Notifications
Clear all

Cyst/boil/zit That Became Firm (Updated With Pics)

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 10/03/2012 5:40 pm

I am looking for some help or input with my situation. If any of you have experienced this PLEASE let me know how it turned out for you and if you can offer any solutions.

I have had cysts before (a year an a half ago I had them) and succssfully treated my acne with diet and retin A topically.

I pretty much had fairly clear skin until 2 months ago when I developed a horrible cyst on my chin (have not stuck to a clean diet and have been HORRBILY stressed). I have had 3 cortisone injections to treat it.

On my 3rd cortisone shot for the first time it was not really liquid or pus inside anymore. The dr said it's more "gel like' and that he didn't think its not a normal infection anymore. Consequently, all the normal antibacterial, antibiotic, antiinflammatory treatments won't be very effective. He said if it's becoming firmer that means its probably developing into scar tissue.

He said he wouldn't do another injection for at least a month.

And when he put the needle in it hurt for the 1st time. The 2 times prior to this injection it was just injected into liquid/pus and it really didn't hurt at all so I know there's some truth to what he said about it become harder and changing.

Right now I can still feel the "sac" or "capsule" of liquid or whatever it is under my skin.

I've been trying anti inflammatory stuff like; icing, aspirin, lavendar oil.

I've also soaked it with hydrogen peroxide.

I think all these remedies are awesome; I just think this cyst was too far gone and too deep down to effectively be treated that way perhaps?

Lastly, I tried something that I read about 2days ago on here that worked for someone; it's called PRID, it's a drawing salve/boil treatment and I'm wondering if that's what made it firmer.

Or maybe the Hyrdogen peroxide firmed it up because I know that stuff is super drying.

My question is: is there hope for treating this now? Has anyone else had this happen? How do you treat something like that? I read a post on here about Apple cider vinegar and warm compress melting the hard cyst but I don't know it they had the same type I have right now.

I don't really care if it's just going to die and stay there along with scar tissue except for the fact that I have a big dime sized raised bump there.

Of course I've tried poking in it and there's no head; just blood that comes out.

It's weird because it still kinda hurts so I don't think it's done being active and I can feel movement that kinda feels like a gel there. One derm I saw said it's an active scar, I don't know what that means.

It doesn't respond to ANY treatment which makes it seem like its dormant but if it was dormant I would think it would be solid, right? It's pretty fim but it's not hard and solid like what scar tissue feels like.

The picture below are 2 without make up and 2 with makeup. It appears to be raised but it really a visual illusion; it's not raised it's just pitted/and or pulling the skin down around the "capsule" or "sac", whatever you want to call it.

Someone please tell me there's hope for this! I've been hiding in my house for 2 months! What can I do?

post-148629-0-47208300-1352499861.jpg

post-148629-0-47834900-1352499920.jpg

post-148629-0-22683900-1352499944.jpg

post-148629-0-13885000-1352500011.jpg

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 10/05/2012 1:43 am

Sounds like the thing has gone dormant. Use drawing agents on it. Epsom salt or black salve. Or you can just get the sac cut out.

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 10/05/2012 11:01 am

Hi, AP,

Thank you so much for your reply!

Have you ever had luck in drawing out something "dormant".

I did try "PRID" which is a drawing salve and I also ordered one that I think is going to much stronger from amazon called icthammol which I saw someone report good results with. So I will take your advice just wondering if you have expericence with this at all.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 11/07/2012 9:12 pm

Anybody else have input? I'm still dealing with this thing on my face although a month later now I have cortisone atrophy (at least I think that's what it is) so I don't plan on doing any more cortisone injections.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/07/2012 11:07 pm

I've actually gotten crap from 1 or 2 people for suggesting diet, but at the risk of it happening again...

What exactly have you been eating?

I cured my acne with diet. You may be able to do the same. Diet has an very very powerful ability to decrease inflammation. All of the cysts on my body have completely disappeared.

