Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Ever Experience This?

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 01/21/2013 2:38 pm

For the last 4 months I've had what I believe to be a rash under my lower lip to the right of my mouth. It happened after an appointment at the dentist where I had fillings and a root canal done. I thought it had to do with all the stress I was going through during that appointment, as well as all the drooling/irritation going on in that area. These bumps aren't like normal pimples, as they are very small (no head), pearly looking, and when I wash the area they will usually "pop" and leak clear fluid which dries up and forms a small amount of dry skin that flakes off. Again, these "bumps" are extremely small. I'm so baffled at this rash. I've tried cortisone cream which makes it go away but the rash returns after 5-7 days after stopping the cream, as well I've tried BP and Clindamycin gel which again makes it go away only to have it return 5-7 days after stopping use. So bizarre.

Any ideas would be helpful.

MemberMember
(@danaleer)

Posted : 01/21/2013 2:56 pm

Example

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 01/21/2013 3:01 pm

I've looked up pictures of molluscum and the bumps don't resemble the pictures. Isn't molluscum suppose to have a core? My bumps look like tiny clogged oily pores maybe from my skin being too dry? However I know something is strange because it's just in this one area and the way they pop and leak is just weird. No white stringy stuff or core, just oil or clear fluid.

MemberMember
(@pharmteam)

Posted : 01/21/2013 3:03 pm

It sounds like you have eczema based on the description of the rash and ability to heal temporarily with cortisone cream. I had the same issue, although in a different spot on my face, and had unbelievable success with Neosporin Eczema Essentials Daily Moisturizing Cream. It's about $12 at Walmart and cleared up my problem within two days. The itch went away almost instantly and the bumps were completely gone (and no longer red) within a week.

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 01/21/2013 3:15 pm

I've been told it's a form of dermatitis, which is essentially eczema. However, the area is never itchy. Was your rash itchy? Is it possible to have eczema that does not itch? I'll have to check out the Neosporin cream, thank you!

MemberMember
(@pharmteam)

Posted : 01/21/2013 3:32 pm

Yes, it is possible to have eczema that doesn't itch. Mine was located on my upper forehead near my hairline and only itched if I was sweating. The cortisone cream would help for a few days but then the rash would come back after stopping. Long term use of cortisone is about the worst thing you can do to your skin so I needed another option. Eczema is such a broad term and can take many different forms but my guess is that you're experiencing some sort of dermatitis that needs to be soothed, not killed by cortisone, BP, etc. I was skeptical about the Neo but it seriously dropped my jaw after the first night of use.

MemberMember
(@hoots)

Posted : 01/21/2013 3:45 pm

Thanks pharmteam, I was very apprehensive about putting the cortisone on my face as I've had Perioral Dermatitis in the past... BUT - I was desperate because the clindoxyl gel wasn't working and the rash kept coming back. When I had the same reaction with the cortisone I knew something more serious was going on and to be honest I thought it was my PD returning, recently I caved and went on antibiotics because that's the only thing that ever cures my PD and I'm about half way through the month with decent results but still get some bumps that leak. Interesting to know eczema can be non-itchy, I've literally research my ass off about that and could never find an answer. I'll have to try the neosporin for sure!