Notifications
Clear all

Dermabrasion Vs Chemical Peels For Scars

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/24/2012 8:22 pm

Either spot dermabrasion, or spot treating with chemicals, whole face... etc.

From my understanding, they both remove layers of skin, manually or chemically.

So, if I had either one or the other done, couldn't it improve/remove a surface scar/shallow scar, that isn't tethered down? I should probably consult a dermatologist or something, my scars are shallow, and I get how frustrating it is for those with deeper or more severe scarring, but neither is really better if it bothers you, or is in a weird place. In fact, I have scars from my face from being attacked by a cat when I was little >.>

They don't bother me at all. What bothers me are the scars that are there because of my stupidity/ lack of patience/knowledge. And I feel they can be easily treated or improved or possibly removed to the point they don't bother me anymore.

Anyone have any input on this?

I mean, if you're to remove scar tissue in the layers, new skin could grow in place?

Thanks again.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/24/2012 8:37 pm

I should probably consult a dermatologist or something.

Yes, you should. :) They will be able to tell you what options you have and will help you decide on a course of action. I think it's a really wise idea!

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 11/24/2012 8:43 pm

Chemical peels are generally more effective than dermabrasion is because the chemical exfoliants can get into the skin deeper than manual scrubbing. Of course, like what Quirky Fox said, dermatologists offer better treatments for scarring than what you can find over the counter!

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/24/2012 9:24 pm

You guys are right. It's just so frustrating that I am going through this again. I used to have one scar that was my fault that really bothered me, and now I have another that's huge on my forehead and everytime I look at it I have like Vietnam war flash backs lol... and regret and ugh. It's frustrating, and I feel this one can be easily treated because its so superficial, I'd much rather have avoided it, but what's done is done. I'm just being hella impatient. I had a doctors appointment for a mole I have that has characteristic of being cancerous, and she said she'd refer me to a derm... and she didn't.

Ugh. I feel like if I had never had picked this damn zit, I wouldn't have out myself through all this mental/emotional hell I've been going through since I've gotten it. I feel hopeless, and I come here looking for some sort of sense of hope until I can see a professional .-.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/25/2012 3:16 am

Trust us when we say we feel your pain. Everyone who posts in these threads suffers from acne scarring and we know how difficult it is. The only thing you must learn is patience. :) Patience is key!

So your doctor didn't refer you, not the end of the world. Are you going to wait until she does or take action? If you need a referral then schedule a doctor's appointment asap and go from there. If you really want the appointment with a dermatologist you need to make it clear to your doctor and do not let them talk you out of it.

Then, tell the dermatologist about how your scar(s) are making you feel and ask for their advice, stick to a treatment plan and be prepared to follow them through.

I have been fighting acne scarring for 5 years now. That's 5 full years of non-stop treatment and I am only just now beginning to see the results I've craved for so long. I did not give up, I kept my head up, kept smiling, kept seeking the positive things in life and it is paying off.

Tell yourself this: What's done is done. Don't mull over the past. Put that all aside and look to the future.

x

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/25/2012 12:10 pm

Thanks, you're right! It's hard, but I think I'll pull through, I have to. I think I'm finally figuring out how to get to old posts. This website is confusing. Apparently I have my gender wrong... that's the next thing I need to figure out .-.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 11/25/2012 12:50 pm

I've done numerous peels over the years and saw no improvement to my scars. Sure, my skin looked better for a few weeks but it was temporary.

It's always been my understanding that dermabrasion, not to be confused with microdermabrasion, is one of the most effective treatments for certain types of scars. However, it is also extremely risky, and should only be done by a doctor highly skilled with the procedure. In today's times with such powerful lasers on the market, less doctors are performing the procedure.

I have also done 5 microdermabrasion treatments. I pre-paid for 10. In terms of scar improvement, it was a complete waste of money.

As others have suggested, you really should get the opinion of a few doctors specialized in scar treatment. Don't take unnecessary risks and stay realistic. Improving scars takes time, and some treatments that work for others may not work for you.

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/25/2012 1:09 pm

Yeah, I guess that's true for every scar. But what kinds of scars were you treating with the peels? Because mine aren't like any scars I've seen, and that's why its frustrating for me.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 11/25/2012 1:30 pm

I was trying to treat ice pick and boxcar scars. If you look at my gallery, I have before/after photos up. At this part of my scar treatment journey, my scars are pretty much all shallow boxcar scars. I have only seen improvement from fractional co2 laser. My scars have improved significantly in some areas. Based on your description, it sounds like you have shallow boxcar scars. Then again, you said they're not tethered down. If that's the case, then you've likely suffered tissue loss which can be temporarily improved with a filler. Considering you're young and the scar that really concerns you is only 7 months old, it's possible some of that tissue will return as collagen rebuilds. When I was younger, some of my scars did vanish after 6-12 months. It's really hard to say what will happen with your scar, so that's why you should see a doctor and also give it time. While waiting for your scar to mature, you could always try a temporary filler (assuming it's appropriate for your scar). Have you considered that?

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/25/2012 1:34 pm

I was trying to treat ice pick and boxcar scars. If you look at my gallery, I have before/after photos up. At this part of my scar treatment journey, my scars are pretty much all shallow boxcar scars. I have only seen improvement from fractional co2 laser. My scars have improved significantly in some areas. Based on your description, it sounds like you have shallow boxcar scars. Then again, you said they're not tethered down. If that's the case, then you've likely suffered tissue loss which can be temporarily improved with a filler. Considering you're young and the scar that really concerns you is only 7 months old, it's possible some of that tissue will return as collagen rebuilds. When I was younger, some of my scars did vanish after 6-12 months. It's really hard to say what will happen with your scar, so that's why you should see a doctor and also give it time. While waiting for your scar to mature, you could always try a temporary filler (assuming it's appropriate for your scar). Have you considered that?

Well, it was a zit I popped, it never bled or scabbed over. I kept it covered in honey. It peeled, the skin, and now I'm left with this ring. It's the edges, but its not tethered down. I don't even think its indented enough to use a filler. It's level with the other skin, from my inspection.

** And if it was tissue loss, it did come back. It's filled in, but the edges .-.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 11/25/2012 1:43 pm

Is it just a discolored spot then? You really should see a dermatologist about it. Be persistent with your primary care physician and get that referral. You could be stressing over something that could be easily treated with a topical.

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/25/2012 1:50 pm

Nope. In fact, it looks a lot like the skin adjacent to it, it even wrinkles. I can't feel a difference when I rub my finger over it. But the edges, I can distinguish them still. I have dermarolled it, but havent done so in about two months. It turns red when I touch it though, sometimes. But somebody told me that its still healing, six months later. My sister said the forehead takes a while to heal. Arg, I'm trying to get a good picture for you guys but its hard to focus on... I think I may need to circle it lol. It looks worse in person

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/26/2012 2:56 pm

Okay, so I tried uploading a picture. Its really hard to see... I may try again later :/