Notifications
Clear all

Concered About New Regime

MemberMember
(@ajk02gt)

Posted : 03/02/2013 7:13 pm

Hello all, I am new here, but have visited plenty of times.

On thursday I went to the Dermatologist and he prescribed me to a 5% Benzoyl Peroxide Face Wash, followed by Clindamycin in the morning and Adapelene at night. He also gave me Doxycycline to take twice a day.

When I went to the store to find some face wash, I could only find a 10% Benzoyl Peroxide face wash. So i started all these products Thursday night. Right now, Saturday night (Before night treatment)

I haven't had any new acne, but parts of my face have turned quite red. Right below the mouth, above the chin area is red, along with the sides of my neck. I'm guessing this is because of the Benzoyl Peroxide wash?(After doing some reading on the internet). So this morning I used a acne face wash with not Benzoyl Peroxide. I went out to a different store and got some 4% Benzoyl Peroxide wash since I'm guessing the 10% is way too much.

Should i still wash my face tonight with the 4% BP face wash? or use the one without the BP?

Also, I have some Cortisone cream for skin irritation, could I put that on the red areas to reduce the redness?

Any Ideas on what i should do would be great!!

Thanks!!

MemberMember
(@notmeatall)

Posted : 03/04/2013 8:17 am

When you start BPO or retinoids, they will dry your skin out. Even though you are in a hurry to have pretty skin, it is a good idea to start really slowly, or the irritation will be too much and you might not be able to continue with the treatment.

I would alternate days for the BPO wash and the adapalene so that each one is used only every other day for about two weeks. You should still use the clindamycin and doxycycline as prescribed as they are antibiotics and need the correct dose to be effective.

In addition, you should moisturize your skin very well after every time you wash it. Me, personally, I put on moisturizer immediately after washing it, and then wait about 10 minutes before applying any of the prescription creams. This prevents irritation. There are lists of good moisturizers on this site. For one that is easy to get, try CeraVe Night (blue and white tear-drop shaped pump.) I bought two bottles and carried one with me so I could pat it on throughout the day.

I also like jojoba oil as recommended on this site to keep skin flake-free and less irritated and have never found it to create zits, but YMMV.

After about one week, you may be able to use the BPO wash every day. Then, after another week, you can use the adapalene every night.