Notifications
Clear all

A Few Questions About Acne Cost And Treaments

MemberMember
(@jeffery2k)

Posted : 10/30/2012 9:05 pm

I just got prescribed erythromycin benzoyl peroxide 5% topical gel. I can get the same thing without the erythrmycin for about $5. Is a prescribed version really that much more effective that it warrants a 10x increase in cost? Or am I just getting a good old screwing?

Also, with that gel, it says to store in the fridge. What about when I travel or am overnighting it somewhere? I heard that its mainly for preservation and doesn't actually ruin the efficacy if left in room temperature.

Also, I had a cyst that was removed but came back in the same location (new cyst?). Anyways, the doctor says she didn't feel a pus pocket and it was prob not a sabaecous cyst like the previous one, and just cystic acne, and that could be combated with a topical gel. What is the difference? Why does one need to be surgically removed while the other doesn't?

In 27 years of life I've only ever got the occasional whitehead near my lips during the winter that went away in a month. Now, I had an eruption these last few months where whiteheads came as fast as they disappear, I've never had a cyst of any kind before and now I have several. Could this be related to my recent weight loss (I've loss about 30 pounds in the last year)? My doctor seems to think its because I'm now sweating more because of my workouts and that's clogging the pores. She recommend that I stop using any acne treatment because a lot contain alcohol and in most cases, it actually makes it worse. Instead I'm to use a fragrance-free soap immediately before the sweat dries.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

-Jeff

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 11/01/2012 11:45 am

1. Yes, you need to keep any creams or gels that contain an antibiotic in the fridge, otherwise you're cutting the shelf life of it in half. Liquid antibiotics are not very stable and degrade very quickly. Even tablets last only a year.

2. I personally found that topical antibiotics did nothing for my acne - however that might not be the case for you. Studies show that benzoyl peroxide combined with an antibiotc like erythromycin is more effective than benzoyl peroxide alone. If you really don't think you want to spend a lot of money on this treatment, then you could try 5% benzoyl peroxide preparations, and see if they help your acne or not - then you haven't been spending 10x as much.

3. I don't know about that cyst being related to acne... if it came back in exactly the same place where it was before, then your doctor didn't remove the sac properly...so it should be the same type of cyst as it was before.

4. If you shower immediately after you work out, you should be fine and your skin shouldn't get any worse. Most people tend to see their acne decrease when they lose weight. Are you taking any supplements to help you lose weight? Do you have a special diet? If you've only been getting acne since you've been on a diet, I would say your acne is entirely diet-related...and it should be gone if you adapt your diet.

5. You shouldn't use traditional soap on your face, it's not good for your skin. Buy a simple cleanser like Cetaphil, or any one that is alcohol, soap and fragrance free.

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 11/01/2012 11:48 am

d00d.. sweating is good, it clears out the pores. But it can turn not so good if you don't wash your face/body/clothes right after sweating.

Be SUPER gentle in your approach, whatever you decide to do. ^_^

MemberMember
(@jeffery2k)

Posted : 11/01/2012 11:57 pm

Thanks for your responses. I thought maybe it was the diet. Needless to say, I ate anything I wanted back when I heavier. Now I just portion control, cut back on a lot of grain and carbs (i.e. rice, noodles, bread, etc.), reduce sugar intake and eat 3x more vegetables and fruits. So I'm not sure what could be causing it.

-Jeff

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 11/08/2012 2:53 pm

Do you eat a lot of the same things/meals? Do you have any food allergies? How restricted is your diet?

Though it could well be your body 'purging' all the nasties out...when you start eating healthy, etc. your body takes the opportunity to clean your liver, and that can manifest as acne and all kinds of weird rashes and so on. This does happen to a lot of people who make healthy lifestyle changes.