Notifications
Clear all

What Works Best For Comedonal Acne?

MemberMember
(@understatement)

Posted : 12/26/2012 12:52 am

Hey, I have crazy hormonal comedonal acne that is very stubborn and seems to get worse and worse. I am desperate but do not feel like wasting 70 bucks on medical fees for going to the doc (Can't even see a derm yet)

Anyways, I was wondering, in your experiences, what the best product for treating non-inflamed acne? I hate it so much. :/

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 12/26/2012 2:22 am

Try zinc both internally and topically. Also look into diet modifications.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/26/2012 4:12 pm

Try zinc both internally and topically. Also look into diet modifications.

i second this. take 30 mg zinc chelated a day and put zinc oxide topical on your face at night. it comes in diaper rash cream.

MemberMember
(@understatement)

Posted : 12/27/2012 2:23 am

I take zinc 100 mg a day, although the diaper rash cream sounds like a good idea. I was also wondering about pan acid?

MemberMember
(@freddyharte)

Posted : 12/29/2012 9:57 am

100mg a day is a huge amount of zinc isn't it?

the RDA is 10mg.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/29/2012 5:40 pm

well the RDA is something I don't follow ever. But 100mg is a lot if it of elemental zinc. Sometimes the brands can trick you by putting 100mg but really there are only 30mg of the zinc element. If it is 100mg of zinc element then i am surprised he is not completely clear because according to this study he should be: http://archderm.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=536705

"The effects of oral zinc sulfate (corresponding to 135 mg of zinc daily) alone and in combination with vitamin A (300,000 international units) daily on acne lesions have been compared with those of vitamin A alone and of a placebo. The number of comedones, papules, pustules, and infiltrates were counted at each visit. After four weeks, there was a significant decrease in the number of papules, pustules, and infiltrates in the zinc-treated groups. The effect of zinc plus vitamin A was not better than zinc alone. After 12 weeks of treatment, the mean acne score had decreased from 100% to 15%. The mechanism for the effect of zinc therapy in acne, to our knowledge, is not presently known.

the only problem is that 100mg of zinc is supposedly dangerous but who knows really? they change the RDA a lot because they pulled some of those numbers out of the clouds.

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 12/29/2012 8:57 pm

what does the diaper rash zinc cream do for black heads and whiteheads? never heard of this before..seems sort of thick to me

MemberMember
(@skinnyminnie)

Posted : 01/04/2013 3:10 pm

I have whiteheads around my brows - sparse though - and ALL over my chin. Yeech! I've been using Paula's Choice BHA 2% which has been doing well on my forehead but my chin is as stubborn as ever. Sometimes when it's particularly bad I'll dissolve 1 tab of aspirin in a few drops warm water, mix it with ointment, and apply it for about an hour. I use ointment because it's sticky and doesn't absorb into the skin the way moisturizer does - so the aspirin specks don't flake off. I'm going to buy zinc today too.

MemberMember
(@understatement)

Posted : 01/04/2013 9:46 pm

Yeah I cut the zinc pills in half so I'm taking 50mg a day now. Still wondering what is the best way of treating this, might start drinking apple cider vinegar

MemberMember
(@skinnyminnie)

Posted : 01/04/2013 10:50 pm

^ I purchased 50mg today. Here's hoping! My chin is red and lumpy right now @@