Notifications
Clear all

Differin// Retin-A

MemberMember
(@brisk23)

Posted : 12/31/2012 10:33 am

Hi I'm 23 years old and have had acne since I was around 16..I used to have perfect skin until I tried my friends face wash and I literally broke out everywhere and haven't been the same since :(... I feel like I've tried everything!! I stopped going to the derm for a couple years ( ugh idk why!!) but I've been going back and I am taken minocycline twice a day ..washing my face with bp 5 percent and taken differin gel0.3 at night ... Before that i was still using bp but I was using duac in morn and retina micro at night ..I was on yaz for a few years and it helped but didn't make it clear ..I feel like differin isn't going to do much if all that other stuff I was using didn't help :/ I want to try accuatane but I just had LASIK eye surgery done a few months ago so I'd have to wait :/ ...does anyone else have any experience with retina and differin ? I have alot of red marks on my cheeks so I'm hoping this helps ! I go back in feb so we"ll see !!

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 12/31/2012 10:46 am

I'm currently using Retin-A gel 0.025% a lot of people seem to swear by it showing some good improvement around 12 weeks of treatment, as for me, it's had its ups and downs, I'm on week 9 of treatment now, and it seems like the initial breakout is just barely starting to calm down... It is showing promise!

As for red marks, Retin-A is shown to help significantly, but you have to get past that initial breakout stage first.

How long did you try Retin-a micro for?

MemberMember
(@brisk23)

Posted : 12/31/2012 10:55 am

Hii thanks for responding :)! I was on retin-a for a Long time !! Maybe close to two years? And it did help alot but it's been looking the same for close to a year now so maybe my skin just got used to it?

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 12/31/2012 11:44 am

No problem (:

Usually after about 6 months you reach a "plateau" of sorts with Retin-a, where you will see the maximum results of the current strength you are using, and you only continue to maintain those results. What strength are you using? I would suggest if you're on the micro 0.04% then to bump up to the 0.1% and it would just help for that extra little bit that the other strength didnt clear.. Also a higher strength of Retin-a would exfoliate more, and should help clear up the red marks better!

MemberMember
(@brisk23)

Posted : 12/31/2012 12:32 pm

oh okay i kind of figured it might stop working after a certain amount of time because my face was staying the same :/. but i was using the retin-a micro 0.1! (and duac and bp 5%)...just switched to diffein gel 0.3 as of like 2 weeks..the marks are looking a little better..but nothing too noticeable! im hoping the switch will help

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 12/31/2012 1:21 pm

It really seems like you are doing all you can! You're on all the strongest possible treatments besides accutane.

Hope things clear up for you!

Good luck! (:

MemberMember
(@brisk23)

Posted : 12/31/2012 3:01 pm

Thanks :)hope so to!! Hope differin helps or else ill prob need accuatane next :/