Notifications
Clear all

How Do You Deal With The Burning?

MemberMember
(@paperbag)

Posted : 10/07/2012 4:37 pm

What do people use on their face when it feels like it's burning from Accutane?

Water helps only for a little while.

What is there to cool the skin down without clogging pores and causing a break out?

thanks

MemberMember
(@bobby-stephenson)

Posted : 10/07/2012 7:08 pm

Cucumber slices are pretty cooling. Why is your face burning? Mine burned when I tried to put BP on my face during the initial breakout, that was a big mistake. I washed it off and it stopped burning.

MemberMember
(@paperbag)

Posted : 10/07/2012 8:22 pm

I thought it was common for people to feel like their face was burning, like a sunburn, while on Accutane? I have seen people refer to the "tane burn". That's what I thought it was?

Is burning a common side effect, or am I the only one?

Cucumber slices is an interesting idea. Don't know if could get them to stay in place, but an interesting idea. thanks.

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 10/07/2012 8:39 pm

When people talk about tane burn they generally mean the reddish effect your skin can pick up. I have not felt any actual burning, and I havent heard anyone else mention it either. Make sure you are using completely un-medicated products (nothing with salacylic acid, BP etc in) and a good moisturiser

MemberMember
(@highlight)

Posted : 10/07/2012 10:50 pm

Yeah I felt/saw my face burning. Cool water usually soothed it, but moisturizers only made it feel/look worse. Do whatever you can to stay out of the sun and bright lighting, as that's one of the reasons why the redness worsens. Eucerin Redness Relief masks the appearance of flushing very well, though it'll make you so pale that you'll just look sick. But in the colder months, it's more socially acceptable to look dead than sunburnt.

MemberMember
(@xjones)

Posted : 10/08/2012 5:09 pm

What week are you in? First week my face burned like hell (it was during the IB), then it went normal.

MemberMember
(@paperbag)

Posted : 10/08/2012 5:21 pm

I was on 10mg for one month, then 20mg for one month, now on 40mg for 2 weeks. I started at a real low dose, because I was scared of side effects I had read and heard about.

I am 145 pounds.

Technically I have been on Accutane for 10 weeks, but if you compare me to someone who is on 40mg a day, it would only be equivalent to 5 weeks at 40mg/day. So in one sense you could say I'm still just starting ....I guess?

I wonder if the burning is because I am still using Neutrogena Acne face wash, the green colored face wash that is "redness soothing", but has 2% Salicylic Acid in it. I still find that other face washes don't do enough to stop break outs. For example, I have used Cetaphil for years before I developed acne again and needed Accutane, but if I use Cetaphil now, I break out again. Also, I have tried CeraVe foaming face wash, and I get break outs.

It seems like I still need to use an acne face wash...

I'm pretty lost as to what to use for a face wash, and don't know if that is part of the problem. I don't think it is, but someone mentioned not to use any medicated face washes.

Some days I'll just use water, like today.

Also not quite sure what to use for a moisturizer. Right now, I use Cetaphil DermaControl Oil Control Moisturizer. Someone told me I should use Jojoba Oil. I have some but stiff too afraid to try an oil...

A lot of times I just have to go into the bathroom and splash cold water on my face, because it's burning.

MemberMember
(@fairbeauty)

Posted : 10/09/2012 8:06 am

It's a good possibility the products you are using are contributing to the burning. My face will feel warm but not burn when I'm red from the accutane. You shouldn't use a medicated face wash or an oil control lotion.. Your face needs to be babied and moisturized really well with gentle products. Try cetaphil or CeraVe cleansers and moisturizing lotion or cream. Try these for a week and ill bet the burning improves a bit. Your face is going to break out while on accutane but irritating it with harsh products seems to be counter productive at this point... Let the drug do its job! Good luck :)

MemberMember
(@tettyf)

Posted : 10/09/2012 8:38 am

I agree with FairBeauty completely, the gentler you are with your skin the better. I had burning for the first two weeks of my course and for me the best thing to do was (once I knew I wouldnt be leaving the house again for the day) slather my face in Vaseline. I found the more I kept my skin moisturised the calmer it would be and any breakouts were quicker to come to the surface and heal. I kept my routine simple using only water to wash with in the mornings followed by cetaphil moisturiser and in the evening cetaphil soap if I'd been wearing makeup again followed by cetaphil and Vaseline when I needed it which was pretty often in the early days but this did calm down after a while. The best bit of advise I can give is be patient. Don't panic if you get a breakout, try and ignore it and let the accutane do it's job. I'm five weeks post accutane (I was on it for 5 months) and I LOVE my skin. The burning, dry skin, dry lips, dry hair blah blah blah are all worth it in the end. I feel like I've got my life back again! Good luck xx

MemberMember
(@xjones)

Posted : 10/10/2012 4:30 pm

Try not using the Neutrogena face wash for a few weeks and see if it gets better.

MemberMember
(@start)

Posted : 10/11/2012 6:27 pm

Your face burning is not normal. You need to find yourself a good moisturizer with no oil or alcohol and you'll feel great and no outbreaks. If your face feels like crap it's because you don't have a proper moisturizer.