MemberMember
(@naja)

Posted : 01/24/2013 2:27 pm

Hi everyone!! Long time lurker first time poster!!

I'm 36 years old and mother to 18 month little girl. I've had acne for as long as I can remember. At least since the age of 8. Over the years I've tried many remedies with the hope of curing my disease. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case and I'm still struggling. At times it goes from a few to many and at times very painful cystic spots.

Currently I believe my main issue is with my hormones. I'm still nursing and haven't had a cycle in over 2 years. My doctor says this is normal but my face disagrees. I've also had hair loss and went back on my prenatal vitamins to help with any vitamin deficiencies while nursing. I haven't been to a derm in a while due to not wanting to take anything orally or topically applying anything that could hurt my little one while nursing.

I've started a new routine where I've stopped using all of my main acne treatments. I've tried many things in the past from prescription to OTC to DIY remedies. I've reeked havoc on my face instead of making things better. I'm calling it quits and not using anything irritating on my face.

I'm washing with Cerave foaming facial cleanser and moisturizing with nilotica shea butter. Using bare minerals matte foundation. So far so good what I have seems to be going slowly away but no new acne maybe a couple of new spots that heal quickly. I'm also changing my diet to include green smoothies. I already drink lemon water. Very rarely do I drink soda or juice. I do need to change my diet and eat less fast food/takeout.

Thanks for letting me share a bit of myself and I wish you all lots of luck in your battle with acne/scars !!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/24/2013 5:30 pm

You need to get your hormones tested. Go to an endocrinologist. With acne, hair loss, no cycle, it sounds like PCOS.

Also check out The Hormone Help Center of New York run by Dr. Redmond. His site has TONS of great info on hormonal acne and other hormonal issues.