Notifications
Clear all

Is This A Shady Thing For A Plastic Surgeon To Do?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 10/08/2012 8:56 pm

After my consultation with a plastic surgeon today, I was told at the reception desk that a claim would be submitted to my insurance. I told the woman, "I was seen for possible scar revision; I thought that issue falls under the 'free consultation' category." She said, "Well, the doctor must think that your visit likely would be covered. But if your insurance denies the claim, then we'll write it off as a free consultation and refund you your co-pay."

As if that weren't odd--and unethical-seeming enough--what really gets me is what is likely to happen if my insurance does cover some of the bill. If my insurance provider were to pay something, then there'd be a balance. And who should pay that cost--for what should've been a free consultation to start with?

Then there's the fact that the surgeon plugged Juvaderm as a possibly permanent solution (telling me that it helps grow collagen, so it's possible I might not need more than two rounds of injections). And when I first mentioned subcision, he asked, "What's that?" I honestly feel that he was playing dumb with me in the hopes that I'd give up on the subject. He also told me that subcision can worsen scarring. Was that just a scare tactic to sell me on Juvaderm and laser treatment?

The more I discuss what that surgeon told me and the whole insurance situation, the more unethical and slimy things feel to me. Ugh...

P.I.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 10/08/2012 9:45 pm

If you're interested in collagen and it's formation, i'm no expert. But here's an exert from a book by Linus Pauling in regards to collagen formation and the importance of vitamin C. Also that does seem a bit shady on the plastic surgeon's part

http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/collagen.html

I'm sure there is much more info out there

MemberMember
(@soundofsilence)

Posted : 10/08/2012 10:16 pm

did this doctor advertise that he/she offered free consultations? are you by any chance in the Chicago area?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/08/2012 11:04 pm

After my consultation with a plastic surgeon today, I was told at the reception desk that a claim would be submitted to my insurance. I told the woman, "I was seen for possible scar revision; I thought that issue falls under the 'free consultation' category." She said, "Well, the doctor must think that your visit likely would be covered. But if your insurance denies the claim, then we'll write it off as a free consultation and refund you your co-pay."

As if that weren't odd--and unethical-seeming enough--what really gets me is what is likely to happen if my insurance does cover some of the bill. If my insurance provider were to pay something, then there'd be a balance. And who should pay that cost--for what should've been a free consultation to start with?

Then there's the fact that the surgeon plugged Juvaderm as a possibly permanent solution (telling me that it helps grow collagen, so it's possible I might not need more than two rounds of injections). And when I first mentioned subcision, he asked, "What's that?" I honestly feel that he was playing dumb with me in the hopes that I'd give up on the subject. He also told me that subcision can worsen scarring. Was that just a scare tactic to sell me on Juvaderm and laser treatment?

The more I discuss what that surgeon told me and the whole insurance situation, the more unethical and slimy things feel to me. Ugh...

P.I.

I hope you didn't already give your insurance information. NEVER give your insurance information before a free consultation.

If you did, call them up and demand that they honor their advertisement. Filing this as a claim could affect your insurance's willingness to cover other claims, and of course will count against any annual spending limits you have. You may need that money to cover something that actually requires payment. Insurances often take a cold view of cosmetic procedures.

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 10/08/2012 11:26 pm

P.I.

Absolutely DO NOT let them charge your insurance if in fact your consult was advertised as free.

The doctor has a right to charge for consults but not if it was advertised as free and you based your decision to see him/her upon that fact.

Like someone else said, the less you use your insurance the better, and having some doctor put random bogus charges on your insurance can impact your healthcare benefits in the future. Plus, why should you pay a co-pay if the consult was suppose to be free? Paying the co-pay means your consult wasn't free on your end.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 10/09/2012 8:50 am

did this doctor advertise that he/she offered free consultations? are you by any chance in the Chicago area?

It's not that the doctor's website advertises free consultations, but when I first scheduled the appointment, the person I spoke with told me that it should fall under the category of a free consultation. (She said this after I explained that I'd be coming in to discuss options for acne-scar revision.) So based on what I was told verbally, I'd expected the visit to be free.

To answer two other questions that were asked of me in this thread: 1) I gave my insurance info. because it was requested on the forms that I was sent to have filled out prior to my visit. I never assumed that doing so would be used against me in this manner. 2) I gave my co-pay because the receptionist told me, "The doctor indicated that it should go to insurance," and I (lamely) believed that there was no changing things at that point, as his "diagnosis" was already filled out, and he was in another room with another patient by that point.

