Notifications
Clear all

Benzoyl Peroxide Causing Wrinkles

MemberMember
(@haleyemmanuel)

Posted : 02/25/2013 9:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

My name is Emmanuel, I am 23 years old, and I'm new to acne.org. I just purchased the regimen and have been using it for about 5 days now. Before using the regimen, I was using over the counter products (cleanser, BP, and moisturizer) for about 2 months. I didn't realize it until recently, but I have wrinkles that are deep that I have never had before. The wrinkles are in the location of my laugh lines (without laughing), corners of mouth, and crow™s feet area, and forehead. The ones that are the deepest are the laugh lines, ugh. Just to make sure that I had never had the wrinkles before, I viewed pictures that I took of myself about 2-3 months ago, and I definitely didn't have any wrinkles. I took pictures again with the same camera, to see if there was a difference of then and now and there definitely is. I got a second opinion from family members and they see the difference in wrinkles in my face as well. After searching the web, it seems to be the BP that is contributing to the wrinkles. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this effect (the wrinkles) with using acne products (specifically BP). If yes, what did you do to fix it? The BP is doing wonders for my acne but I am not so sure that it is worth it if I get wrinkles in the place of acne. Not to say wrinkles are a bad thing, but at age 23, wrinkles are definitely an unwanted side effect for people are saying that I look like I am in my 30s. I have been using the moisturizer that is a part of the regimen and 3 days ago started putting 'extra extra extra' on the areas where the wrinkles have formed. Right when I put the moisturizer on, the wrinkles go away, but once the moisturizer absorbs into my skin, the wrinkles come back. I am starting to think I should stop the regimen all together but like I had stated, it seems to be working quite well on my acne so if at all possible, I would like to continue using the regimen, but get rid of the newly formed wrinkles as well as prevent new ones.

Responses I am looking for are ones that can answer any of the below statement/questions:

If anyone else has had this problem.

If a person has had this problem, were they able to fix the problem?

If the problem was fixed, how?

Information on why BP is causing the wrinkles.

Can any other acne medications cause this to happen?

Please, if you have any info at all I would be more than happy to hear it. eusa_pray.gif

Thanks,

Emmanuel

MemberMember
(@bryzer03)

Posted : 02/25/2013 11:20 pm

Hi Emmanuel,

Yes, it is no secret that BP products contain wrinkle-creating power! The key to fighting the wrinkles is through MOISTURIZING. I used Arbonne RE9 eye cream to reduce fine lines around my eyes from 12 years of using proactive. Now that I am using Proactive+, I'm not seeing such intense drying and wrinkling as I have with the previous Proactiv.

Also, keep in mind that genetics play a huge part in how the skin ages. I'm blessed with really good genes in that department. The BPO treatments can certainly exacerbate some symptoms of early aging, but definitely look to your family of origin for a more in depth understanding of what your aging process might be like.

Take care and best of luck!