Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Have A Salicylic Acid Allergy?

MemberMember
(@tallycat86)

Posted : 01/17/2013 11:08 pm

I have been breaking out with hives on my face around the same time every night. This on top of having acne is very uncomfortable. I can't figure out what could be causing it. I haven't changed anything recently. It has been going on for three months now. I use Paula's choice BHA 2% twice a day and have been for some time. Could I have suddenly developed an allergy to Salicylic Acid? Would an allergy (hives) to Salicylic acid show up immidately after applying or several hours later. I use it in the morning around 10 am and at night at 11pm but the hives start between 6pm and 8pm each night. I am seeing a doctor for this but I'm ust trying to narrow down the possible causes and wondering if anyone else has had an allergic reaction to salicylic acids. Thanks for any help.

-Christian

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 01/17/2013 11:15 pm

Are you eating or drinking something shortly before that daily? I would not guess the BHA if you've been using it for three months without a problem. Also, I don't think you'd get a reaction that long after use on a daily basis.

MemberMember
(@tallycat86)

Posted : 01/20/2013 11:29 pm

Thank you for replying. My thought is also that it would not be from the BHA since I have been using it for so long. So far there is nothing that I can link it too as far as foods or anything. It is strange because the hives are only on my face and tend to show up around the same time each day. Between 6pm and can last until about 3am. It is so frustrating! I hate to stop the BHA which has been helping to see if it could be the cause. I was hoping more people would have experience with salicylic acid allergy so that I could compare experiences.

MemberMember
(@aaahmyeye)

Posted : 03/01/2021 3:16 pm

I am not sure if you ever check this thread anymore as it's so old but I developed a salicylic allergy after years of using it. (It was actually that same product - Paula's choice bha 2% that I used to use.) It was a great product for my skin but slowly I became itchy after using it and eventually my face started to swell. I used it intermittedly so it took me a long time to pinpoint the cause but that was it. Also, aloe contains salicylic acid and that will cause my face to swell.

MemberMember
(@perfectskin_dreamer)

Posted : 08/28/2021 9:16 am

Yes, I have a terrible salicylic acid allergy. I say clear of all products with it. Causes more cystic acne, redness, horrible for me.