Subcision Or Not? Conflicting Advice

MemberMember
(@kristabel)

Posted : 11/23/2012 9:02 am

So i have seen both Professor Chu and Dr Khan

Professor Chu says my scars are not tethered and will not respond to subcision

Dr Khan says they are and they will

They both did the stretch test

If subcision is performed on scars that do not need it will it make them worse?

Also what are the pros and cons of having filler with the subcision?

MemberMember
(@dgan)

Posted : 11/23/2012 6:55 pm

maybe you can try just on one or two and see how it`s reacting

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/24/2012 6:56 am

This is where you have to make a judgement call. If you stretch the scars yourself can you still see them? If yes, then chances are Dr Khan is correct. Subcision will not make anything worse provided it is done by a skilled doctor.

As for fillers, the pro's would be that they hold your skin in position for longer while the underlying structure heals which in turn helps to prevent re-tethering of scar tissue, and if using a Hyaluronic Acid based filler (like Restylane) it will help to promote collagen for long lasting results.

Cons? I think that comes down to the doctor performing the treatment. Too much filler and you end up with a bump, injected in the wrong place and you could end up with the dreaded "doughnut" look, use of a "permanent" filler like silicone (nasty stuff). Plus all the usual side effects like irritation, redness, swelling and bruising (which should resolve quickly though).

From everything I've researched, subcision plus a filler is the best option.

MemberMember
(@houtexjoe)

Posted : 11/25/2012 3:02 pm

I think you should give subcision/suction a try...most likely you have some that are tethered and some that are not...subcision will help release the ones that are tethered, and will help with callogen induction in the ones that aren't tethered.

MemberMember
(@sportsguy23)

Posted : 11/25/2012 10:27 pm

has anyone done subcision and gotten line scars after?

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/26/2012 10:53 pm

I've heard of people getting subcision, and getting scars from where the needle enters. Do you have any pictures?

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 11/26/2012 11:32 pm

What do you mean by line scars? I know a few people on this forum have ended up with raised line-like scars from subcision. The doctor didn't hit deep enough or fanned outside the actual boundaries of the scar, so they ended up with a raised, arch.

If you're prone to hypertrophic scarring or your scars are too shallow for subcision, it's my understanding that raised scars can happen, as well. However, I'm not sure if you're talking about an indent or a raised line where the needle was fanned.

MemberMember
(@sportsguy23)

Posted : 12/06/2012 9:18 pm

i ended up with a depressed line line area... nothing raised...

I am not experiencing hypertrophic...

it perhaps was the area of entry that left indent... I am going back to the doc at end of month and hoping that he can fix this completely and that it looks way better after...

I am hoping this isnt law of diminishing returns because subcision has helped my right cheek in past in fact this time my right cheek did improve yet again with little to no issues after....

this is my first LEFT cheek subcision recently and happened in that area... I will get you some pictures please PM me and i can email you or message u them

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/07/2012 7:31 am

Hmm, maybe the doctor missed a section that is possibly still tethered down?