Notifications
Clear all

Can Hyperpigmentation Be Permanent?

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 01/08/2013 6:23 am

I'm not talking about red marks but brown marks. I have some brown marks that are almost 4 years old. Although my PIH has faded significantly over the past few years (with the help of 2 sessions of a non-ablative laser. I did that 2 years ago and I've had extremely good results, and no side effects), my skin still remains looking blotchy and uneven. My marks are now nowhere near as dark as they used to be, but they still give my skin such a tired, dull appearance. I've taken all the suggestions given by the members on here into consideration. I'm looking into peels and Retin-A. I'm also, hopefully, going to dermastamp my face (I have some rolling scars).

Can anyone give me some insight? Can hyperpigmentation last forever? I'm not doubtful that I've somehow managed to fuck up my skin along the way, lol........but I'm really hoping that it isn't permanent. :(

MemberMember
(@vero93)

Posted : 01/08/2013 7:09 am

Hyperpigmentation and horrible acne scars will gradually improve on its own. However if you want to kick start the process, as many of us do, you can use lightning/Fading creams which when using riligously improves the appreance of scars and pigmentaion very well. Exfoliating also helps and Speeds up the process with fading scars as you are removing the build up of dead Skin that is left on the Skin- hence the microderbrasion giving a brighter appreance to the face. Exfoliating also breaks down the pigmentaion making it easier for the ligtning/fading creams to work. There are plenty of products that are out there that do help. using pure vitmin c on the face or a vitmin c Serum really helps in fading the scars. Using sunscreen also prevents the scars from getting darker. so even when the sun is not out use sunscreen. I had a few scars on my face and they have all gone, so hyperpigmenation and scars can certainlly be improved and it is not permanent. Lets turn that frown upside down lol... you will be fine !!!

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 01/08/2013 8:28 am

If you google "Dermal Hyperpigmentation" you will find that it can occur in the epidermis or dermis, and that the dermis is pretty much permanent. I have spent many frantic nights researching how to get rid of the blue-grayish marks left over from cysts. Some of those have been there 4 years. There have been some clinical trials which showed success with q-switch lasers, like what they use to remove tattoos. But nothing amazing or being used as a widespread treatment. Yeah it sucks.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/08/2013 11:43 am

I'm not talking about red marks but brown marks. I have some brown marks that are almost 4 years old. Although my PIH has faded significantly over the past few years (with the help of 2 sessions of a non-ablative laser. I did that 2 years ago and I've had extremely good results, and no side effects), my skin still remains looking blotchy and uneven. My marks are now nowhere near as dark as they used to be, but they still give my skin such a tired, dull appearance. I've taken all the suggestions given by the members on here into consideration. I'm looking into peels and Retin-A. I'm also, hopefully, going to dermastamp my face (I have some rolling scars).

Can anyone give me some insight? Can hyperpigmentation last forever? I'm not doubtful that I've somehow managed to fuck up my skin along the way, lol........but I'm really hoping that it isn't permanent. sad.png

Retin A isn't the best for brown marks.

Hydroquinone is pretty much the gold standard for fading brown marks. You can get 2% over the counter. Some names are Ambi Fade Cream or Nadinola Cream. Hydroquinone needs to be combined with regular exfoliation for best results. My jar of Nadinola is only $5.

Certain types of laser can also help, albeit the high cost.