Notifications
Clear all

Accutane For Mild-Moderate Scarring Acne

MemberMember
(@mound217)

Posted : 01/23/2013 7:53 pm

I've been debating whether to go on accutane for awhile now and my derm highly recommends it however I'm still unsure.

I've been having acne since I was 9 years old and now I'm 19. It's slowly destroying my face by covering it with scars. My pimples aren't cysts but are inflamed and I have maybe 3 or 4 of them at a time, Each one of them creates a a red mark, and an ice pick scar.

I've tried Duac, Tazorac, BP, Clindomycin, Doxycline, Minocycline, Spiranolactone, and a few other gels which I forgot the name.

Acne has been slowly taking over my life. I used to go out and socialize a lot, but now I'm mostly stick to my room. I'm really tired of this but still don't have the courage to go on Accutane. Any recommendations in what I should do? Thanks:)

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 01/23/2013 8:22 pm

I know exactly how your feel. Accutane was the only thing that really cleared me but unfortunately it has returned. I would still recommend it though because the 6 months I was clear were the best times Ive had since my acne was under control.

MemberMember
(@sound-of-hope)

Posted : 01/23/2013 8:22 pm

You seem like a good Accutane candidate because you've tried the first big three without success - retinoids, benzoyle peroxide, and antibiotics. Since you're scarring, and the breakouts are "taking over your life," I'd definitely have a serious talk with your dermatologist about it.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 01/23/2013 9:26 pm

I guess i have a similar issue. If you go on accutane, i reccomend a low dose course

MemberMember
(@sebumsucks)

Posted : 01/24/2013 12:40 am

You don't mention having tried birth control. Many women are successful controlling acne with it, although you might have to experiment with various ones to find one that works for you. I would try that before going on Accutane as side effects can be rough but it is worth it, especially if you are one of the lucky ones to go into permanent remission.

You may want to try supplementing with Vitamin D3 first (take 1000-5000IU per day) and see if that has any affect for you. It is way safer than Accutane and has in essence cured me where 3 courses of Accutane did not.

MemberMember
(@mound217)

Posted : 01/24/2013 5:22 pm

Thanks for the advice! I've actually started birth control for the last two weeks. I still have 3 months to decide on accutane b/c I can only start it after I finish my semester at college. Hopefully it won't come down to that though.

MemberMember
(@worriedmom4ever)

Posted : 07/01/2013 10:48 am

Just curious what you decided? Did you do the accutane or were you successful in using another product? IF you did try the accutane, what have your result been since you started? Thanks

MemberMember
(@mound217)

Posted : 06/24/2014 9:00 pm

I know this is a late response but I actually went on accutane with good results