Notifications
Clear all

Retin-A Micro Gel: The Burning/peeling!

MemberMember
(@jrmmudlover)

Posted : 11/26/2012 1:25 pm

I just saw a dermatologist recently and was put on one ass-kick of a regimen. I'm on about day 3 of the following:

A.M.

Wash with BP cleanser (will be switching to a gentle cleanser soon)

[wait 10-ish min]

Apply BP 5%

[wait 10-ish min]

Apply SPF 50 moisturizer

P.M.

Wash with BP cleanser

[wait 10-ish min]

Apply Retin-A micro gel 4%

[wait 10-ish min]

Apply SPF 15 moisturizer

From what I've read this is part of the process, but my face gets incredibly red and burns... so bad! Especially when I apply the moisturizer. But the worst part is I have all kinds of residue and peeling skin all over my face. Again, I figure that that's supposed to happen, but I'm using a liquid foundation and my face completely rejects it--- all I end up with are these oily sinews of peeling skin all over. If I ever felt like I couldn't face the world, it's now.

How do you guys deal with all this peeling and burning? How long will it last? Is there a way to apply my make-up so that I don't look like Freddie Krueger?

Input is LOADS appreciated. injured.gif

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 11/26/2012 3:06 pm

I would try easing into the retin-a. I was told to use it every night about a year ago, and I also experienced the redness and burning so I told my derm about it. She said to use it ever other night (and very lightly) until my skin was used to it, and then start doing it every night. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@jenniferelizabeth)

Posted : 11/26/2012 7:56 pm

Oh my gosh that seems like a lot. I think maybe you should just focus on one or the other, like either benzoyl peroxide or retin-a. I think both would just be too irritating to stick with. I'm having good results with retin-a so I would suggest that. In the morning I exfoliate gently and that helps get rid of the flakes and then I just cleanse and moisturize with gentle products and at night I cleanse and use a lot of retin-a mixed with moisturizer to help spread it around. I use powder foundation because it's easy to apply, I just gently brush it on with a fluffy makeup brush and it doesn't irritate the left over flakes. The redness is annoying but over time it gets less and less and it's easier to cover up then acne so it doesn't bother me much. I hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@roselilium)

Posted : 11/28/2012 11:10 am

I agree. It is normal to peel and get slightly redder than normal when using retin-A, but not sunburny red... I think that the bp and retin-A combi is too harsh. Switch to a gentler cleanser because retin-A is a strong retinoid. About the foundation part, I totally understand what you mean about the peeling and flaking part which can be very embarrassing, especially when you're out with friends.