Notifications
Clear all

Nasal Breathing Vs. Mouth Breathing

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/12/2012 6:42 am

Greetings,

I did a few searches for nasal breathing and mouth breathing in relation to acne on these forums.

Nasal breathing in itself not a cure for acne (but as people are different, I wouldn't be surprised to know that it has cured people in the past), but rather, something that could add to overall health and aid to the big picture - the whole human body. Curing the entire body one step at a time.

A lot people breath with their mouths open and as a result, receive less oxygen to the brain and blood cells, which means less oxygen being delivered to all of the major organs.

If you guys ever find yourselves stressed out about all of these dietary restrictions and acne, try evaluating your breathing at the same time. If you catch yourself breathing out of the mouth, you're hyperventilating. There is less oxygen going to your brain and everywhere else. This could initiate the release of certain hormones that cause your body to breath just a bit faster through the mouth.

Our mouths were designed to receive food, while our nose was made to filter oxygen and deliver it directly to your lungs.

I'm quite certain I've been a mouth breather most of my life. Try breathing through your nose, and then take a slow exhale through your mouth. Close the eyes, relax, and repeat this a few times.

This breathing can be felt in your brain as a soothing sensation. When you take in oxygen through your nose, you can feel it travel from the top of your head, to the back of the brain.

Also, I do notice that nasal breathing gives me more alertness and makes me feel less tired.

It couldn't hurt to try. It's a healthy changed, and oxygen is free.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 11/12/2012 8:56 am

Inhaling through the nose spreads nitric oxide throughout the body which relaxes blood vessels lowering blood pressure. It also increases the intake of oxygen and reduces stress. Humming is even better. I've been trying to develop a humming habit.

Also, when breathing its your abdomen that should rise and expand, not your chest.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 11/12/2012 11:16 am

there are few yogic nasal breathing exercises. Helps the lymphatic system I think.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/12/2012 6:59 pm

I can attest to everything that has been said above.

I have experienced a lot of very calming effects when meditating and breathing through the nose.