I did not realize that this situation could count against me with my insurance company, either. I've never been in this situation before, as I've never sought "cosmetic" treatment previously. Ugh...

Now what??? It's a day later; I assume that the claim has already been sent to my insurance provider, since everything is done electronically now.

P.I.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/09/2012 9:42 am

It's not that the doctor's website advertises free consultations, but when I first scheduled the appointment, the person I spoke with told me that it should fall under the category of a free consultation. (She said this after I explained that I'd be coming in to discuss options for acne-scar revision.) So based on what I was told verbally, I'd expected the visit to be free.

To answer two other questions that were asked of me in this thread: 1) I gave my insurance info. because it was requested on the forms that I was sent to have filled out prior to my visit. I never assumed that doing so would be used against me in this manner. 2) I gave my co-pay because the receptionist told me, "The doctor indicated that it should go to insurance," and I (lamely) believed that there was no changing things at that point, as his "diagnosis" was already filled out, and he was in another room with another patient by that point.

I did not realize that this situation could count against me with my insurance company, either. I've never been in this situation before, as I've never sought "cosmetic" treatment previously. Ugh...

Now what??? It's a day later; I assume that the claim has already been sent to my insurance provider, since everything is done electronically now.

P.I.

Don't be a wuss. Call them up and tell them to cancel the claim immediately. A little anger will make any medical staff person back down quickly. It doesn't matter if they've sent it already or not. They are under obligation to cancel it and keep their promise to you.

You're letting them push you around because it's inconvenient and obviously you don't like confrontation. Stand up for yourself.

And just because there's a blank space on a form doesn't mean you have to fill it out. You're not obligated to put your Social Security # on there either.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 10/09/2012 9:44 am

Update, of sorts: I've e-mailed the office manager of the medical practice, requesting that the claim for my consultation not be sent. I clarified that if it has been sent, I want it to be cancelled, if that is even possible. I also asked that my $20 co-pay be refunded within a specific time period.

I guess I'll see how this plays out--or if I even receive a reply.

P.I.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/09/2012 9:45 am

Update, of sorts: I've e-mailed the office manager of the medical practice, requesting that the claim for my consultation not be sent. I clarified that if it has been sent, I want it to be cancelled, if that is even possible. I also asked that my $20 co-pay be refunded within a specific time period.

I guess I'll see how this plays out--or if I even receive a reply.

P.I.

Phone is better. An email is too easy to brush off. CALL THEM and get your angry voice and tell them to cancel it.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 10/09/2012 9:52 am

Don't be a wuss. Call them up and tell them to cancel the claim immediately. A little anger will make any medical staff person back down quickly. It doesn't matter if they've sent it already or not. They are under obligation to cancel it and keep their promise to you.

You're letting them push you around because it's inconvenient and obviously you don't like confrontation. Stand up for yourself.

Easier said than done by one who doesn't come from the same background as I. Don't judge what you don't understand. And that's not say that I disagree with your ultimate point: that I should push back in this situation.

I have e-mailed the the clinic's office manager, as I want a written record verifying what I was told when I made the appointment and what an office worker told me yesterday. I also wanted to document the fact that I want the claim cancelled and my $20 co-pay refunded. If I don't receive a reply within 24 hours, I will call them. (I should at least give someone a chance to respond first, now that I've gone the e-mail route.)

...Just because there's a blank space on a form doesn't mean you have to fill it out. You're not obligated to put your Social Security # on there either.

I never put my SSN on medical forms, so at least there's that. But, again, I did not think/assume that anything would be sent to my insurance provider in the first place, considering the initial conversation I had when making the appointment.

P.I.

Phone is better. An email is too easy to brush off. CALL THEM and get your angry voice and tell them to cancel it.

Read my latest post, which explains why I went the e-mail route first.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/09/2012 9:58 am

If I hear the "don't judge what you don't understand" cliche one more time, I'm going to throw up. Well, good luck, I gave you all the advice I had.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 10/09/2012 10:46 am

If I hear the "don't judge what you don't understand" cliche one more time, I'm going to throw up. Well, good luck, I gave you all the advice I had.

