Notifications
Clear all

Diabetes Risk With Accutane

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 02/17/2013 3:01 am

Hey all. Since there is no cure for my acne, I am still researching Accutane. I have extreme doubts about it though and have done everything in my power NOT to go on it, even at low dose. However, I want to know what the reported risk of developing diabetes on Accutane might be at say, low doses ( 10 mg ) and such. Has anyone also here developed diabetes as a result of Accutane? Any input is appreciated...this decision is hard, and the depression from acne is hard to take.

Edit: Can you move this to prescription acne medication section? Sorry I musta been half asleep.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 02/17/2013 3:06 am

diabetes from accutane? where did you hear about that

MemberMember
(@flaxen)

Posted : 02/17/2013 3:47 am

Here is a link to a systematic review of all the published scientific literature on accutane and diabetes http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3380120/ You may not want to read it all... I suggest skipping to the conclusion, which basically is that accutane can actually increase insulin secretion so retinoids are being investigated as a new treatment for diabetes! So accutane causing diabetes is one thing I don't think you need to worry about - the likelihood is that it would be protective!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/17/2013 8:21 am

Accutane can actually mess with insuling levels which in certain people can induce pre diabetes so it is recommended that your glucose levels are tested along with your lipid levels and such

Good Luck

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 02/17/2013 2:57 pm

Here is a link to a systematic review of all the published scientific literature on accutane and diabetes http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3380120/ You may not want to read it all... I suggest skipping to the conclusion, which basically is that accutane can actually increase insulin secretion so retinoids are being investigated as a new treatment for diabetes! So accutane causing diabetes is one thing I don't think you need to worry about - the likelihood is that it would be protective!

That's interesting you say that. I have read numerous threads of young, healthy individuals ( not on here ) taking accutane around age 14, and two years later developing type 1 diabetes ( having been athletes, eating healthy etc.). There are so many posts like this. In fact, they even said the warning label now states it can cause high blood sugar/diabetes. So how could it prevent diabetes, I wonder? I will take a look at it though, thanks.

MemberMember
(@mahweeoh)

Posted : 02/17/2013 7:03 pm

No other input? Forum seems pretty dead lately.