Notifications
Clear all

To Birth Control Or To Not..

MemberMember
(@emmatorrens)

Posted : 12/19/2012 8:32 pm

Hi guys, so basically I have been on Spiro for 3 months with about a 30% reduction in facial acne. I have also been using the regimen for just over a month. I am still breaking out regularly and I know I have to be patient but I don't know what to do! I don't eat wheat, dairy, gluten, sugar or soy (and haven't for about 8mths) so any connection with nutrition is dismissed.

I have an appointment with my derm tomorrow with some blood results back, which I doubt will show anything.

Basically I need some advice! I am struggling with the idea of Birth Control.. I don't need it and i'd rather not go on it to come off an get worse later.. When i don't even know I it will work in the first place..

SO! Do you think I should keep at the spiro (200mg) and regimen and diet? Add a BCP? Do accutane? I'm moderate/severe.

Thanks guys!

MemberMember
(@flaxen)

Posted : 12/22/2012 10:07 pm

Hi! I'm taking birth control - co cyprindiol which is generic Dianette. I have been taking it for 5 weeks and I don't think it is working for me yet... I am quite well controlled on bp but I think it is just the bp... Eventually I want to come off bp and I am hopeful I will be able to just use the birth control because my sister had severe cystic acne all over her face and is now completely clear with just the birth control and nothing else! It took several months though and after she started it she was still so bad that she was offered Accutane! She refused it and is now so glad she did. So I'm hoping it will work for me in a few months time. If you have partly responded to spiro it suggests that your acne is hormonal so I think birth control might really help you... I've read several times that birth control is better than Accutane for women! How did it go with your derm? What did they recommend?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/22/2012 10:35 pm

Hi guys, so basically I have been on Spiro for 3 months with about a 30% reduction in facial acne. I have also been using the regimen for just over a month. I am still breaking out regularly and I know I have to be patient but I don't know what to do! I don't eat wheat, dairy, gluten, sugar or soy (and haven't for about 8mths) so any connection with nutrition is dismissed.

I have an appointment with my derm tomorrow with some blood results back, which I doubt will show anything.

Basically I need some advice! I am struggling with the idea of Birth Control.. I don't need it and i'd rather not go on it to come off an get worse later.. When i don't even know I it will work in the first place..

SO! Do you think I should keep at the spiro (200mg) and regimen and diet? Add a BCP? Do accutane? I'm moderate/severe.

Thanks guys!

I would just stick with the spiro. You can't really judge its effectiveness until month 6. At month 3 I wasn't even at 30% clearance so it was even more discouraging. Obviously now I'm glad I stuck it out.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/23/2012 7:11 pm

i recomend you at least give this thing called zinc oxide a shot. it cleared me in 3 days beleive it or not. i now use it every night and it keeps the acne away.

MemberMember
(@emmatorrens)

Posted : 12/26/2012 8:44 pm

Hey Guys, Hope you all had a good Christmas! I went back to my derm and she said if i don't need BC I may as well look into other things.. since i posted i am about 70% clear ( I know, fast right ) BUT come out in a scaly very very itchy rash over my neck and face and hands, without changing anything else so I am thinking it's an allergic reaction? I have been itching ever since i took it but just fort of dismissed it but it has been getting more and more scary and I didn't want to take my chances so I am weaning off BUT no fear, I am going onto Flutamide! I've heard its pretty good, and I have done a hell of lot of research (I love research!) so I'm thinking this is the best option?

Hi! I'm taking birth control - co cyprindiol which is generic Dianette. I have been taking it for 5 weeks and I don't think it is working for me yet... I am quite well controlled on bp but I think it is just the bp... Eventually I want to come off bp and I am hopeful I will be able to just use the birth control because my sister had severe cystic acne all over her face and is now completely clear with just the birth control and nothing else! It took several months though and after she started it she was still so bad that she was offered Accutane! She refused it and is now so glad she did. So I'm hoping it will work for me in a few months time. If you have partly responded to spiro it suggests that your acne is hormonal so I think birth control might really help you... I've read several times that birth control is better than Accutane for women! How did it go with your derm? What did they recommend?

MemberMember
(@flaxen)

Posted : 12/26/2012 9:46 pm

Hey Guys, Hope you all had a good Christmas! I went back to my derm and she said if i don't need BC I may as well look into other things.. since i posted i am about 70% clear ( I know, fast right ) BUT come out in a scaly very very itchy rash over my neck and face and hands, without changing anything else so I am thinking it's an allergic reaction? I have been itching ever since i took it but just fort of dismissed it but it has been getting more and more scary and I didn't want to take my chances so I am weaning off BUT no fear, I am going onto Flutamide! I've heard its pretty good, and I have done a hell of lot of research (I love research!) so I'm thinking this is the best option?

Hi! Your sister must be so happy! At least you know if it worked for her it might for you? and you have someone to talk to about it which is good! Yes, Dianette was the one i was prescribed.. I'm just concerned that i'll find the cure then have to come off it.. I really hate being a girl sometimes..I'd love to just have one pill a day that solves everything..sigh. How are you getting on now? is it kicking in now?

Glad to hear your acne has cleared up so well! Sorry to hear about the rash though, sounds nasty... It would seem odd for you to have an allergic reaction to spiro now after having taken it for so long already? Or did you mean you had a reaction to something new? Are you able to ask your derm for advice about it? Or failing that a family Dr?