If you're saying that you personally hear that cliche a lot from others due to things that you've said to them, that's a sign that your approach is rather brusque.

To put things into a clearer perspective, I was raised by a mentally-ill mother who raged at/ terrified me for whatever nonsensical reasons she delved up. She also played mind games that messed with my emotional and psychological development. And my father feared her and, so, did not protect me from the abuse. So, yes, it is true that you do not know the back story that greatly shaped the non-confrontational person that I am today.

I will call the doctor's office tomorrow, if I've heard nothing by then. In the meantime, I will call my insurance provider to try to prevent the claim from being processed, if possible. I want to let my provider know that I'm disputing the creation of the claim in the first place.

P.I.

MemberMember
(@sanjoseskin)

Posted : 10/09/2012 4:29 pm

If you're saying that you personally hear that cliche a lot from others due to things that you've said to them, that's a sign that your approach is rather brusque.

To put things into a clearer perspective, I was raised by a mentally-ill mother who raged at/ terrified me for whatever nonsensical reasons she delved up. She also played mind games that messed with my emotional and psychological development. And my father feared her and, so, did not protect me from the abuse. So, yes, it is true that you do not know the back story that greatly shaped the non-confrontational person that I am today.

I will call the doctor's office tomorrow, if I've heard nothing by then. In the meantime, I will call my insurance provider to try to prevent the claim from being processed, if possible. I want to let my provider know that I'm disputing the creation of the claim in the first place.

P.I.

Clearly the office is at fault or the receptionist who gave you wrong info. However, It seems like the situation is stressing you out, I say at this point just forget it as long as your total loss is only 20 bucks and you don't get any other type of bill or deductible statement.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 10/10/2012 1:13 am

PrettyInside,

I'm sorry this happened to you. I think you took the best approach with email, and a follow-up call would be in order if you don't receive a response. If you were told in an advance that cosmetic consultations are free, then I feel the doctor is obligated to honor that claim. I would actually consider it insurance fraud for them to collect a co-pay from you and bill your insurance *after* you met with the doctor for a free cosmetic consultation. They should have told you this in advance. I think your doctor most likely saw your insurance provider on the form and realized there was a way for him to get paid for the consultation. He is likely contracted with that insurer. Had you not provided your insurance details (next time, just write N/A on the form) or provided an insurer not under contract, this would not have been an issue. To me, that's simply fraud on the part of the doctor. It's definitely not your fault.

Regardless of how this turns out, I would chalk it up to experience. As you go on more consultations, you'll learn lessons from all of them. With experience, you will have more confidence during consultations. I know it's taken time for me to push back on some recommendations and ask valid questions. During consultation, always keep in mind that you are interviewing the doctor for a job that could affect the remainder of your life. You can't be too careful. With that said, I hope you won't consider this doctor for any treatment.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 10/10/2012 9:14 am

I'm sorry this happened to you. I think you took the best approach with email, and a follow-up call would be in order if you don't receive a response.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I truly wanted a record stating the entire background story; I figured that the office manager would be less likely to deny me a fix for this situation when all the facts are laid bare in writing.

Thankfully, I received an e-mail response stating that the claim to my insurance provider has been cancelled and "all of [my] paperwork has been shredded." (I'm guessing that the paperwork comment is their way of implying that they don't want me to return. The feeling is mutual. LOL) I just need to call back today to verify my card number, so that I can get a refund of my co-pay. (Due to credit-card laws, the office only has the last four digits of my card on file.) Just to be extra cautious, I will call my insurance provider to verify that there is no existing claim for that office visit.

If you were told in an advance that cosmetic consultations are free, then I feel the doctor is obligated to honor that claim. I would actually consider it insurance fraud for them to collect a co-pay from you and bill your insurance *after* you met with the doctor for a free cosmetic consultation.

Agreed 110%. It feels fraudulent to me. *shiver*

I think your doctor most likely saw your insurance provider on the form and realized there was a way for him to get paid for the consultation. He is likely contracted with that insurer.

That's exactly it: the doctor is contracted with my insurer. Still, I never conceived of the possibility that he'd try to get paid for what should've been a free consult. Live and learn...

Had you not provided your insurance details (next time, just write N/A on the form) or provided an insurer not under contract, this would not have been an issue. To me, that's simply fraud on the part of the doctor. It's definitely not your fault.

