Notifications
Clear all

Experiences With Doxycycline And How Long Does It Take To Clear Acne

MemberMember
(@treeman)

Posted : 11/13/2012 2:30 am

hey i am a 16 year old boy who has suffered with acne for about 4 years now. i began treatment with creams and topicals such as duac and epidou it kind of worked but irritated my skin and did not full clear all my acne. i decided too start with the antibioticdoxy so far i have been taking it fro about a month with little improvements how long should it take till i see results. how long did it take for you? and how much did you take i am taking 50mg per a day ?

MemberMember
(@treeman)

Posted : 11/14/2012 6:29 pm

come on guys someone must have used it whats your experience and how long did it take for you to clear up ?

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 11/15/2012 3:59 am

well my experience is this. Antibiotics are a pointless option. Stay far away from them

MemberMember
(@ridoor)

Posted : 11/17/2012 4:07 am

ignore the guy above. Doxy will work for some.. and will usually take 4-6 weeks to see results.

MemberMember
(@treeman)

Posted : 11/19/2012 3:56 am

been using for 5 weeks still getting breakouts well gonna keep on going

MemberMember
(@lostid)

Posted : 11/19/2012 7:44 am

Well i've seen results in 1 week, the skin got clearer (but not clear!!).. then after i've stopped it all came back ( i took it for 2 months)

Yeah antibiotics are pointless if you ask me as well, but that's what derm usually prescribes prior to accutane- which works wonders.

Dan's regime works also pretty ok, but god damn I am not willing to spend 1 hour daily on my skin!

MemberMember
(@treeman)

Posted : 11/19/2012 8:26 am

i agree thats why i decided to try antibiotics, but accutante seems only to be prescribed for severe acne in my case mines inly light to moderate not cysts just many closed comedones and whitheads. i am going to wait out doxy and see if it works if not ill try the next drug until i hopefully find my soloution! or grow out of acne its been 4 bloddy long years

MemberMember
(@audreyjade)

Posted : 11/19/2012 9:24 am

I used doxycycline and it worked very well. But you can't keep taking antibiotics forever. I took mine for a couple of months and then stopped and everything came back full force....verrrrryyyyyyy slllloooowwwwllly. Just stay away from 'em. Sorry :(

You say your acne is only mild...that's great. Research this site. There are lots of things you can do to help your skin (vitamins, more fluid intake, etc.)

MemberMember
(@cittycat)

Posted : 11/19/2012 7:40 pm

Antibiotics will work for short term but once you go off of them acne returns full force

MemberMember
(@rentedname)

Posted : 11/19/2012 9:06 pm

i took doxy with a retinoid and acanya. course of doxy was about a year. then i decided to stop the antibiotics and i remained clear with retinoid and acanya ~ 6 months afterwards.

by then it was summer, and in june i took antibiotics for a non-acne related infection and i started breaking out again, the worst i've ever had it. i made the correlation that those antibiotics caused my acne, and i have since been completely against using any sort of antibiotic to treat my acne.

so my thoughts: it's possible to clear your acne with antibiotics but only if you use a retinoid/benzoyl regimen. on the other hand, antibiotics can only damage your body and it will potentially make your acne worse in the long run.

MemberMember
(@fragilesong)

Posted : 11/30/2012 6:40 pm

I'm on Doxy currently, just started this week. I had used Minocycline in the past but it didn't do much for me.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 12/30/2012 2:51 am

i took doxy with a retinoid and acanya. course of doxy was about a year. then i decided to stop the antibiotics and i remained clear with retinoid and acanya ~ 6 months afterwards.

by then it was summer, and in june i took antibiotics for a non-acne related infection and i started breaking out again, the worst i've ever had it. i made the correlation that those antibiotics caused my acne, and i have since been completely against using any sort of antibiotic to treat my acne.

so my thoughts: it's possible to clear your acne with antibiotics but only if you use a retinoid/benzoyl regimen. on the other hand, antibiotics can only damage your body and it will potentially make your acne worse in the long run.

Once again, stay away from antibiotics. They will worsen your acne tenfold

MemberMember
(@treeman)

Posted : 02/12/2013 7:22 am

any more experiences i am like 3 months in and still having constant breakouts so annoying. when does it stop think of going on accutane get acne out of my life

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 02/13/2013 10:45 am

when i was on doxy it took me about 2-3 weeks to get clear from it but that was with being on 200mg a day. each time i tried to get off of it i would start breaking out again. after almost 2 years of being on and off doxy and a few other antibiotics i am finally going to start accutane in march. i swear the derms like to try a lot of different antibiotics and a million different topicals before prescribing accutane. i am convinced if i would have been able to get it even last year i wouldnt have any scarring right now.