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 11/08/2012 6:06 pm

I've actually gotten crap from 1 or 2 people for suggesting diet, but at the risk of it happening again...

What exactly have you been eating?

I cured my acne with diet. You may be able to do the same. Diet has an very very powerful ability to decrease inflammation. All of the cysts on my body have completely disappeared.

Oh no problem, I agree and anyone who makes broad sweeping claims that acne isn't affected by diet hasn't done their research!

Yes some people can eat whatever they want and not get acne, just like some of us can eat sugar and not get diabetes; we're all different. Some have candida, some have insulin resistance and most of us have hormone swings that contribute to sebum production.

Here's a great post about diet and the different types of problems that affect acne:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/310115-how-i-cured-my-acne-wo-medication-or-drugs/page__p__3208977#entry3208977

Anyways I am on a Paleo style anti-inflammatory low GI type of diet but I've had severe stress and no matter how good I eat sometime that's outside of my control and I break out; plus I cheated on my diet in august about 2 weeks before this cyst showed up and along with the stress and my hormones apparently it was too much.

So when you say you've cured acne with diet; what do you eat?

Curious if it's any different than mine.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/11/2012 6:27 am

hi DC-girl

Here's what I typically eat for breakfast :

-zucchini

-mushrooms

-garlic

I take these 3 ingredients and cook them over low heat with olive oil, salt, pepper, and some curry powder.

I'll throw in cooked bacon and have a side of scrambled eggs, along with a kale salad which includes :

- kale

- avocados

- dressing made from honey, mustard or dill (with no weird ingredients), worchestershire sauce, and greek yogurt as a base.

Here's a typical dinner for me :

- kale salad with whatever i can throw into it veggie wise

- tilapia with garlic salt pepper (simple)

Basically, I eat a lot of kale, and as many vegetables as I can to get my micronutrients. Not supplements. Kale has a lot of dietary fiber as well and, I literally eat like 2 cups a day (or almost half a bunch which is like $1.99 at the store).

Then I throw in some kind of meat product to get my macronutrients (Protein / Fat).

If you can eat sweet potatoes, go for that - but in moderation. I'll eat 1/2 of one in a meal.

I've started a diet log / thread :

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/322559-my-diet-log-began-10202012-a-transition-from-benzoyl-peroxide-to-dieting/

You can see exactly what I eat. On the 10th, I obviously had a major cheat day :|

I would advise you to try and let go of "Paleo" and find your own solution. The paleo diet was not created with acne in mind.

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 11/12/2012 3:01 pm

Yeah, I have a cyst like that. I'm having it surgically removed. My doctor said it's pointless trying to treat it topically, it's too deep.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 11/19/2012 1:20 pm

Hi, AP,

I did try "PRID" which is a drawing salve and I also ordered one that I think is going to much stronger from amazon called icthammol which I saw someone report good results with. So I will take your advice just wondering if you have expericence with this at all.

Thanks!

Sorry for the delayed response! Hopefully you've gotten this cleared up by now! I've had so many cysts come and go on my face. Ive never gotten any cortisone shots for my cysts before. I've only used topicals like bp, tea tree oil, epsom salt and de la Cruz sulfur ointment. The things that helped me the most were the Epsom salt, de la Cruz sulfur ointment, glycerin and fruit fresh( ascorbic acid) home made serum and derma rolling with an .5mm derma roller.

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 11/19/2012 5:59 pm

Hi, AP,

Thanks!

Sorry for the delayed response! Hopefully you've gotten this cleared up by now! I've had so many cysts come and go on my face. Ive never gotten any cortisone shots for my cysts before. I've only used topicals like bp, tea tree oil, epsom salt and de la Cruz sulfur ointment. The things that helped me the most were the Epsom salt, de la Cruz sulfur ointment, glycerin and fruit fresh( ascorbic acid) home made serum and derma rolling with an .5mm derma roller.