Yes, that's the lesson I've learned from this experience: do not, under any circumstances, provide insurance info. if the first appointment is promised to be a free consultation. I won't ever make that mistake again.

Regardless of how this turns out, I would chalk it up to experience. As you go on more consultations, you'll learn lessons from all of them. With experience, you will have more confidence during consultations. I know it's taken time for me to push back on some recommendations and ask valid questions. During consultation, always keep in mind that you are interviewing the doctor for a job that could affect the remainder of your life. You can't be too careful. With that said, I hope you won't consider this doctor for any treatment.

Believe it or not, I'm very thorough and direct with my questions during office appointments. smile.png It's handling any shady dealings on the back end of things that proves difficult for me.

I already wrote off the idea of returning to that doctor due to info. that he gave me during the appointment. He tried to convince me that Juvaderm and Fraxel laser would apply to my situation, after I'd told him that I want to fix only two particular scars--at least to start. And, yes, I made it clear that I wanted a permanent fix, likely from subcision. (His response to the word subcision was--I kid you not--"What's that?" I don't believe that he doesn't know what it is; rather, I think he was playing dumb in the hopes that I'd give up on that subject. Not a good sign...)

Any way that you cut it, he doesn't seem like an honest guy; he's definitely not the doctor for me.

P.I.

MemberMember
(@tricia)

Posted : 10/10/2012 11:00 am

Probably best you don't go back to that doctor. Juvederm very rarely gives permanent results, and for me many like myself, fillers disappear after one or two weeks and do absolutely nothing! And i thought that might mean my scars were tethered down and I needed subcision but I had two different doctors tell me my scars were not right for subcision and that it would cause additional scarring. I trust one that said this, because he also added that he did perform a lot of subcision, but I just wasn't right for it. The he tried to sell me fraxel re:store which I declined because it is crap. So that is my two cents :)

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 10/10/2012 11:20 am

Probably best you don't go back to that doctor. Juvederm very rarely gives permanent results, and for me many like myself, fillers disappear after one or two weeks and do absolutely nothing!

The doctor I saw pushed the idea of Juvederm as a means to raise the level of my few deeper scars prior to relying on Fraxel laser, which, I suppose, would be a valid option for using that filler. Still, I'd stated at the start of the appointment that I don't want to resort to laser, and the doctor flat-out stated that Juvederm "can build up collagen;" so he tried selling me the idea that it alone could be considered a permanent fix, which I knew was a lie. Shady, shady, shady...

And i thought that might mean my scars were tethered down and I needed subcision but I had two different doctors tell me my scars were not right for subcision and that it would cause additional scarring. I trust one that said this, because he also added that he did perform a lot of subcision, but I just wasn't right for it. The he tried to sell me fraxel re:store which I declined because it is crap. So that is my two cents smile.png

I appreciate your $.02. :)

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 10/10/2012 11:42 am

I am glad this is working out so quickly for you.

I read your other post about his comment on subcision. I have had similar experiences during consultations. When the third plastic surgeon told me that he didn't see how subcision could improve my scars (as he looked at my skin from across the room), I asked him if he had ever done subcision. Thinking back, he did actually play dumb with me at first, and I had to explain what I meant by subcision. Eventually, he admitted that he had never tried it. In my first few consultations, I wasn't nearly as direct with doctors, and don't know why the other doctors were against subcision. Now, I kind of grill them during consultation, so I leave with less questions. Anyway, your other post about his subcision comment is actually why I made my comment about consultations.

I also don't see how doing a filler before laser makes any sense. A filler after laser makes much more sense to me.

Also, as a suggestion, you should ask whether a doctor does subcision (or any other treatment you're specifically looking for) prior to scheduling a consultation. It will save you time and frustration.

Finding a good doctor is so difficult. I wish you the best of luck!

ADD-ON:

Are your scars tethered down? If not, subcision may not be the right approach. A doctor with subcision experience should be able to give you a detailed explanation as to why subcision wouldn't work, if it's truly not a good option.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 10/10/2012 11:50 am

When the third plastic surgeon told me that he didn't see how subcision could improve my scars (as he looked at my skin from across the room), I asked him if he had ever done subcision. Thinking back, he did actually play dumb with me at first, and I had to explain what I meant by subcision. Eventually, he admitted that he had never tried it.

Ultimately, were you told by any (non-shady) plastic surgeon that subcision would work for your type of scars?

