Notifications
Clear all

I Think My Derm Does Not Know What She Is Doing...

MemberMember
(@rosekospe)

Posted : 10/23/2012 11:46 pm

Hello, so a year or so ago I managed to get fairly clear skin with retin a micro. I stopped taking it, and my skin got bad, but not cysticacne bad. Just black heads, white heads, and the occasional pimple.

About 5 months ago, I started to get cystic acne on my cheeks. About 3 or four every once in awhile. I have a feeling it was because my hair was constantly in my face, and I was doing a lot of over nighters. I finally got an appointment with a dermatologist, here in Canada, at least where I live, it seems to be impossible to get one, and i have been begging for years. Since May 21st here is whathas been going on.

I started yasmin, and started getting cystic acne break outs like clock work with my period. I never used to have that. 3 packs and it didn';t stop, so for almost a whole cycle, I avoided birth control pills. Then I went on ortho try cyclin, and after 2 packs, I still had super horrid break outs like clcokwork with my pill, so I stopped. Now I am on Marvelon, and into two packs, and I constantly get cystic pimples, acne I barely used to have, all over my chin and cheeks. They freaking hurt! I keep getting indents and red marks. I feel awful! I was hoping my ski would clear before my first vacation by Christmas and I am feelig pretty crappy about that ever happening.

My skin keeps getting worse and worse. My dermatologist told me it was hormonal. I told her while on Yasmin that I never used to break out like this with my period before. She actually laughed at me and said of course it was hormonal. I was not on a birth control pill before seeing her and would get the occasional zit and tonnes of blackheads. She gave me a topical gel with sun screen, and retin a 0.05% The second time I saw her. she did nothing for me, and I bused 1.5 hours for nothing. The fourth time she gave my clindoxyl, and told me to wash my face twice a week with a 5% benzyl peroxide wash. The third time she upped my retin a micro dose, sort of. By giving me 0.04% retin a micro gel samples. just two. for 8 weeks. I ran out, so I had to go back to my0.01 ( lowes dose) retin a cream. She gave me tetracycline, but it did nothing but really hurt my stomache. She told me to quit clindoxyl gel, ebcause it interferes with tetracycline, but the pharmacist told me to take it. When I stopped taking the tetracycline, i started my clindoxyl again. When I asked if I could have a hormone test she said no. She outright ignoredmy requests for Spiro. Said nothing about it. She sai, the last time I saw her, that she was hopignt he tetracycline would clear my skin, and that mybirthcontrol would keep my acne at bay. if not, she was putting me on accutane.

I only get about 8 cycstic acne lesions during my period, the week before, during, and then mybeone pimple afterwards.

I don't feel as though i should go on accutane. I hate blood tests, they always make me faint.

If she knows the problem is hormonal,and i sure as heck feel as though it is as well.... why on earth can I not gea hormone test? My family doctor said only a dermatologist can do it :(. I don't know what to do. I want to be much better than this by Mid December. My cystic acne keeps etting worse now. Oh, yes, the cystic acne seems to come to a head fairly quickly, more so than it used too, I am just getting more now. Sorry if things are jumpled. I started my third pack of Marvelon, and I jsut had my period, and got about 5 cystic acne lesions and I can feel a few more coming in. I feel awful. am starting to avoid socializing. I no longer wear make up so this can heal better. I keep my hair up when I am at home. i drink more water, only water and green tea, than ever before. I don't eat perfectly, though I do eat better.

I wash my pillow cases every week.

A.M

I wash with cetaphil foaming cleansor

then clindoxyl

Avene moisturizor skin recovery cream

I use laroche posay fluid spf 60 t

P.M

At night, wash with cetaphil foaming cleansor

then apply pea size dam of retin a 0.05%- an hour later

No idea what to do. I have scars already, I am terrified of more. My birth control pillsconstantly make me nauseous. Every single one of them has so far and i take them at 11 pm.

Any advice is welcome.I am so at a loss. You think when you go to a dermatologist, your acne would get better, not be the worst it's been in your life after five months. I see her in a week (Nov.1st) and I am so worried I will be going for nothing, or absolutely have to go on accutane.

MemberMember
(@user187201)

Posted : 10/23/2012 11:49 pm

My advice - if you value your health, do not go on accutane, heal yourself.

MemberMember
(@rosekospe)

Posted : 10/24/2012 12:01 am

This is the advice I am looking for. How to heal this issue, and avoid going on accutane..... Thanks though :)

Oh dear, i justread your profile description on the side bar. I am so sorry you had a rough time. These are the things that have worried me. I also don't think my acne is severe enough for accutane. They come to a head sooner than I can recall, so I feel as though they are responding. my hormones are just causing more of an issue.

I just started getting cystic acne like this in the past 6-5 months. I have never really had it before.

MemberMember
(@user187201)

Posted : 10/24/2012 12:07 am

This is the advice I am looking for. How to heal this issue, and avoid going on accutane..... Thanks though smile.png

Oh dear, i justread your profile description on the side bar. I am so sorry you had a rough time. These are the things that have worried me. I also don't think my acne is severe enough for accutane. They come to a head sooner than I can recall, so I feel as though they are responding. my hormones are just causing more of an issue.

I just started getting cystic acne like this in the past 6-5 months. I have never really had it before.

I was never warned, please listen it will be the worst decision of your life. Time will heal and your body has the ability to do that. After accutane it does not

MemberMember
(@spencer6456)

Posted : 10/26/2012 10:47 pm

My dermotlogist told me to take the vitamin b6 everyday to reduce the amount of breakouts from your period. You could try taking that and see if it helps. It is also supposed to help out with cramps if you have those.

MemberMember
(@rosekospe)

Posted : 11/01/2012 7:48 pm

Thanks :). Today she put me on diane 35 ( 40$ for the generic, so I took te generic version) and Tacuo. She wants me to use cetaphils creamier face wash, as opposed to the foaming one, and the avene moisturizer. Hopefully things clear. I am going to pick up some vitamine b6 and zinc. Thanks

MemberMember
(@starrynight07)

Posted : 11/02/2012 12:52 am

I'm sorry to hear you are going through a difficult time with your acne right now. I know how frustrating it can be, especially when you think your acne is caused by hormones. Is it possible for you to go to another dermatologist?

I've never had good results with birth control pills. I had some bad side effects with Yaz and Ortho Tri Cyclen didn't do much. After five years of taking it, I finally got off Ortho Tri Cyclen in September 2011 and I'm very happy with my decision. I don't really like taking anything that's synthetic. I actually needed to stop taking it (long story) and when I started a new pack about two months after that, I got a really bad breakout on my chin! So I stopped taking it last year and my acne cleared up and my skin has been looking pretty good ever since.

Many people have had great success with Spironolactone. My dermatologist actually suggested it to me a few years ago, but I didn't want to keep taking pills. If your dermatologist ignored your request for it, I would definitely get a second opinion from another dermatologist!

Have you tried the acne.org regimen? I've been on it for a few years now and it's the only thing that's been helping me. It's really effective for hormonal acne too. I would also recommend reading through the diet/nutrition boards on this website. For me, dairy products always seem to break me out.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!