in general. I am having trouble sleeping at night, due to itching---feels like crumbs in the bed. Which may explain why I end up sleeping longer, due to inadequate rest at night.

So, I guess I am wondering if this is normal. It seems that most of what I have read, all of these s/s happen after more than just two weeks, or is ths how the entire course is going to go?? Could it be I am not drinking enough water?? Anyone else miserable early on and does it pass??

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 03/17/2013 7:06 am

I had most of those symptoms you mentioned for the first few weeks of Accutane, and they did stop as my body became accustomed to it.

-Your skin will get worse at the beginning

- I found it stopped me sleeping, then made me tired all the time- this went on it's own, but accutane can cause dehydration which can have similar effects so make sure you are drinking LOTS of water, and only water (not squash or juice).

- Accutane can cause joint aches, might just be an idea to slow down the exercise for a bit until you feel more up to it - you can take supplements that help joint ache, omega 3 and I think there might be another one, but you should be able to research that on here

- You can get hair loss, again you can take something to help this but I'm afraid I cant remember what it's called!

I would also consider a milk thistle supplement to help your liver cope.

The most important thing with all of this is to inform your Dr!!! It's incredibly important you tell your dr if you're miserable on Accutane as it has been linked to suicide, it is also their job to help, and they can look at your dosing, and suggest supplements to help with the individual problems as I have.