Notifications
Clear all

New Acne Scar

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 11/08/2012 12:39 am

I just noticed a scar on my face that is new, from a pimple that started healing about a week ago. Is there anything I can put on it at this point that will at least help it heal a little bit better and possibly lessen the scarring? I know nothing topical will make it disappear and I'll have to live with it or deal with it another way later on, but I'm just wondering if anyone's found that anything at this stage lessens the impact a little bit. Right now I'm just putting neosporin on it.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/08/2012 5:29 am

Hey mammasay!

If your spot has only been healing for a week I wouldn't stress too much about the scar at this stage. Can you describe what it looks like? If it's indented it's still early days. Your body is still healing the spot so it's possible that it will fill in as time goes on. If it's more like a red spot, but is level with your skin then it is likely not going to scar but may take some time for the redness to fade. Discolouration by itself is not considered a scar.

As a side note, Neosporin is not really a good product to be using long term. Most doctors here advise against using it as it can cause dermatitis (not nice!). A much, much, much better option is something to keep the skin moist and free from bacteria while it heals. Look into a product called Bacitracin, it's fantastic. Neosporin contains Bacitracin but it also contains other ingredients which, when used long term, can cause irritation etc.

Personally, when I'm worried about a sore turning into a scar I simply use pawpaw ointment. It has anti-bacterial and antimicrobial properties, is safe to use long term and best of all it's cheap! I used Bacitracin for a little while but switched to pawpaw ointment and haven't looked back. :)

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 11/08/2012 11:08 am

Hey mammasay!

If your spot has only been healing for a week I wouldn't stress too much about the scar at this stage. Can you describe what it looks like? If it's indented it's still early days. Your body is still healing the spot so it's possible that it will fill in as time goes on. If it's more like a red spot, but is level with your skin then it is likely not going to scar but may take some time for the redness to fade. Discolouration by itself is not considered a scar.

As a side note, Neosporin is not really a good product to be using long term. Most doctors here advise against using it as it can cause dermatitis (not nice!). A much, much, much better option is something to keep the skin moist and free from bacteria while it heals. Look into a product called Bacitracin, it's fantastic. Neosporin contains Bacitracin but it also contains other ingredients which, when used long term, can cause irritation etc.

Personally, when I'm worried about a sore turning into a scar I simply use pawpaw ointment. It has anti-bacterial and antimicrobial properties, is safe to use long term and best of all it's cheap! I used Bacitracin for a little while but switched to pawpaw ointment and haven't looked back. smile.png

Thanks! This is extremely helpful. I hope you're right that it might not scar permanently but it doesn't look like any of my other healed spots so I'm concerned. It's an indentation that has kind of sharp corners. This is the best picture I could find that is similar to how it looks: http://scienceofacne...brochini-et-al/ It's just one, but I still have a lot of active acne on my cheeks and now I'm worried that more are going to scar. I had severe acne when I was a teenager and had very little, if any, scarring from that, but my acne has actually been worse for the last few months since I went off birth control. I'm going back on it asap because of my skin but I'm so upset about this possible scar, when I could've just stayed on the birth control and not had permanent damage.

Edit: I should also add that it is on a very fleshy part of my cheek. Does that make it more or less likely to stay permanently indented?

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/09/2012 3:08 am

It does sound like a boxcar scar but if it's just one at this stage I would try not to stress. Chronic stress causes hormonal imbalances which can lead to further acne breakouts so try to relax and seek out options to clear your active acne first. Once you're free from acne just be gentle with your skin and see how things progress. If you feel that the indentation isn't getting better then seek the advice of a good dermatologist or doctor. The fleshy part of your cheek is actually an easier place to treat if it is scarred than say, your forehead or temples, as the skin is typically thicker on your cheeks.

I know you said you're going to go back on birth control, which is good if it helps, but have you also got a good skin care regime? I would look into it if you don't. But, if nothing else, I suggest you boost your intake of vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential to collagen formation and healing. It doesn't stay long in the body as it is quickly absorbed so a daily high dosage of it is the trick. I take vitamin C tablets daily and drink juice whenever I can. Keep it up long term to really reap the benefits. :)

Remember that even if it is a scar it is not the end of the world. There are options out there to help correct this and at the end of the day, our acne scars do not define who we are. Keep us posted!

