Notifications
Clear all

Do All Females Have To Get Contraception Counseling Before Going On Accutane?

MemberMember
(@jackchi24)

Posted : 01/06/2013 12:57 pm

I'm a 25 year old female who is already taking birth control pills and I have my two forms of protection chosen- birth control pills and condoms. My derm is making me go to my gyno for contraception counseling and to get her to fill out the counseling form. I was under the impression that this wasn't mandatory and only needed if you request it if you need help choosing two forms of birth control. Is contraception counseling mandatory for all females?

MemberMember
(@asburypark101)

Posted : 01/06/2013 2:53 pm

I'm a 25 year old female who is already taking birth control pills and I have my two forms of protection chosen- birth control pills and condoms. My derm is making me go to my gyno for contraception counseling and to get her to fill out the counseling form. I was under the impression that this wasn't mandatory and only needed if you request it if you need help choosing two forms of birth control. Is contraception counseling mandatory for all females?

Its probably not mandatory medically speaking but your derm may be doing that just to prevent any possible future legal action. In fact it may be a recommendation from the derms legal department. I'm sure you will be fine, it's just another hoop to jump through , lol

MemberMember
(@jackchi24)

Posted : 01/06/2013 4:49 pm

Its probably not mandatory medically speaking but your derm may be doing that just to prevent any possible future legal action. In fact it may be a recommendation from the derms legal department. I'm sure you will be fine, it's just another hoop to jump through , lol

Yeah, I figured it was just to protect herself in case I ended up getting pregnant (which I would NEVER let happen on accutane). It's just an annoying extra step and inconvenient.