Notifications
Clear all

Acne Cycles With Certain Food

MemberMember
(@vallataa)

Posted : 01/18/2013 6:22 pm

Hello there.

I've been battling what I believe is hormonal cystic acne. It was very bad last summer but with huge lifestyle changes (primarily DIET) and gaining the right knowledge I am getting better every day.

My diet consists of all natural foods and I am vegan (on the "average" day). However, I will have one day once a week or once every 2 weeks where I'll splurge and eat pretty much anything I want. Though, this has come with some realizations.

I purposely experiment with the food. So one week on this day (what I like to call "cheat day" as bodybuilders and so on refer to it) I will have, say, food that consists of no dairy (e.g. crisps, fries, etc.) and another week I'll have maybe some cake (dairy). Sometimes I'll do more of each. Some of these days I will have products consisting of lots of soy but with no dairy. All this is to experiment and get answers as to what causes my acne... as *I KNOW!* diet plays a huge role.

I've found some strange occurences (and I'm still experimenting) as to what causes acne for me. Lots of sugar (yesterday on my "cheat day" I had nothing but soda) does not cause acne (at least, I get nothing happen the same day/next day as most people will break out the next day). Also, soy does not seem to be (at least not in small amounts) a problem. I can eat chicken with no problem. But what has been a problem from what I've noticed is two things - milk products (I broke out TERRIBLY!!! a few weeks ago when I had lots of Krispy Kreme donuts, chocolate milkshake, etc.) AND... sugar free Monster?... Firstly, about the sugar free Monster Energy drink, the last two times I've had that drink the same thing has happened--within 1-4 hours later I get oily patches and where those oily patches are cysts (not huge ones but fair and hurt a bit) will appear. Is this an allergy response? Because usually it's allergies that will make you break out pretty much straight after consuming whatever it is you're allergic too, right? I do not get this problem with any other sugar-free drink or any full-sugared drink. Monster Energy does contain the most amount of ingredients for a drink (strange thing is I do not get this effect from full-sugared Monster) so I'm guessing there's something in there that I'm allergic too. Am I correct in suggesting it is an allergic issue here? Secondly, the milk... now, what's strange about this is that I can consume a big chocolate bar and be fine. But it seems to be certain milk products or LOTS OF milk products that make me break out. AND the strangest thing of all (and this is the main reason I'm here) is that I usually breakout exactly 4-5 days afterwards... this has happened a good 2-3 times. It's usually on the 5th night afterwards. My worst breakout was the day that I said "anything goes" with the milk products and I had all the Krispy Kreme donuts, hot chocolate with cream, and a lot of other junk. That same night my forehead did get oily and I had one yellowhead spring up. I could deal with that. But between days 4-6 after eating that food I was breaknig out in cysts... what's the deal here? Also, I stopped eating yogurt because the at one point I was eating 1-2 large pots of Yeo Valley Fat Free Vanilla yogurt a week, and while usually fine, the last time I had it I broke out TERRIBLY the next day. My absolute WORST breakout of them all was a night I got drunk on vodka and cider... but I've drank cider many times after this incident (I rarely drink) and been fine, so I guessed it was the vodka. What on earth would cause such a breakout in cysts in vodka?

I know this is a huge and messy message but I know somebody kind enough out there will read and put forth some answers. I'm not going to bother proof-reading this either. I would appreciate anybody's input.

Thank you.

- Vallataa

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/18/2013 7:45 pm

Most people do not break out the next day after consumption of large amounts of sugar. What happens is that sugar causes many, many bad things to happen in your body several of which contribute to acne, re hormones and inflammation.. But that acne takes weeks to form. Acne that appears the next day or so is a delayed type allergic response or intolerance. Acne that appears within an hour or so is an immediate type response. These involve different antibodies.

MemberMember
(@vallataa)

Posted : 01/18/2013 8:22 pm

Most people do not break out the next day after consumption of large amounts of sugar. What happens is that sugar causes many, many bad things to happen in your body several of which contribute to acne, re hormones and inflammation.. But that acne takes weeks to form. Acne that appears the next day or so is a delayed type allergic response or intolerance. Acne that appears within an hour or so is an immediate type response. These involve different antibodies.

So basically unless it's an immediate response (or a fast response, such as the day after) the chances are I won't ever actually be able to find out what's causing my acne because acne takes "weeks" to form?...

I've heard that before but how does this explain how on a fair amount of occasions I've noticed a "breakout" almost exactly 5 days after certain foods? As soon as I consume these bad foods I go back on my very strict, all-natural vegan diet. 5 days later, BOOM.

- Vallataa

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/19/2013 2:12 am

I noticed that when I ate a lot of dairy, I would get flareups. But like alternavista said, if you really pay attention (and assuming it's acne not an allergic reaction), what you're seeing is probably just visible inflammation of spots that were already under the skin. Eating bad foods definitely seemed to send my body into inflammation mode, so a bump that was barely noticeable under the skin would suddenly be red and angry after a milkshake or pizza.

MemberMember
(@vallataa)

Posted : 01/19/2013 1:27 pm

I noticed that when I ate a lot of dairy, I would get flareups. But like alternavista said, if you really pay attention (and assuming it's acne not an allergic reaction), what you're seeing is probably just visible inflammation of spots that were already under the skin. Eating bad foods definitely seemed to send my body into inflammation mode, so a bump that was barely noticeable under the skin would suddenly be red and angry after a milkshake or pizza.

How long would it take for you to notice the flare-up from eating/drinking dairy? Because I'm fine (unless I eat TONS) for the first 3-4 days... that's what I don't understand. Why such a long and methodical delay?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/20/2013 12:05 am

How long would it take for you to notice the flare-up from eating/drinking dairy? Because I'm fine (unless I eat TONS) for the first 3-4 days... that's what I don't understand. Why such a long and methodical delay?

If I knew the answer to that question, I'd be rich. Sorry can't help you. People react differently.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 01/28/2013 2:16 am

I notice that when I see some pimples on my shoulders, they start off as slightly inflamed bumps which turn ginormous. No idea what causesnit