Also, as a suggestion, you should ask whether a doctor does subcision (or any other treatment you're specifically looking for) prior to scheduling a consultation. It will save you time and frustration.

Technically, I did, but the person I spoke with on the phone didn't really have an answer. Figuring that the doctor would be well-versed with the procedure--and that 1-2 of my scars would be candidates for it--I figured I could still make the appointment without having a solid answer. Now I know better: verify--preferably in writing--that a doctor is familiar with and commonly performs subcision for scars.

Granted, I may have other docs tell me that my scars aren't a good fit for subcision. But I noticed that the first (shady) doc didn't tell me that my scars aren't right for it; rather, he simply used the scare tactic that "subcision can make scarring worse." (He never added the fact that laser can, too. Heh...)

Finding a good doctor is so difficult. I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you, and ditto, if you've not found a good (non-shady) doc yet. ;) BTW, are you finding that most plastic surgeons truly offer a free consultation for the first visit, if you're going just to discuss scar-treatment options and pricing?

P.I.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 10/10/2012 12:28 pm

Ultimately, were you told by any (non-shady) plastic surgeon that subcision would work for your type of scars?

I've had one facial plastic surgeon tell me that my scars are too shallow for subcision. He said it could lead to further scarring, and was unwilling to do the procedure. I've had one dermatologist say he didn't think I would see much improvement from subcision because my scars are shallow. He also warned that I could end up with keloid scarring from it. However, despite this, he was still willing to do the procedure if I really wanted to try it. I've also had one dermatologist recommend subcision on my bound down scars. I have yet to have a plastic surgeon recommend subcision, but I think subcision is rarely practiced by "plastic surgeons".

Technically, I did, but the person I spoke with on the phone didn't really have an answer. Figuring that the doctor would be well-versed with the procedure--and that 1-2 of my scars would be candidates for it--I figured I could still make the appointment without having a solid answer. Now I know better: verify--preferably in writing--that a doctor is familiar with and commonly performs subcision for scars.

I once called a doctor's office to be sure he did subcision & excision. Despite being unsatisfied with the receptionist's answer, I scheduled the consultation, but then followed it up with an email. The doctor replied to me directly within minutes and confirmed that he did have experience with both procedures, so I kept the appointment. In another situation, a doctor actually had subcision listed on his site, so I emailed his office explaining my situation. His assistant called me back and referred me to a dermatologist in another city. I always email first now.

Granted, I may have other docs tell me that my scars aren't a good fit for subcision. But I noticed that the first (shady) doc didn't tell me that my scars aren't right for it; rather, he simply used the scare tactic that "subcision can make scarring worse." (He never added the fact that laser can, too. Heh...)

It sounds like he's just pushing laser treatment and in it for the money. Sadly, there are many like him out there.

BTW, are you finding that most plastic surgeons truly offer a free consultation for the first visit, if you're going just to discuss scar-treatment options and pricing?

Yes, I have found free consultations to be truly free. I have never provided insurance details because I don't have insurance in the USA. I just write "N/A" on the form. I've never been questioned about it or had to explain my insurance situation either. I've even been given prescriptions for Retin-A and hydroquinone during free consultations. The doctors volunteered the prescriptions too. I didn't ask for them.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 10/10/2012 2:28 pm

Are your scars tethered down? If not, subcision may not be the right approach. A doctor with subcision experience should be able to give you a detailed explanation as to why subcision wouldn't work, if it's truly not a good option.

I don't believe that they're tethered but am not 100% certain. I just pulled the skin on either side of my two most noticeable scars; both seemed to flatten out, even though one scar is fairly deep/wide. Drats.

Does that possibly mean that laser is the only option for my skin? Honestly, if I could just improve two particular scars, I might find myself feeling okay with the rest of them, nearly all of which are rolling ones.

I've had one facial plastic surgeon tell me that my scars are too shallow for subcision. He said it could lead to further scarring, and was unwilling to do the procedure. I've had one dermatologist say he didn't think I would see much improvement from subcision because my scars are shallow. He also warned that I could end up with keloid scarring from it. However, despite this, he was still willing to do the procedure if I really wanted to try it. I've also had one dermatologist recommend subcision on my bound down scars.

So you've not yet found a viable treatment option for your scars? Ugh... Who'd have thought it could be this dang hard?

