Notifications
Clear all

Tetracycline- Is It Worth It?

MemberMember
(@waddles321)

Posted : 12/30/2012 1:13 pm

I have been prescribed the tetracycline antibiotics by my doctor and i'm already unsure if I want to persist with these antibiotics in this situation as my worst fears would be clearing up for a couple of months and then building an bacterial resistance and having to resort to another "Plan B" which I think i've done enough times in this journey with acne.

With the antibiotics I have also been prescribed epiduo which I am trying to use as a daily regimen with a cleanser and a moisturizer (I understand this may not have the same effect as the regimen on here). I have moderate acne (persistent) and my doctor told me that on it's own epiduo is unlikely to clear me up. However, I can't say I was thrilled with her expertise as she casually looked through the side effects of the antibiotics in a dictionary.

Anyways what I wanted to ask was firstly anyone who has used tetracycline for a long time - if you were to go back to the point where you first taking the antibiotics would you do it again and why?

And for those who have taken epiduo- has anyone with moderate acne gotten clear using this product alone?

-is this product similar enough to plain benoxyl peroxide to use in a regimen?

Finally advice on what I should do next - definitetly considering the possibility of accutane if this is unlikely to work

Also as a first time poster I would like to say how much this community as helped with it's information and please keep hope with whatever treatment you are doing. There is a solution out there for everyone. biggrin.png

I forgot to mention I have currently been on this treatment for two weeks but have seen little to no improvement which I guess is to be expected. Although sometimes false hope fuels your thoughts when you see some of the reviews on this website. I wish something could clear me in three days !

MemberMember
(@ellie93)

Posted : 12/30/2012 1:48 pm

Hi,

I have been on tetracycline, oxytetracycline and lymecycline for a few months each and none of them worked for me, which just seemed like a lot of wasted time so I can understand your point of view on that!

The only thing that has worked for me is roaccutane without any really serious side effects (just dry skin, some nose bleeds, tiredness etc), so I would recommend that if you are desperate for clear skin. However, within about 3 months of finishing roaccutane my acne came back, not quite as severe as before but there's always that risk.

It does work permanently for some people though so it's something to think about :)

MemberMember
(@waddles321)

Posted : 12/30/2012 2:22 pm

Thanks for your input. It's frustrating because everyone tells you need to wait at least three months to see if a treatment is working and then if it doesn't work it just seems pointless or frustrating for a better word.

I really am at a crossroads here the more I think about it the less I am willing to go down the antibiotics route. The fact that even if it does clear me it won't be for very long is rather offputting.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 01/06/2013 12:24 am

stay away from the antibiotics. I repeat stay away!

MemberMember
(@waddles321)

Posted : 01/10/2013 2:59 pm

Right here's my updated situation.

After seeing all the problems antibiotics cause most importantly the fact it's a short term cure to mask the acne, I felt it might be time for a change. Therefore I went to my usual GP who was unavailable for my first appointment and brought up the topic of roaccutane. He was very positive and seemed to actually care about what I was saying and said that since I have started to get scarring that it may be my best option despite only being on the antibiotics for two weeks at the time.

Today I booked an appointment with the dermatologist for 11th February which was the earliest that they could possibly do (damn the NHS waiting list haha) so i'm guessing in the meantime I should continue with what i'm doing

Although this currently doesn't seem like it's going to be an issue, with no improvements in the 3 weeks of taking antibiotics and epiduo, what should I do if my acne starts clearing up? Will roaccutane still be the way to go or should I stay on the antibiotics for longer?

Cheers

MemberMember
(@waddles321)

Posted : 01/16/2013 11:46 am

For the time being though, the antibiotics seems to start taking effect with a moderate improvement after a fairly bad IB (had about 5 inflamed blackheads pop out- originally thought it was drinking too much milk but it subsiding now) so anyway it's been exactly 4 weeks but even if I clear up more in the next 4 weeks which is when I'm due accutane, I still think I want to go with the option of accutane because I really would like a permanent cure and believe that is the best option of acheiving that goal.

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 01/18/2013 2:00 pm

they are a waste of time in my opinion. I went on many rounds of antibiotics of the tetracyclines, they cleared up skin very fast (within 2-3 weeks) and they reduce the redness but 2 months later it may all come back. also, you throw off all your good bacteria and intestinal balance make sue you take a very strong probiotic at a diff time to your antibitoic.

I don't know though, it might help you. I have a hormonal condition so it comes whenever it feels like it.

MemberMember
(@sofielinney)

Posted : 01/20/2013 1:58 pm

• I took tetracycline for two years straight and my skin was beautiful

• I came off tetracycline and within a few months i had full blown acne

• My dermatologist put me back on tetracycline and I started epiduo

• Its been three months and my acne has calmed down but no where near gone :(

• I am now considering accutane

• Just because my acne came back after i stopped, it doesn't mean everyone will have the same effect though

Hope this helps

MemberMember
(@waddles321)

Posted : 01/21/2013 3:18 am

I've looked over the forums a while and I can't find anyone that has permanently prevented their acne from returning which makes me question the logic of doctors prescribing antibiotics as they are effectively just papering over the cracks and not solving the problem.

However, I am hoping that the antibiotics reduce the chance of me getting an IB on accutane which I'm sure will be a tough way out but ultimately if it results in clear skin will definetly be the right way out.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 02/01/2013 12:40 pm

How long have you been on antis for so far?

MemberMember
(@waddles321)

Posted : 02/02/2013 4:32 am

Starting my 7th and last week on Monday I hope. The thing is my acne is improving currently, I have only a few actives and loads of red marks and scarring is now more visible. The only side effect I think I have had is a loss of appetite which hasn't been great as I have been trying to gain weight. It's not been anything drastic but from wanting to eat literally all the time, I could now survive on just two meals a day.

Hopefully even though it does seem to be working the dermatologist will still prescribe me accutane as long as I explain I want a cure for the long term and not a short term one. I'm almost hoping I don't see drastic improvements in the next week just so i'm prescribed it. The only other thing i'm curious about is whether I will get an IB or not since I haven't had a breakout in a week or two and I've heard that some people on accutane don't receive an IB. Anyway enough of my rambling but there is my current situation.

Any advice appreciated

MemberMember
(@rachel-evers)

Posted : 02/02/2013 5:20 am

I have to say I definitely feel as though I wasted my time going on this drug. It did wonders clearing up my skin, yes, but as soon as I went off it the acne came back with a vengeance. Also after going on and off and on for over a year it eventually stopped working altogether as I had built up immunity I suppose. By this point my acne was in fact worse than it had been before the treatment. This may have due to other factors but yeah. I will say though that those months it did work were such a relief, but maybe not really worth it in the long run. I'm now starting roaccutane so here's hoping that sorts me out.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 02/02/2013 8:43 pm

so basically, two months of antibiotics? IMO, after the 3rd month, I would ween off them.