Notifications
Clear all

Been On Retin-A For 4 Months And Skin Is Horrible And Dry

MemberMember
(@googz)

Posted : 01/14/2013 6:21 pm

I been using this stuff for a little over 4 months now, and the stuff is always breaking me out. I don't get those small surface zits but it seems to pull huge oil filled zits from arounnd my forehead area and nose.

People told me that means its working but sometimes I have to stop using it for a week because it dries my skin out so bad especially in winter, it made my skin peel, so I use it every other day. Now My skin is peeling still and I have dark spots all over my forehead from the zits.

Should I just stop using this Retin A cream .5 mg? I never had severe acne but wanted to try this to help agaisnt wrinkling, so maybe I should just try something like Pro-Activ instead?

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 01/14/2013 6:31 pm

Sometimes the Cream doesn't agree with people, it often makes the skin to oily and has a comedogenic ingrediant "isopropyl myristate" which could be to blame for these oil filled breakouts. When I used the cream I found it made me way to oily, and didn't seem to be helping my skin much. I switched to the gel, and it seemed to help a lot with the oil, but I'm still in the initial breakout phase (week 11).

You could always try a milder product if you find your acne isn't that severe, or you could always switch to the Retin-a gel or micro gel. Micro gel is much easier on the skin because its time released, and would help control the oily skin!

Hope this helps (:

MemberMember
(@googz)

Posted : 01/14/2013 6:35 pm

Sometimes the Cream doesn't agree with people, it often makes the skin to oily and has a comedogenic ingrediant "isopropyl myristate" which could be to blame for these oil filled breakouts. When I used the cream I found it made me way to oily, and didn't seem to be helping my skin much. I switched to the gel, and it seemed to help a lot with the oil, but I'm still in the initial breakout phase (week 11).

You could always try a milder product if you find your acne isn't that severe, or you could always switch to the Retin-a gel or micro gel. Micro gel is much easier on the skin because its time released, and would help control the oily skin!

Hope this helps (:

Did you get your retin A gel online or from a perscription?

I think I should try the gel, because this cream stuff is so bad, if it really has a clogging ingredient like you said, its horrible for people with acne, maybe the cream is better for older people who don't get acne.

the micro gel is super expensive.

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 01/14/2013 6:56 pm

I got my gel from perscription, my insurence covered it. I use the 0.025% strength,which i find is plenty, because I still get a pretty good peel every morning. It is a little more drying and irritating, so you have to be more gentle with your skin.

The cream is generally for older people with more wrinkle prone skin, that don't have acne, its less harsh on the skin, and moisturizes better.

I agree, micro gel is really expensive aha, I would give the normal gel a try, even without insurence I think its only around 20-30$

MemberMember
(@googz)

Posted : 01/15/2013 1:37 am

I got my gel from perscription, my insurence covered it. I use the 0.025% strength,which i find is plenty, because I still get a pretty good peel every morning. It is a little more drying and irritating, so you have to be more gentle with your skin.

The cream is generally for older people with more wrinkle prone skin, that don't have acne, its less harsh on the skin, and moisturizes better.

I agree, micro gel is really expensive aha, I would give the normal gel a try, even without insurence I think its only around 20-30$

I ordered my retin online for a good price, but the micro is 100 dollars for a small tube lol