Notifications
Clear all

Dark Purple Lumps 5 Weeks After Subcision. Hematoma?

MemberMember
(@justmeuk)

Posted : 01/08/2013 2:59 pm

I had subcision 5 weeks ago and used the suction method. My scars haven't depressed but instead i have hard visibly raised lumps which are still dark purple 5 weeks on. I've been massaging them for the past couple of weeks but this isn't making much difference.

I'm worried that i've caused myself more damage to my skin by doing the suction method. Are they likely to disappear on their own or will i have to have cortisone injections to get rid of them?

MemberMember
(@mr-matt)

Posted : 01/08/2013 5:26 pm

I, too, did the subcision/suction method and had prolonged bruising and two subcutaneous nodules one of which I had injected with a steroid.

The doctor said I had prolonged hematoma most likely from the auctioning.

The plus side of this was I had outstanding results because the additional sub dermal bleeding created more collagen and the tethered bands never reattached.

It's been over a year since the last procedure and no scarring has reappeared.

Be patient with your prolonged healing - it should work out to your advantage.

MemberMember
(@justmeuk)

Posted : 01/09/2013 4:11 am

Thanks for your reply matt. Your amazing results inspired me to try the suction method so i really appreciate your advice.

How long after your subcision did you have the steroid injection? I'm wondering if mine might resolve on their own. I've been reading up on steroid injections and it seems a lot of people have reversed their results as the injection has destroyed too much tissue so i'm concerned about that too.

Also i read that heat can help, like a warm compress or a warm hot water bottle. Would you recommend that?

MemberMember
(@mr-matt)

Posted : 01/09/2013 8:15 am

I had the steroid injection about two weeks after my last round of subcision. I was due to go back to work and wanted a faster resolution to the swelling.

I can't say with great certainty that the shot did much good. You might be better off letting them resolve on their own as you mentioned in your last thread.

I did use warm compresses on a regular basis.

Right now, time is your best friend.

MemberMember
(@justmeuk)

Posted : 01/09/2013 12:47 pm

I'll give the warm compresses a go then and see if that helps.

I'm due to go for another round of subcision next week on (different) rolling scars which aren't tethered. Do you think it's worth doing the suction method on them too or is it only effective on tethered scars?

MemberMember
(@mr-matt)

Posted : 01/09/2013 6:35 pm

As far as I know, suctioning is only effective with rolling scars. You might want to take a look at the study again and check.

In any event, if you are still recovering from the last round of subcision/suctioning, you might want to give your face a break and not use suction this time.

Best wishes to you.

Matt

MemberMember
(@polecat)

Posted : 01/10/2013 4:05 am

Justmeuk, do you mind my asking what device you used for suctioning? And what was your schedule? Have you seen your Dr for a follow up?

I am going for my first subcision in March and doing research.

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@justmeuk)

Posted : 01/10/2013 5:21 am

As far as I know, suctioning is only effective with rolling scars. You might want to take a look at the study again and check.

In any event, if you are still recovering from the last round of subcision/suctioning, you might want to give your face a break and not use suction this time.

Best wishes to you.

Matt

They are rolling scars but they aren't tethered as they disappear when i stretch the skin out. The doctor that did my last subcision would only subcise the scars that were tethered as he doesn't believe that there is any benefit to rolling scars that aren't tethered.

I am seeing a different doctor next week and he is doing subcision on my rolling scars that aren't tethered down so i'm not having the same ones treated as last time. I'm not sure whether or not to do the suction though. I'm thinking that it will still help as it will prolong the hematoma and therefore increase the amount of healing going on under the skin but i could be wrong.

Justmeuk, do you mind my asking what device you used for suctioning? And what was your schedule? Have you seen your Dr for a follow up?

I am going for my first subcision in March and doing research.

Thank you!

I suctioned twice a day with the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner on days 3 - 10 as per the study. I put duct tape over the end to make the opening smaller so i could just suction the scars that had been treated and not the surrounding skin. I've not seen the doctor for a follow up yet as i live nearly 4 hours away but i'm seeing a different doctor next week so i will get him to have a look then.

MemberMember
(@polecat)

Posted : 01/26/2013 4:47 pm

How are things going for you justmeuk?

MemberMember
(@justmeuk)

Posted : 01/27/2013 2:29 pm

How are things going for you justmeuk?

To be honest things look pretty much the same, i still have the lumps and and they haven't got smaller despite me massaging them twice a day and applying hot compresses. I had another round of subcision but on different scars and my derm didn't want to subcise where the lumps are as he said they would bleed to much. I asked him about it but he seems to think that they will go down on their own.

MemberMember
(@polecat)

Posted : 02/20/2013 5:43 pm

How are things going for you, justmeUK?

MemberMember
(@justmeuk)

Posted : 02/21/2013 11:31 am

Hi, I still have the lumps but they've gone down a lot now. Only one of them is still visible but it has reduced in size by about 50% and although it still looks purple it's nowhere near as dark as it was. I'm hoping given more time it will disappear completely.

MemberMember
(@polecat)

Posted : 03/01/2013 5:28 pm

Can you still see the indentations of the scars? If I'm calculating this correctly...are you approximately 9 weeks past your procedure? I'm getting quite anxious in that I only have 11 days off to recuperate and I feel I am going to be NOWHERE near presentable. I will just have to have faith, I suppose and carry on.

MemberMember
(@mr-matt)

Posted : 03/01/2013 6:57 pm

Hi, I still have the lumps but they've gone down a lot now. Only one of them is still visible but it has reduced in size by about 50% and although it still looks purple it's nowhere near as dark as it was. I'm hoping given more time it will disappear completely.

RIght now, time is your best friend. It will take time for your skin to fully recover. My dark subcutaneous nodules took several weeks to resolve themselves. It was worth the wait as they filled in nicely and I no longer have craters in those areas.

MemberMember
(@polecat)

Posted : 03/01/2013 10:08 pm

RIght now, time is your best friend. It will take time for your skin to fully recover. My dark subcutaneous nodules took several weeks to resolve themselves. It was worth the wait as they filled in nicely and I no longer have craters in those areas.