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 11/09/2012 6:16 pm

It does sound like a boxcar scar but if it's just one at this stage I would try not to stress. Chronic stress causes hormonal imbalances which can lead to further acne breakouts so try to relax and seek out options to clear your active acne first. Once you're free from acne just be gentle with your skin and see how things progress. If you feel that the indentation isn't getting better then seek the advice of a good dermatologist or doctor. The fleshy part of your cheek is actually an easier place to treat if it is scarred than say, your forehead or temples, as the skin is typically thicker on your cheeks.

I know you said you're going to go back on birth control, which is good if it helps, but have you also got a good skin care regime? I would look into it if you don't. But, if nothing else, I suggest you boost your intake of vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential to collagen formation and healing. It doesn't stay long in the body as it is quickly absorbed so a daily high dosage of it is the trick. I take vitamin C tablets daily and drink juice whenever I can. Keep it up long term to really reap the benefits. smile.png

Remember that even if it is a scar it is not the end of the world. There are options out there to help correct this and at the end of the day, our acne scars do not define who we are. Keep us posted!

Thanks a bunch. I do have a good gentle regimen. I've been trying EVERYTHING to heal my acne naturally the last few months but it is so severe, honestly more severe than any of the pictures I see people posting on here, and nothing is working so birth control it is! At the moment I'm using Cetaphil cleanser and Cerave lotion twice a day, along with diluted tea tree oil and the Queen Helene Mint Julep mask every so often. I'm trying not to freak out about this one scar, even if it doesn't go away. My bigger fear right now is that I'm going to be really scarred when the rest of my acne goes away, but I don't have any other of these boxcar scars as far as I can tell so I'm hopeful that even if there is some more scarring it will be an easier kind to treat.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 11/10/2012 5:40 am

Bah, I just got yet another new scar this morning. cry.gif I haven't been scarring for years and I thought that as long as I let my (mild occasional) inflamed acne heal undisturbed, I wouldn't get any more scars. But these past months I've been getting quite a few tiny harmless-looking whiteheads, that have dried up and scabbed and then for some reason some of them have fallen off prematurely and left a scar (like this one today when I was washing my face and noticed a red dent in its place afterwards). I've had at least 5-10 new scars form this way this autumn, I don't frankly want to count as it is so devastating. Most of them are tiny and wouldn't really bother me at all on their own, but they all add up and I just feel like my skin keeps getting worse and worse no matter what I do. This new one also looks like it's going to stand out quite a bit even after the redness is gone, but I really hope it's going to fill in during the healing phase. In addition, looking for scar treatments and finding there isn't necessarily anything that would suit my type of scarring well is very depressing.

Sorry, I just had to get this out somewhere. I'd rather be pathetic about my scarring here than in front of my loved ones.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/10/2012 9:10 pm

I know you said you're going to go back on birth control, which is good if it helps, but have you also got a good skin care regime? I would look into it if you don't. But, if nothing else, I suggest you boost your intake of vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential to collagen formation and healing. It doesn't stay long in the body as it is quickly absorbed so a daily high dosage of it is the trick. I take vitamin C tablets daily and drink juice whenever I can. Keep it up long term to really reap the benefits. smile.png

Thanks a bunch. I do have a good gentle regimen. I've been trying EVERYTHING to heal my acne naturally the last few months but it is so severe, honestly more severe than any of the pictures I see people posting on here, and nothing is working so birth control it is! At the moment I'm using Cetaphil cleanser and Cerave lotion twice a day, along with diluted tea tree oil and the Queen Helene Mint Julep mask every so often. I'm trying not to freak out about this one scar, even if it doesn't go away. My bigger fear right now is that I'm going to be really scarred when the rest of my acne goes away, but I don't have any other of these boxcar scars as far as I can tell so I'm hopeful that even if there is some more scarring it will be an easier kind to treat.

Trying to heal things naturally is a good thing but it really isn't enough. The products you're using do not contain any 'active' ingredients. You really need to go on the attack and add some products that contain AHA's (alpha hydroxy acids). Glycolic acid, salicylic acid, citric acid are excellent. The Cerave lotion might be a bit moisturiser heavy which may actually add to your problem. AHA's are typically derived from natural sources so it's not like you're putting harsh, evil chemicals on your face. If you're interested in doing a bit of research I suggest starting with looking at the Obagi range - http://www.obagi.com/patients/product-line/clenziderm-md. I used the products listed on that page for a year and got my disgusting cystic acne under control in around 3 months. Lifesaver! I've since changed my products a bit but I would still recommend Obagi to anyone. Takes time, but it's worth it.

