Notifications
Clear all

Magnesium And Acne

MemberMember
(@yswdk)

Posted : 12/10/2012 5:42 pm

Hi im 26 years old men with oily skin and acne.

I had acne untill the age of 22. I thought i finally cleared my face, and had clear skin for past 4 years. Unfortunately, acne came back about 4months ago, along with the symptoms of constipation, miner joint pain, eczema(only on right hand, and i never had eczema). so i did a lots of research on both vitamins and herbs. Now, im taking magnesium 150mg per day for my jawline/neck acne, but im wondering if magnesium cab worsen the acne by increasing testosterone level. According to my research, magnesium plays a significant role in lowering the C-reactive protein level, which is a beneficial to acne. But on the other hand, some reports shows that the magnesium increases the testosterone level, which will lead to increase in oil production.

Im confuse can anyone clarify this?

Also, does taking saw palmetto benefical for acne in men ?

Do Please share your valuable experiences to help my sudden acne problem.

Thank you

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 12/10/2012 6:16 pm

I took Magnesium for a couple months and it didn't make any noticeable difference. I stopped taking it before I even finished the bottle.

MemberMember
(@yswdk)

Posted : 12/10/2012 7:28 pm

Sorry, but do you mean difference on the oilness or the acne? Or both?

Thank you for your reply

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 12/10/2012 8:51 pm

Both. I was also taking Chromium and Zinc, as per this thread's recommendation: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/312135-the-effects-of-mineral-imbalance-on-mineral-absorption-insulin-resistance-and-acne

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/11/2012 9:57 am

I wouldn't worry about it's testosterone boosting effects. That also applies to zinc and many other essential nutrients that also benefit acne. It usually means that it helps the body function properly and make the appropriate amounts. So if you are deficient, it results in an increase.

Magnesium is an incredibly important mineral that most people are deficient in. I'd keep taking it. But take it in the evening. It relaxes muscles and improves sleep.

MemberMember
(@royalty)

Posted : 12/12/2012 3:24 am

I went to a vitamin/mineral test yesterday even when i already figured out my acne was from unstable blood sugar. The test showed that i need chromium and magnesium and zink which is what controls the blood sugar system. So i am pretty happy now that i finally got confirmed my acne root problem!

Also i was told to use garlic and cinnamon for better blood system which i already knew and was doing :)

So yes theres a link between acne and magnesium. Probably your bloodsugar -> insulin -> hormones ->sebum -> acne

MemberMember
(@desparategirl)

Posted : 02/25/2014 7:56 pm

I went to a vitamin/mineral test yesterday even when i already figured out my acne was from unstable blood sugar. The test showed that i need chromium and magnesium and zink which is what controls the blood sugar system. So i am pretty happy now that i finally got confirmed my acne root problem!

Also i was told to use garlic and cinnamon for better blood system which i already knew and was doing smile.png

So yes theres a link between acne and magnesium. Probably your bloodsugar -> insulin -> hormones ->sebum -> acne

Cool, I think this is my problem with my acne. I'm trying to increase my intake of necessary vitamins.

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 02/26/2014 8:55 am

Supplements are good, but getting nutrition from diet is better. If the magnesium is working, keep taking it. It's great for you.

If you're zinc deficient, the best source is oysters. I like them grilled. Much tastier than pill-popping!