Notifications
Clear all

Scars Along Jawline!

MemberMember
(@pianoman657)

Posted : 01/29/2013 6:46 am

Okay, so I'm 19, male, English. I suffered from moderately severe acne that cleared over time, it was mainly active on my jawline and lower cheeks.

I had tried every cream or prescription available but only time really helped. Some treatments caused rather nasty, almost cystic breakouts to occur that left me with some scarring on my jaw.

Now when I say scarring, I do not mean post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (red marks, which I do also have), I mean actual scarring. It is really only visible in some light and worse at some angles, when looking at it directly it appears to have some pigmentation that I suspect makes it more noticeable and to appear deeper than it may be.

I do not have the money for laser treatment or such and do not feel it that severe for surgery. What would people suggest? I have the option to start retin A if I want, but with very little active acne now I worry it may do more damage than good? Could retin A help my scars, marks or blackheads on my nose?

Any help with anything I have discussed would be appreciated,

Thanks guys!

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 01/29/2013 8:50 am

Okay, so I'm 19, male, English. I suffered from moderately severe acne that cleared over time, it was mainly active on my jawline and lower cheeks.

I had tried every cream or prescription available but only time really helped. Some treatments caused rather nasty, almost cystic breakouts to occur that left me with some scarring on my jaw.

Now when I say scarring, I do not mean post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (red marks, which I do also have), I mean actual scarring. It is really only visible in some light and worse at some angles, when looking at it directly it appears to have some pigmentation that I suspect makes it more noticeable and to appear deeper than it may be.

I do not have the money for laser treatment or such and do not feel it that severe for surgery. What would people suggest? I have the option to start retin A if I want, but with very little active acne now I worry it may do more damage than good? Could retin A help my scars, marks or blackheads on my nose?

Thanks guys!

I would get a script for Tazorac .05% cream, it will definitely clear up hyperpigmentation, blackheads and reduce the scars somewhat.

MemberMember
(@justmeuk)

Posted : 01/29/2013 1:47 pm

You could look at purchasing a dermaroller and doing it yourself.

MemberMember
(@pianoman657)

Posted : 02/02/2013 12:53 pm

Thanks guys!

I would get a script for Tazorac .05% cream, it will definitely clear up hyperpigmentation, blackheads and reduce the scars somewhat.

Thanks for the advice, I have been prescribed retin a which is also a retinoid like tazorac so will try that first and ask my derm about tazorac, thanks!

Also do you have a skin routine? I'm really struggling to find one that works for me. I've never moisturized because my skin is oily but am going to give it a try, then I usually use a face scrub and cleanser is that enough?

You could look at purchasing a dermaroller and doing it yourself.

I have read about it before and think I'd make a mess of my skin (more so than I already have) with one tbh but I appreciate your advice!

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 02/02/2013 3:58 pm

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the advice, I have been prescribed retin a which is also a retinoid like tazorac so will try that first and ask my derm about tazorac, thanks!

Also do you have a skin routine? I'm really struggling to find one that works for me. I've never moisturized because my skin is oily but am going to give it a try, then I usually use a face scrub and cleanser is that enough?

>You could look at purchasing a dermaroller and doing it yourself.

I have read about it before and think I'd make a mess of my skin (more so than I already have) with one tbh but I appreciate your advice!

Why don't you just try the retin-a on one side of your face or maybe just a certain area, remember to start off slow using it or it'll cause redness and peeling. I just use a gentle face wash, then bp gel and a moisturizer with sunscreen over that. Sunscreen will help your spots from getting darker. At night I use the retinoid and some moisturizer if i need it.

MemberMember
(@acnescar123)

Posted : 02/02/2013 10:26 pm

I would try a retinoid. However, if you're worried about it - you can ask for a less powerful one ie differin and then switch to retin a after using differin for a bit.

MemberMember
(@pianoman657)

Posted : 02/03/2013 6:10 am

I would try a retinoid. However, if you're worried about it - you can ask for a less powerful one ie differin and then switch to retin a after using differin for a bit.

Thanks for the advice, however a while ago now I had a terrible reaction to differin, acne in places was far worse than I'd ever had be because if it, I don't want to risk bringing my acne back when I've finally gotten rid of it, that's why I am apprehensive to use retin a if its only for red marks and scars