Ok, thanks,

How long did it take for the cyst to go away with these treatments?

DId you do all of those treatments on the same cysts? multiple tactics?

Because no, I have not got rid of it!

I have put epsom salt and didn't have anything happen but I don't know how long something like that would normally take or how many times to apply it. Did you apply the epsom with a heat compress or just let it dry on your cyst?

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 11/19/2012 6:15 pm

Hi, AP,

Thanks!

Ok, thanks,

I have put epsom salt and didn't have anything happen but I don't know how long something like that would normally take or how many times to apply it. Did you apply the epsom with a heat compress or just let it dry on your cyst?

I did hot Epsom salt compresses for 20 mins once to twice a day. It's too time consuming so I don't do the compresses anymore. Seriously the only thing that totally gets rid of mine is; taking a hot shower before using my .5mm derma roller over my entire face, putting on my glycerin fruit fresh serum and let tht set on my skin for 20 mins or as long as I can stand it.Wash my face with warm water then go about my normal skin care regimen.

Small derma rollers like the one I use allow for better topical absorption :) I'm so glad I bought a derma roller. My skin was looking pretty bad before I took the plunge and started needling.

After needling, my cysts take about a week to go down. I roll once a week. That's way faster than any topical cream, ointment, mask or Epsom salt compress could do.

Epsom salt or any other drawing agents do work! Sometimes they don't though. Cystic acne can be so unpredictable. One thing will work great one month and not work the next month. The derma roller has never failed me though :)

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 11/19/2012 11:58 pm

Hi, AP,

Thanks!

Ok, thanks,

I did hot Epsom salt compresses for 20 mins once to twice a day. It's too time consuming so I don't do the compresses anymore. Seriously the only thing that totally gets rid of mine is; taking a hot shower before using my .5mm derma roller over my entire face, putting on my glycerin fruit fresh serum and let tht set on my skin for 20 mins or as long as I can stand it.Wash my face with warm water then go about my normal skin care regimen.

Small derma rollers like the one I use allow for better topical absorption smile.png I'm so glad I bought a derma roller. My skin was looking pretty bad before I took the plunge and started needling.

After needling, my cysts take about a week to go down. I roll once a week. That's way faster than any topical cream, ointment, mask or Epsom salt compress could do.

Epsom salt or any other drawing agents do work! Sometimes they don't though. Cystic acne can be so unpredictable. One thing will work great one month and not work the next month. The derma roller has never failed me though smile.png

Wow, great info, thank you

So, what's in your fresh fruit serum besides glycerin?

I take it you make it yourself?

Also, do you bleed when you dermaroll? Or do you just do it enough to get the skin pink?

Do you do it directly over cysts then too?

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 11/20/2012 1:54 am

Hi, AP,

Thanks!

Ok, thanks,

Small derma rollers like the one I use allow for better topical absorption smile.png I'm so glad I bought a derma roller. My skin was looking pretty bad before I took the plunge and started needling.

Epsom salt or any other drawing agents do work! Sometimes they don't though. Cystic acne can be so unpredictable. One thing will work great one month and not work the next month. The derma roller has never failed me though smile.png

Wow, great info, thank you

So, what's in your fresh fruit serum besides glycerin?

I take it you make it yourself?

Also, do you bleed when you dermaroll? Or do you just do it enough to get the skin pink?

Do you do it directly over cysts then too?

Yup I make the serum myself. I make a fresh batch everytime I use it. Im going to put a link to the YouTube video that shows you how to make it. It's super easy to make. You can buy glycerin at cvs, Walgreens and Walmart. The fruit fresh might be a little more tricky to find. Fruit fresh is Pectin( ascorbic acid) its pretty much just vitamin c powder to help preserve fruits and vegitables for canning.

