Notifications
Clear all

Consuming Grains Caused My Acne.

MemberMember
(@samesongndance)

Posted : 11/20/2012 3:00 pm

Trying to figure out the cause of your acne sometimes feels like an exercise in futility. There are literally so many possible variables that can lead to acne that trying to control and/or pinpoint them sometimes feels impossible. After years of mild-moderate acne with cysts and nodules thrown in mix, I decided to cut all grains out of my diet and am happy to be acne free one year later. There are many reasons to cut grains out of your diet acne aside, but the acne related ones are blatant..

- 30-40% of people of European decent a gluten sensitive to some degree

- grains cause inflammation and are linked to a myriad of diseases

- consuming grains leads to insulin spikes which in turn leads to cascading hormonal responses which trigger the sebum-producing glands in your skin to produce more oil

After doing some research, quitting grains was honestly a no-brainer for me. The first thing I noticed weeks deep into the diet was that if I were to develop a spot, it had no chance of becoming inflamed anymore. In the past, if a spot were to develop I could almost guaranteed that it would become inflamed within a matter of days, but no more. Soon I was legitimately acne free for the first time since I could remember. I'm about a year deep into the diet now and I couldn't be happier. I understand were all different and what works for me may not work for you, but I would urge you to try a "Paleo" diet if you haven't already. There are so many positives to cutting grains out of your diet, clear skin may just be icing on the cake.

Aw, I can't have cake anymore..

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 11/20/2012 4:02 pm

I disagree, rice is fine. Other than that, perhaps you have a point.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 11/20/2012 4:19 pm

Thanks for sharing SameSongNDance. Many people report improved skin condition after cutting out grains, or going paleo. There have been epic debates over the gluten issue. I don't consume gluten containing grains, and there are actually ways of preparing them so that they are much easier to digest. Such as fermenting, and using sprouted grains to begin with.

Great to hear it worked for you. I think it's a step every acne sufferer should at least try for a month or two. That and dairy. And refined sugar...and basically all crappy processed foods.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/21/2012 1:18 pm

I made the same argument for years, but was still having skin problems. It wasn't until I gave up ALL grains (rice included) that I experienced my first period of clear skin.

But giving up grains wasn't enough. It's taking the gut-healing (grain free) diet along with a lot of probiotic therapy to really start healing my gut. Removing the grains took the inflammation down enough to heal me during a time I was doing good, but then I messed up my gut again by eating other foods that aren't good for it (mostly beans and sweet potatoes) and now I'm taking extra measures to fix that as well.

If rice works for you, your gut is probably less damaged than some of ours. But be careful, loading up on rice (if you have a damaged gut at all) can reverse the progress you made by removing gluten.

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 11/21/2012 1:58 pm

I made the same argument for years, but was still having skin problems. It wasn't until I gave up ALL grains (rice included) that I experienced my first period of clear skin.

But giving up grains wasn't enough. It's taking the gut-healing (grain free) diet along with a lot of probiotic therapy to really start healing my gut. Removing the grains took the inflammation down enough to heal me during a time I was doing good, but then I messed up my gut again by eating other foods that aren't good for it (mostly beans and sweet potatoes) and now I'm taking extra measures to fix that as well.

If rice works for you, your gut is probably less damaged than some of ours. But be careful, loading up on rice (if you have a damaged gut at all) can reverse the progress you made by removing gluten.

I'm really in no position to argue a case against you. From my limited knowledge of this subject, I'm unable to digest gluten (as well as dairy, corn, soy, and a plethora of fruits lol FML) and rice is absent of gluten. From what I understand, it's the gluten that damages the stomach lining, eating away at the villi that produce enzymes required to digest specific foods. Rice (from what I understand) is nutritionally (especially white) void in nutrients and is neither good nor bad. Perhaps I'm trying to justify my consumption of rice, I mean it equates to about 50% of my diet so it's understandable. I have asian friends and it would be extremely rude to decline offerings from their parents, when I go over there. I already feel bad enough declining fruit.

Even is rice isn't great, I'll gladly take this lesser of two evils.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/21/2012 5:26 pm

Lee1234- look into the fodmaps diet!!!

MemberMember
(@user146096)

Posted : 11/21/2012 6:19 pm

Lee1234- look into the fodmaps diet!!!

Whoa, that seems complicated. I'm trying to comprehend this but there's so much to take in D:. I think I'd be better off if I just stopped eating anything that even remotely tastes decent. I'll still try it though.

MemberMember
(@royalty)

Posted : 11/24/2012 2:25 am

I have cut out gluten 2 weeks ago, i see great improvments. I will keep it up and see if its going to clear me 100%

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 11/25/2012 9:01 am

I have cut out gluten 2 weeks ago, i see great improvments. I will keep it up and see if its going to clear me 100%

That's great royalty, hope it continues to help you. Is this the first elimination experiment you've done with any type of food?

MemberMember
(@royalty)

Posted : 11/25/2012 10:14 am

That's great royalty, hope it continues to help you. Is this the first elimination experiment you've done with any type of food?

No i have cut out all dairy 6-7 mounths ago. I am scared what happens if i try to eat it again. Could i break me out just because i had a long break from it?

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 11/26/2012 2:16 pm

Do you want to try? What do you miss about it? Serious question, cause maybe you miss cheese or cheesecake or sour cream, etc. I don't miss any of that stuff, and when i need a milk like substance i use coconut milk or almond milk. But it's understandable if you miss those things

MemberMember
(@bearishly)

Posted : 11/26/2012 3:23 pm

No i have cut out all dairy 6-7 mounths ago. I am scared what happens if i try to eat it again. Could i break me out just because i had a long break from it?

Start with fermented dairy like kefir. Your intestinal flora will absorb the enzymes necessary to digest milk from the lactose-eating bacteria in the kefir and you will, in essence, absorb their power. Just like Highlander!

MemberMember
(@gardenbella)

Posted : 11/26/2012 9:32 pm

I can't eat wheat products anymore and especially ones that have a lot of sugar in them or I break out. I guess I'm having an allergic reaction to wheat. Rice doesn't seem to bother me so I've switched to rice pastas. I've tried rice bread but I'd rather not eat it at all. Not very satisfying. As for diary I have to be careful there too. I believe dairy products actually metabolize in the body as sugar. Another reason to avoid it.

MemberMember
(@tweaker123)

Posted : 11/28/2012 8:11 am

are you sure its not because of the carbs and glucose in grains?? even if it gluten free like rice,

i suggest you try eating fruits and sweet potatos, and see if you break out. if you do, most likely its because the carbs in rice, not how it ''messes up your gut''

MemberMember
(@quetzl1)

Posted : 11/29/2012 9:49 pm

Rice *can* be fine, if you don't have a dysbiosis problem.

Wheat, however, is generally bad for many people including myself. If I eat wheat, I will get a proportional number of spots on my chest within 4-6 hours. Without fail. Probably a sensitivity problem. I can eat as much sugar as I want and be fine.