I'd still look into your other option of birth control or maybe an antibiotic like Doxycycline. The other option is Accutane but I'd save that for your last resort as it's not a pleasant drug. I can't stress enough the importance of eating a ton of Vitamin C though! ;)

I hope this helps and that you find something that works for you. Patience is key. I wouldn™t even begin to worry about your scarring (if you even end up with any) until after your face is nice and clear. It™s too hard to tell at this stage. xx :)

Bah, I just got yet another new scar this morning. cry.gif I haven't been scarring for years and I thought that as long as I let my (mild occasional) inflamed acne heal undisturbed, I wouldn't get any more scars. But these past months I've been getting quite a few tiny harmless-looking whiteheads, that have dried up and scabbed and then for some reason some of them have fallen off prematurely and left a scar (like this one today when I was washing my face and noticed a red dent in its place afterwards). I've had at least 5-10 new scars form this way this autumn, I don't frankly want to count as it is so devastating. Most of them are tiny and wouldn't really bother me at all on their own, but they all add up and I just feel like my skin keeps getting worse and worse no matter what I do. This new one also looks like it's going to stand out quite a bit even after the redness is gone, but I really hope it's going to fill in during the healing phase. In addition, looking for scar treatments and finding there isn't necessarily anything that would suit my type of scarring well is very depressing.

Sorry, I just had to get this out somewhere. I'd rather be pathetic about my scarring here than in front of my loved ones.

Pathetic?! Austra! You're not pathetic and it's perfectly okay to feel upset about acne and acne scarring. It's an unpleasant thing to have to deal with but you're not alone.

Redness in your skin is luckily not scarring, but I think you know that as you mentioned that your spots are still healing. If you're noticing indentations this early after a spot is resolving I wouldn't stress too much as your body may still be producing collagen in those areas. To help your body do that though you really need a good intake of Vitamin C and I'd go one step further and also take zinc. I have been using this product: http://www.swisse.com/products/body-beauty/swisse-ultiboost-hair-skin-nails. It's only one tablet a day and isn't expensive. I know I keep harping on about Vitamin C but the reason I do is because it's so very important for the production of collagen and in healing wounds. The body absorbs C really quickly and so it's essential that we keep ourselves "topped up" at all times. :)

Are you using any topicals to help keep your active acne at bay? If so, do you mind sharing what they are? When you say you can't find options/solutions for your type of scarring what were you referring to?

Sorry for all the questions. Keep your chin up and keep fighting!

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 11/11/2012 3:59 pm

Thank you for the support, Quirky Fox. :)

I was talking about small indentations, like scarred pores. Anyway, I'm happy to say that this new scar I was upset about has since improved and I don't think I'm going to mind whatever the end result will be. It is that tiny and compared to my 'actual' scars, this is really nothing.

I am taking vitamin C and also using red LEDs right now, mostly to help my new healing scars improve, and also for one scar I test needled over a week ago.

I'm not using any medication to treat my acne, although I've decided to get a prescription for some topical to help with non-inflamed acne. As for inflammation, I was hoping to keep it at bay through lifestyle, which has previously worked, but lately I have been having some trouble with that as well, so we'll see. I think I'll have to wait with any treatments until my skin has calmed down. This past month I've had 2-3 active spots all the time, although they haven't been very bad, but still too much for any scar treatments.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 11/11/2012 4:36 pm

When you say you can't find options/solutions for your type of scarring what were you referring to?