I have yet to have a plastic surgeon recommend subcision, but I think subcision is rarely practiced by "plastic surgeons".

Is that to say that subcision is more often practiced by dermatologists? (I see a physician's asst. for my skin, but the two derms. in the same office do not perform such procedures, I was told.)

P.I.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 10/12/2012 2:28 am

Does that possibly mean that laser is the only option for my skin? Honestly, if I could just improve two particular scars, I might find myself feeling okay with the rest of them, nearly all of which are rolling ones.

I wish I could answer your question. It's possible your scars are tethered down at a deeper level and subcision could help. I think you need to find a doctor experienced with subcision for the right answer.

So you've not yet found a viable treatment option for your scars? Ugh... Who'd have thought it could be this dang hard?

The past year of searching for the "right" treatment has been incredibly frustrating. Every doctor seems to agree on laser treatment, but even picking a doctor for laser is difficult. At some point, I just need to make a decision and hope for the best.

Is that to say that subcision is more often practiced by dermatologists? (I see a physician's asst. for my skin, but the two derms. in the same office do not perform such procedures, I was told.)

Both plastic surgeons and dermatologists practice subcision. However, based on my experience, dermatologists, who treat acne scars, seem to have more experience with it. When researching dermatologists, look for someone who uses a title similar to cosmetic surgeon, cosmetic dermatologist or dermatologic surgeon. I would also try researching Facial Plastic Surgeons, as they are specialized with facial reconstruction.

You might find the comments by doctors here helpful:

http://www.realself.com/question/can-any-dermatologist-do-subcision-rolling-acne-scars-or-only

http://www.realself.com/question/subcision-bound-dermatoloic-surgeon

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 10/12/2012 9:42 am

I wish I could answer your question. It's possible your scars are tethered down at a deeper level and subcision could help. I think you need to find a doctor experienced with subcision for the right answer.

I agree with your point about finding a doctor experienced with subcision and excision. (For all I know, excision might be the best option for my one particularly deep scar.)

The past year of searching for the "right" treatment has been incredibly frustrating. Every doctor seems to agree on laser treatment, but even picking a doctor for laser is difficult. At some point, I just need to make a decision and hope for the best.

A whole year? Oh, wow... I'd hoped this process would be a bit faster than that. I suppose that was a naive hope.

I want to add one other thing that now seems like a shady thing about the one plastic surgeon I saw. He quoted me a price of $500 - $950 for Fraxel laser. At that time, I expressed surprise, telling him that I'd heard laser treatment costs $3K - $6K. I didn't realize at the time that there is such as thing as Fraxel re:store and re:pair. For the price quoted, I suspect it would be for the re:store version. The doc never spoke up to tell me the difference--which I suspect is because he likely doesn't offer the re:pair version and, so, didn't want me to know about it. Shady all around...

Both plastic surgeons and dermatologists practice subcision. However, based on my experience, dermatologists who treat acne scars seem to have more experience with it. When researching dermatologists, look for someone who uses a title similar to cosmetic surgeon, cosmetic dermatologist or dermatologic surgeon. I would also try researching Facial Plastic Surgeons, as they are specialized with facial reconstruction.

You might find the comments by doctors here helpful:

http://www.realself....e-scars-or-only

http://www.realself....atoloic-surgeon

Thank you for all of the fantastic advice, which I definitely will put to good use. :)

P.I.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 10/15/2012 1:42 am

I want to add one other thing that now seems like a shady thing about the one plastic surgeon I saw. He quoted me a price of $500 - $950 for Fraxel laser. At that time, I expressed surprise, telling him that I'd heard laser treatment costs $3K - $6K. I didn't realize at the time that there is such as thing as Fraxel re:store and re:pair. For the price quoted, I suspect it would be for the re:store version. The doc never spoke up to tell me the difference--which I suspect is because he likely doesn't offer the re:pair version and, so, didn't want me to know about it. Shady all around...

In your other post, you mentioned the doctor recommended Fraxel CO2. Based on cost, I would assume he was suggesting Re:store. However, Fraxel Re:store is a non-ablative Erbium laser. Fraxel Re:pair is an ablative CO2 laser. If another doctor suggests Fraxel, be sure to get clarification on the version.

Thank you for all of the fantastic advice, which I definitely will put to good use. smile.png

You're welcome. Good luck with your search and treatment! :)