Notifications
Clear all

Benzac Ac 5%

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/02/2013 2:23 am

How long would you need to use this product for to know if it's working for you? I've been using it for about 10 days, first 3 days were just applying it on skin for 2 hours then washing it off, then the past 7 days have been applying it at night then leaving it on. Tomorrow I am applying it in the morning AND night.

P.s: My skin is getting pretty dry, flakey around the nose and chin area, is this a normal side effect of the BP? and do I NEED a moisturiser to help my acne go away? or is it just something that helps, but isn't needed, and will the flakiness go away. Thanks.

Sorry for all the topics! I'll try and slow down making so many threads.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 01/02/2013 3:28 am

Moisturising is an important step, especially if using products like BP which will dry out your skin. So getting a moisturiser is something you should do.

And yep - dryness/ flaky skin and some redness are side effects of BP use - these might lessen in time though as your skin adjusts to it. You'll need to be patient and give it time to see how your skin / acne reacts to it - a week isn't really long enough. I'd say give it at least a month, unless you start to have a bad reaction to the BP - then you should stop. But if it does turn out to work for you then it's the sort of product that you'll need to continue using to continue seeing good results/clear skin.

Also, you may want to just use 2.5% BP - it's just as effective as 5% and is supposed to cause less dryness etc but I guess that depends on how much you're using

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/02/2013 3:41 am

Moisturising is an important step, especially if using products like BP which will dry out your skin. So getting a moisturiser is something you should do.

And yep - dryness/ flaky skin and some redness are side effects of BP use - these might lessen in time though as your skin adjusts to it. You'll need to be patient and give it time to see how your skin / acne reacts to it - a week isn't really long enough. I'd say give it at least a month, unless you start to have a bad reaction to the BP - then you should stop. But if it does turn out to work for you then it's the sort of product that you'll need to continue using to continue seeing good results/clear skin.

Also, you may want to just use 2.5% BP - it's just as effective as 5% and is supposed to cause less dryness etc but I guess that depends on how much you're using

Okay, so I need to moisturise in order to get clear skin? or is it just to help with flakiness? no bad reactions, just a bit of redness near nose, itchy and dryness.

I use a fair amount, just enough to cover my face in the areas enough. Also, this is the instructions:

Always begin acne therapy with either the 2.5% or 5% Benzac. Wash and dry your hands before applying the gel.

Squeeze a small quantity of gel onto your finger tips and rub a thin film onto the affected areas. Follow this three step plan:

1. Apply once daily, leaving on the skin for 2 hours then wash off with water.
  2. After three days if no discomfort is felt, apply in the evening and leave on all night.
  3. If after 7 days, there is no redness or peeling and your skin is still not improving, apply twice a day morning and night.

My skin has improved a bit, and there has been dryness/peeling and a bit of redness, I've been using it on at night time and leaving it on for the past 7 days, so does this mean I use it TWICE a day now, in the morning and at night? or do I only do that if there is no peeling/improvement etc??

confused eusa_think.gif

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 01/02/2013 4:01 am

Yes you'll need a moisturiser. BP may clear your skin eventually but in the mean time it will cause dryness and irritation so you need a moisturiser to help deal with that and re-hydrate and balance your skin. And the dryness from BP can get pretty annoying so I bet you'll be happier using a moisturiser anyway :P

I've used this exact brand of BP before and I went straight into using it once daily and occasionally I'd use it twice daily (instead of following how they say to ease into it only because I'd used BP before and know I don't have an allergic reaction to it etc. Also I only used it twice daily sometimes as I found applying it in the morning made it harder to wear makeup over it...)

So yeah - I'd say go ahead and try it twice daily. If you start to react badly you can always go back to once a day at night.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 01/02/2013 5:32 am

Yes you'll need a moisturiser. BP may clear your skin eventually but in the mean time it will cause dryness and irritation so you need a moisturiser to help deal with that and re-hydrate and balance your skin. And the dryness from BP can get pretty annoying so I bet you'll be happier using a moisturiser anyway tongue.png

I've used this exact brand of BP before and I went straight into using it once daily and occasionally I'd use it twice daily (instead of following how they say to ease into it only because I'd used BP before and know I don't have an allergic reaction to it etc. Also I only used it twice daily sometimes as I found applying it in the morning made it harder to wear makeup over it...)

So yeah - I'd say go ahead and try it twice daily. If you start to react badly you can always go back to once a day at night.

Okay thanks 😛 Now I need to find a good moisturiser... :S

And okay, so is it saying I only need more if I'm not getting side effects or improvement? I just wanna know if my acne would get better by applying it twice a day or just at night times 😛

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 01/02/2013 5:55 am

Up to you really. How long have you been using it just once a day for? Maybe you'll want to continue doing it just once at night for a while longer and see how your skin and acne react? If you keep getting improvement, then that's great, if not, start twice a day. Or you can start using it twice a day now and see how your skin / acne react. If it is too irritating using it twice a day, you can go back to using it just once a day. Or keep using it twice a day if your skin handles it being applied twice a day well.

"If after 7 days, there is no redness or peeling and your skin is still not improving, apply twice a day morning and night"

And going by what you've said, my experiences with BP and what they've said in the above step, I think you can go ahead and apply twice a day if you want. Like I said, you can always go back to once a day if twice a day is too much.

Hope that made sense...