Did you decide to take the birth control? Or are you just going for the flutamide instead? I'm worried about coming off bc too, although I am so well controlled on bp that hopefully I can just switch to that instead when I come off it... (The reason I'm taking birth control is because ideally I'd rather not use bp because I hate the bleaching and it makes my face several shades redder than the rest of my body!) I'm wondering if from your research you worked out if acne comes back worse than it was in the first place after stopping birth control or if it just comes back the same as it was before? I have read conflicting things... I love research too! But I am trying not to get too distracted at the moment because I have really important exams coming up!

I don't think the Dianette is working for me yet, I'm expecting it might take about 6 months. Even then I'll be scared to try stopping bp... I tried stopping last summer and was fine for three months then I had a massive breakout and now my face is a mess of post inflammatory pigmentation :( Acne sucks!

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/27/2012 12:50 am

Hi! Your sister must be so happy! At least you know if it worked for her it might for you? and you have someone to talk to about it which is good! Yes, Dianette was the one i was prescribed.. I'm just concerned that i'll find the cure then have to come off it.. I really hate being a girl sometimes..I'd love to just have one pill a day that solves everything..sigh. How are you getting on now? is it kicking in now?

i recomend you at least give this thing called zinc oxide a shot. it cleared me in 3 days beleive it or not. i now use it every night and it keeps the acne away.

I have been taking Zinc Oxide for 5 months. It hasn't worked for me.. good for you though!

well based on the way you wrote your sentence i doubt you have been "taking" zinc oxide for 5 months. I say this because it is impossible to "take" zinc oxide. Zinc oxide is not a pill. It is in diaper rash cream and you put it on topically so I hardly see how you could be taking it. you are probably taking a zinc pill. The medical research backs up zinc oxide as a remedy for acne and many people have used it successfully. I have been using it for 6 days and i'm still clear since i started it.

MemberMember
(@emmatorrens)

Posted : 12/28/2012 5:50 pm

Glad to hear your acne has cleared up so well! Sorry to hear about the rash though, sounds nasty... It would seem odd for you to have an allergic reaction to spiro now after having taken it for so long already? Or did you mean you had a reaction to something new? Are you able to ask your derm for advice about it? Or failing that a family Dr?

Did you decide to take the birth control? Or are you just going for the flutamide instead? I'm worried about coming off bc too, although I am so well controlled on bp that hopefully I can just switch to that instead when I come off it... (The reason I'm taking birth control is because ideally I'd rather not use bp because I hate the bleaching and it makes my face several shades redder than the rest of my body!) I'm wondering if from your research you worked out if acne comes back worse than it was in the first place after stopping birth control or if it just comes back the same as it was before? I have read conflicting things... I love research too! But I am trying not to get too distracted at the moment because I have really important exams coming up!

I don't think the Dianette is working for me yet, I'm expecting it might take about 6 months. Even then I'll be scared to try stopping bp... I tried stopping last summer and was fine for three months then I had a massive breakout and now my face is a mess of post inflammatory pigmentation :( Acne sucks!

Yeah, I'm going to switch to Flutamide. The rash is a bit strange I haven't changed anything else but like I said as soon as I started spiro I was really itchy and would occasionally get a hive or two but I just dismissed I wanted to be clear so much! It's basically even building up and my derm told me to stop!

How long have you been taking dianette? I'm sure it will work, reaserch said it will!

Well I have never taken it personally but friends of mine have gone on it (mainly yasmin) and have it come back A hell of a lot worse.. But different people different hormones I guess!

Oooo good luck With your exam!!

I have been taking Zinc Oxide for 5 months. It hasn't worked for me.. good for you though!

well based on the way you wrote your sentence i doubt you have been "taking" zinc oxide for 5 months. I say this because it is impossible to "take" zinc oxide. Zinc oxide is not a pill. It is in diaper rash cream and you put it on topically so I hardly see how you could be taking it. you are probably taking a zinc pill. The medical research backs up zinc oxide as a remedy for acne and many people have used it successfully. I have been using it for 6 days and i'm still clear since i started it.

There is a Zinc Oxide pill I've been taking it! I didn't even know you could use zinc oxide as a cream where would you get it?!

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/28/2012 6:52 pm

I don't think the Dianette is working for me yet, I'm expecting it might take about 6 months. Even then I'll be scared to try stopping bp... I tried stopping last summer and was fine for three months then I had a massive breakout and now my face is a mess of post inflammatory pigmentation sad.png Acne sucks!

Yeah, I'm going to switch to Flutamide. The rash is a bit strange I haven't changed anything else but like I said as soon as I started spiro I was really itchy and would occasionally get a hive or two but I just dismissed I wanted to be clear so much! It's basically even building up and my derm told me to stop!

How long have you been taking dianette? I'm sure it will work, reaserch said it will!

Well I have never taken it personally but friends of mine have gone on it (mainly yasmin) and have it come back A hell of a lot worse.. But different people different hormones I guess!

There is a Zinc Oxide pill I've been taking it! I didn't even know you could use zinc oxide as a cream where would you get it?!

it is in diaper rash cream. it has worked very well for me.

MemberMember
(@emmatorrens)

Posted : 12/28/2012 7:06 pm

Okay thanks Ichance23! Ill get some tomorrow and try it!

MemberMember
(@flaxen)

Posted : 12/29/2012 8:30 pm