Notifications
Clear all

If Nothing Else Works For Me, I Might Risk It And Go On Antibiotics Again, But This Time With Probiotics. Is It Worth The Risk?

MemberMember
(@emp2thy)

Posted : 10/05/2012 2:35 am

I'm a 26 y/o male.

A few years ago, when I was 18-19, I went on antibiotics (minocycline) for my acne, and it did clear my skin. However, when I was done with it, about 6-9 months later, my acne came back, and it came back in full force, the worse it has ever been for me, and left me with a lot of nasty scars. It was the worse time of my life until i finally decided to go on Accutane. Accutane really helped, and literally cleared 90% of my acne within a month.

Unfortunately, i couldnt complete my course of accutane, i only went on it for about 4 months and had to stop because I had severe side effects. I had bloody stools, really bad stomach ache, nausea, and i think i had a stomach ulcer, etc. But I remained clear for a year after taking accutane. When I started to break out again, my acne wasn't as bad as it was after i took minocycline, but its still bad enough for me that it messes with my self-esteem and confidence.

Anyways, I have tried many OTC products, diet, supplements, medical treatments (retin-a, clindamyacin, etc), and such, and im just getting tired of trying to find the solution to my acne. I've spent soo much money :[

I recently tried the Candex + Charcoal Solution, and I don't think that has worked out for me. During the 2+ weeks of using it, there was a time where I thought it was working, but then i recently got a break out, so I don't think my acne is based of a yeast overgrowth/candida.

The solution im trying to do to solve my acne right now is that im thinking it is hormonal. So I'll be trying out Saw Palmetto supplements, spearmint tea, stinging nettle root, and maybe spiro 50mg etc to see if that will help. I'm not combining any of them, just trying them one by one. I am very oily, so hopefully blocking DHT and reducing oil will help me out.

I would love to go back on accutane, but i cant because of what it did to my body.

So anyway, if my recent experiment fails on me, i might just bite the bullet and go back on antibiotics, but this time i'll be taking them with probiotics. I feel like this could be the solution because it will basically reset the balance of good/bad bacteria in my body by destroying everything, but if i supplement on probiotics while and after i take antibiotics, will it prevent a horrible breakout in the future? Or is the risk not worth it?

err, yeah, if not, what else can i do???

MemberMember
(@jim-bean)

Posted : 10/05/2012 4:07 am

Taking probiotics and antibiotics together will not work. The antibiotics kills all the bacteria - the good and the bad.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/05/2012 7:37 am

you should always take a probiotic when you take an antibiotic so it helps to restore some of the good bacteria in your gut