The Regimen Isn'...

Notifications
Clear all

The Regimen Isn't Working At All?

MemberMember
(@foreverbold)

Posted : 03/16/2013 2:51 am

I'm a 27 year old woman who has been dealing with widespread severe inflammatory acne since the mid 1990's from my tween years on. I have gone through the gamut of prescription topicals and face washes from different dermatologists with no luck over the years.

I started following this Acne.org regimen since December 15th of 2011. This is my routine:

Morning and night:

- I splash water on my face to prep my skin for washing

- I then wash my face with Cetaphil gentle cleanser lathering the product and massaging it into my face for 10 seconds in a gentle manner.

- I let air dry (I don't wipe with a towel)

- after fifteen minutes I apply 2.5% Benzoyl peroxide layering it carefully for 3-5 minutes.

- after 20 minutes I apply my Cetaphil daily moisturizer

In all honesty I haven't seen any results? I've stuck with it. My pimples are quite cystic and raised (especially on my jawline and cheeks) maybe my acne is too severe to respond to the regimen? I don't know. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/16/2013 4:18 am

I'm a 27 year old woman who has been dealing with widespread severe inflammatory acne since the mid 1990's from my tween years on. I have gone through the gamut of prescription topicals and face washes from different dermatologists with no luck over the years.

I started following this Acne.org regimen since December 15th of 2011. This is my routine:

Morning and night:

- I splash water on my face to prep my skin for washing

- I then wash my face with Cetaphil gentle cleanser lathering the product and massaging it into my face for 10 seconds in a gentle manner.

- I let air dry (I don't wipe with a towel)

- after fifteen minutes I apply 2.5% Benzoyl peroxide layering it carefully for 3-5 minutes.

- after 20 minutes I apply my Cetaphil daily moisturizer

In all honesty I haven't seen any results? I've stuck with it. My pimples are quite cystic and raised (especially on my jawline and cheeks) maybe my acne is too severe to respond to the regimen? I don't know. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

You do apply as much product as the regimen requires? I'm on the regimen as well and we are basically using almost the same products. I found that A LOT of BP was really the solution in my case.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 03/16/2013 7:39 am

By now you should most definitely be using the full-amount, if not more. Like Dan says - if you're not sure, use more. Try applying more on the night routine and I mean more! Haha

Just see how that goes. Good luck!

(wow I said more a lot in that first part...)

MemberMember
(@thatonedude77)

Posted : 03/18/2013 12:00 pm

I don't know about you guys but I never wash my face in the sink. I do the cleanser step in the shower everytime twice a day. I stare straight at the water source for a couple seconds, lightly apply cleanser everywhere for about 10 seconds and immediately wash it off without touching my face.

MemberMember
(@mama_bird)

Posted : 03/18/2013 12:44 pm

You know what I finally figured out?? -- After all the pain and active inflammation (not the actual bumps) go away from my acne, I stop using the BP and concentrate on using Salicylic Acid or AHA treatments.

What I think is happening is that the BP does indeed kill the bacteria preventing more inflammation, but afterward the skin needs exfoliating to clear out the puss and plugs. BP will not help with that! It will only create dry, crusty, clogged skin that seems to not improve or even get worse. This is the time to exfoliate using an SA or AHA. (You could use the BP and SA (or AHA) together, but if you're really dried out I would not suggest it. )

I've tried the Regimen back before Dan had his own products and while it works, my personal regimen needed tweeking. When i'd only stick to the BP as treatment my face was a mess! These days I'm always alternating every several days between BP and SAs or AHAs because that's just how my skin best responds to it. (I think i just have really lazy skin when it comes to cell turnover.)

So if your pain is gone, and the acne inflammation is somewhat decreased (can you poke on the bumps and feel the hard plug without pain?), than I would suggest switching to SA or AHA for a few days and see how you do.

Good luck.

edit: I also never apply my BP on dry skin. I notice you let your face air dry after you wash. I personally prefer to apply my BP while my face is still warm and damp (not sogging wet). I feel it melts into my skin better and grabs the extra moisture with it. Just a thought..

MemberMember
(@foreverbold)

Posted : 03/18/2013 5:04 pm

Yes, like the others said, maybe try using more BP? Good luck:)

I have used various strengths of B.P in the past (up to 10% working my way up gradually) and all the topical prescription medications. I just have a very SEVERE form of cystic acne that absolutely no skin care regimen can manage. I have been frequenting this website since 2004.

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 03/18/2013 8:52 pm

It seems that you're following the regimen instructions perfectly well, but the only thing to check is to ensure you are using the full dose of BP that Dan recommends (which is two pumps worth if you're using his product).

Another thing that you can start to incorporate is AHA every second or third night (building up to every night if your skin can tolerate it). The AHA is applied to your face after you've applied the BP and either applied straight (preferred), or mixed in with your moisturiser (if you find its too strong at first).

If you're doing all the above, and you still arent seeing any improvements, then perhaps the regimen isnt for you and some other treatment is necessary.

Good luck to you!

(wow I said more a lot in that first part...)

Bahahaha, that cracked me up.....