Notifications
Clear all

Your Favorite Tasty Foods!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/19/2013 2:27 am

What are your favorite foods that are both SIMPLE and TASTY? And of course promote the things we generally preach on here, like dairy-free, sugar-free, etc.?

I've been eating Paleo-esque for years now, but with a tight budget, limited cooking skills, and not a lot of time at home...my meals are pretty bland.

Let me hear your ideas!

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 01/19/2013 5:57 am

My grandma's recipe:

Lightly fry two medium size onions;

Add finely chopped dried apples (they need to be soaked in water before chopping);

Add crossed tomatoes or tomato paste and stir everything until it's one mass (I usually add some basilica, salt and pepper to it);

Add finely chopped apricots and walnuts.

Suits chicken or fish, yum yum! :)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/19/2013 9:36 am

Keep some things on hand so you can always make something. Off the top of my head, I recommend free range eggs, chopped frozen spinach, sweet potatoes, and of course things like onions, garlic, lemon/limes.

Scramble eggs with spinach. Bake sweet potatoes and have with spicy seasoned salt or cinnamon or both and olive oil. I also top them with spinach and a small amount of a sharp cheese. Scoop out the baked sweet potato, mash and mix with eggs to make pancakes. Tip, make them small. Since you aren't adding flour to help hold them together, smaller ones will be easier to turn. You can do this with other vegetables as well. I ate some winter squash pancakes this morning.

Also keep jars of a quality tomato pasta sauce on hand (check ingredients for crap.)For my instant tomato soup. put some spinach in a mug, then a little more than half way with the sauce, add boiling water to thin to soup. Drizzle with a little olive oil. I sometimes add a spoonful of yogurt for a cream soup. A little canned fish makes it like the soup they sell at whole foods that they claim is cioppino, the San Francisco Italian seafood soup. It isn't, but its a goud soup. This can be a good way to get a daily dose of lycopene which protects skin from the sun, and affects several of the factors that lead to acne.

Saute apples in a little butter or coconut oil just until they begin to soften. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Better than pie. Or saute or bake cut up pear and cranberries.

Also, there is a cooking for newbies thread I the pinned food an recipe thread.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 01/21/2013 4:45 am

The Meatza

The Base

1kg turkey mince

1 onion, finely chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1 egg

sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

The Topping

6 rashers bacon , cut into small pieces

1 red pepper, thinly sliced

1 green pepper, thinly sliced

1 cup tomato sauce (fresh and home made)

1 tsp dried oregano

sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Method

Heat your oven to 450 F. / 230 C.

In a bowl, mix the mince with the onion, garlic and egg.

Spread the mixture on a 16-inch pizza pan or baking tray and bake for 10 minutes.

While the crust cooks heat a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the bacon and peppers for about 5 mins.

Remove the base from the oven and pour out the juices which can be reserved for other recipes. At this point the base will have shrunk a bit.

Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the base and spread the bacon and peppers on top of the sauce. Sprinkle with the oregano.

Put the Meatza back under the grill or broiler and grill until the top starts to brown.

Serve. This recipe is intended to make 8 slices

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 01/21/2013 7:28 am

Also keep jars of a quality tomato pasta sauce on hand (check ingredients for crap.)

That made me chuckle a bit lol.gif

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 01/21/2013 8:32 am

Teff flour pancakes and greek yogurt. Sent from heaven.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/21/2013 11:54 am

Good campfire or toaster oven recipe: cut a slit lengthwise down a banana. Tuck in low sugar dark chocolate pieces, nuts if you like. Bake until soft and melted. For the campfire, you can wrap in foil.

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 04/13/2013 8:10 pm

These 2 sites have THE BEST paleo recipes ever; they are my go to; you can find a recipe for anything you want!

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/

http://www.thepaleomom.com/