Notifications
Clear all

Licorice Extract For Fading Spots

MemberMember
(@pandora3co)

Posted : 01/20/2013 12:18 pm

Has anyone tried licorice extract for fading post acne spots? It has one very good review under product reviews, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has tried it with any luck. I'm just so sick of the pimple going away after a day or two but the red spot where it was remaining for weeks!!! I've tried a couple expensive dark spot lotions with no success, and prefer non-chemical products anyway.

I already use tea tree oil ,jojoba, and emu oil for moisturisers, and a mix of ACV and lemon juice as a toner/cleanser, so I like to keep my products more natural if possible anyway.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 01/20/2013 2:51 pm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2921758/

I'm actually making a toner using white willow bark and licorice root. And i'd absolutely never use hydroquinone, even though it's mentioned in the article. Way too many risks

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/325096-white-willowlicorice-root-toner/

MemberMember
(@pandora3co)

Posted : 01/20/2013 3:06 pm

Thanks for the link. I've seen licorice mentioned as a skin spot lightner on several other web sites as well. The person reviewing it on this site said they mixed it with uva ursi extract 1/1 mix. I believe they used it all over, but I would want to try it on a spot basis first to see how I reacted to it. I'd have to order the stuff online..... I may also just try an asprin mask one or twice a week too, as it's salicylic acid without all the other chemicals that can come in OTC masks. I use a Neutrogena SA lotion now, but if I can replace that with an asprin mask I'd rather do that. I'm slowly trying to replace all the chemical laden products I use with natural alternatives where possible. I'm slowing getting there.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/20/2013 5:47 pm

At least one of Dans products contain it. I believe it is also a DHT inhibitor.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 01/20/2013 8:30 pm

I use a Neutrogena SA lotion now, but if I can replace that with an asprin mask I'd rather do that. I'm slowly trying to replace all the chemical laden products I use with natural alternatives where possible. I'm slowing getting there.

White Willow Bark contains high amounts of Salicin, the metabolic precursor to Salicylic Acid. If you're trying to use more natural products this would be a great replacement for Aspirin and other Salicylic Acid products. You can make a decoction using white willow bark powder or in shaved form. The OTC aspirin you get at the store contains other ingredients that aren't great for skin. Check out the label next time. You might have to peel back the first layer of label to get to the other ingredients. Perhaps a whole foods type store sells an aspirin that is only aspirin, but i haven't seen one. Doesn't mean it's not out there

MemberMember
(@semmer)

Posted : 01/22/2013 11:09 am

The BEST way I've erased red marks is a mask... Organic whole oatmeal ground up to almost powder (i use my magic bullet, haha), organic/local honey, whole organic yogurt. I have some really impressive pictures of the progress it makes, but I don't want my identity revealed here :( I may find a way to edit them and black my eyes out, but it still scares me.

So meanwhile, just trust me, quick, quick results. Used daily. Put the mask on until it dries all sticky. Then rinse with water.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 01/22/2013 11:36 am

There is a treatment oil from Dr. Alkalitis that contains licorice. You can try the trial size and see if it works.