Just that after months of research, I'm still not sure what treatments I should go for and if they are suitable for my scarring. Planning one's treatments, doing research and making decisions etc is a lot of work, and no treatment sounds like the magic bullet. I've already tried the best-sounding treatment for my type of scarring (TCA cross) with very little improvement, and now I have to decide whether I should try needling, which seems like a similar but slower and safer method, or lasers, which seem more effective but may not be worth the risks in my case. Also TokyoGirl didn't see much improvement in her shallow icepicks/boxcars with her DeepFX, so I'm not entirely sure if even lasers would work for my type of shallow scarring. But well, still the current treatment plan I have is single needling for some time and then possibly DeepFX, although the jury is still out.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/15/2012 3:38 am

Research is hard, yes, but it's also worth it. Knowing what's out there is key to finding something that works for you. The hardest part is sifting through all the crap on the Internet but once you start finding the clinical studies etc then you're getting somewhere. I've wanted to quit many times while trying to improve my scarring but I kept going. It's important to me that I find something to help. :)

I've actually been researching something called Airgent. At first it looks like just a way to administer a filler but it's actually not. It's better! It sounds like it's not too expensive and the downtime isn't too bad. It's needle-less and uses high pressure air to punch through the top layer of your skin to eject Hyaluronic acid. The beauty of this is that the acid is under so much pressure that it disperses laterally and the particles are so fast/strong enough that they actually break up scar tissue and induce collagen formation. On top of that, you get an immediate effect of the actual filler plumping up your scars.

The good news is that it seems to be working really well for ice pick scarring. The results are long term and even though the filler wears off, the collagen formation continues. So the more procedures you have done the better the outcome.

Also, Hyaluronic acid is naturally found in our bodies so there is next to no risk of allergic reactions and because no lasers or needles are involved it can be performed on any skin type.

I am definitely looking into it. I am happy with my Dermarolling sessions so far but I always like to see what else is out there. :)

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 11/15/2012 4:51 pm

Trying to heal things naturally is a good thing but it really isn't enough. The products you're using do not contain any 'active' ingredients. You really need to go on the attack and add some products that contain AHA's (alpha hydroxy acids). Glycolic acid, salicylic acid, citric acid are excellent. The Cerave lotion might be a bit moisturiser heavy which may actually add to your problem. AHA's are typically derived from natural sources so it's not like you're putting harsh, evil chemicals on your face. If you're interested in doing a bit of research I suggest starting with looking at the Obagi range - http://www.obagi.com.../clenziderm-md. I used the products listed on that page for a year and got my disgusting cystic acne under control in around 3 months. Lifesaver! I've since changed my products a bit but I would still recommend Obagi to anyone. Takes time, but it's worth it.

I'd still look into your other option of birth control or maybe an antibiotic like Doxycycline. The other option is Accutane but I'd save that for your last resort as it's not a pleasant drug. I can't stress enough the importance of eating a ton of Vitamin C though! wink.png

I hope this helps and that you find something that works for you. Patience is key. I wouldn™t even begin to worry about your scarring (if you even end up with any) until after your face is nice and clear. It™s too hard to tell at this stage. xx smile.png

Thanks! I was using SA & AHA for a while and was getting no better results than I am now, but perhaps I'll use them again for the short term. I've also been on Doxycycline & Minocycline, the latter just a few weeks ago, and no improvement. I've literally tried everything. The only thing that has ever worked is birth control. I stupidly went off it a few months ago and just started taking it again so hoping to see results again soon. I was on Accutane when I was a teenager and that too did nothing long-term, though my skin is even worse right now than when I was prescribed Accutane. I wouldn't go on Accutane again for several reasons. I'm certain the problem is my hormones, and perhaps also my thyroid, which is why nothing else makes even a tiny bit of a difference. :( But thanks again for all your input! I've started taking the Vitamin C!

Ugh, I totally feel your pain! I've had bad acne on and off for about 15 years with really NO scarring and now all of a sudden things are starting to scar! My skin is the worst it's EVER been right now and apparently that's not bad enough because now I'm going to have to possibly deal with permanent marks. I just can't win.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/16/2012 3:33 am

<p><p><p>

Thanks! I was using SA & AHA for a while and was getting no better results than I am now, but perhaps I'll use them again for the short term. I've also been on Doxycycline & Minocycline, the latter just a few weeks ago, and no improvement. I've literally tried everything. The only thing that has ever worked is birth control. I stupidly went off it a few months ago and just started taking it again so hoping to see results again soon. I was on Accutane when I was a teenager and that too did nothing long-term, though my skin is even worse right now than when I was prescribed Accutane. I wouldn't go on Accutane again for several reasons. I'm certain the problem is my hormones, and perhaps also my thyroid, which is why nothing else makes even a tiny bit of a difference. sad.png But thanks again for all your input! I've started taking the Vitamin C!