I roll my whole face with the .5mm derma roller. I do roll over pimples but not if they have a visible white head. Rolling over black heads is okay. I just roll over my cysts about six times with medium pressure then apply the fruit fresh serum and let it sit for about 20 mins. I don't even get the large cysts at all anymore. I roll until the area I'm rolling gets red. I do the star pattern rolling technique. I don't bleed unless I accidentally roll to hard around my mouth.

MemberMember
(@enjoy-2)

Posted : 11/20/2012 10:55 pm

my experience with spots that are 'empty' yet still leave a hardened lump like that seems to be that they can take time to go back down/away, obviously do not pick at it... don't be tempted to try squeezing like I always was to see if there's only still a lump there because there's something inside of it.

I've had some that have stayed for quite a while unfortunately especially on my back, as well as one on my jawline that I seem to remember being very persistent, all I can say is time will heal it but you really can't touch it and keep prodding at it or it might not budge

i wouldn't put much on it besides the occasional spot treatment product just to keep it dry and clean and whatnot...i see it like if the spot thinks it's still irritated it won't want to get rid of that excess tissue or inflammation that it created to deal with the infection/pimple, so best to leave it alone for the most part

MemberMember
(@sems)

Posted : 07/04/2013 9:09 pm

DC girl-

I have one exactly like that! except its worse because its on my cheek! Please tell me if you figured out how to get rid of it?! mine started as 3 separate pimples and formed into one big cyst and now the cyst remains under my skin. its been 1.5 months i have tried countless topicals and nothing works. help!!!!!

MemberMember
(@lah2112)

Posted : 06/23/2014 6:31 pm

I have looked the Internet up and down and can't believe I finally found Someone that has exactly what I'm going through. Any luck getting it to go away?! I'm desperate...I've had this cyst boil mess for 3 months on my cheek.

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 06/24/2014 12:20 pm

I have looked the Internet up and down and can't believe I finally found Someone that has exactly what I'm going through. Any luck getting it to go away?! I'm desperate...I've had this cyst boil mess for 3 months on my cheek.

I turned into scar tissue so I had it excised.

MemberMember
(@krissypants30)

Posted : 01/08/2015 9:01 pm

I almost have the same issuepost-438795-0-91214900-1420768820_thumb.

This is post cortisone shot for the second time and with makeup. I know its going to come back. I've had this shit on my face for 2 months. How is your cyst now or scar tissue that it has been excised?

MemberMember
(@lah2112)

Posted : 01/08/2015 9:19 pm

Well it had 2 cortisone shots and once tried to suck out infection with syringe w/derm both were unsuccessful. I kept squeezing out hard sticky sebum from the area about once a week until September it finally emptied.... It is now to very unattractive pock marks on my inner cheek near nose :( And gunk still comes out of the area. I have since had about 5-6 different spots that did the same thing. It's been a devastating year with my skin I'm 27 and I swear it has aged me twice my age! I refused to go on accutane and I ran the system of antibiotics which were no longer effective.

I almost have the same issueattachicon.gifimage.jpg

This is post cortisone shot for the second time and with makeup. I know its going to come back. I've had this shit on my face for 2 months. How is your cyst now or scar tissue that it has been excised?

MemberMember
(@gkitten25)

Posted : 01/09/2015 5:42 am

Have you tired massaging the scar tissue? I had the same problem with a cyst on my cheek that was there for months and eventually turned hard under my skin. it is almost two years later and I am pleased to say that I with a good skin care routine, I use differin topically and a salicylic acid serum and going back on birth control, my skin has been clear for a good year and that scar tissue gradually broke down I honestly can't feel or see it anymore. I have a couple of small indents where the cyst was but no longer feel that lump under my skin. It took time, a long time, I could feel it getting smaller over several months but the main part of it I could still feel when I washed my face and could see at centre angles. I read up about massaging scar tissue to break it down, it doesn't need to be too aggressive and I just did it while applying my differin, sort of pushing the lump in and massaging it and was surprised that after 5 minutes of massage it seemed to almost disappear, however it would gradually come back the next morning but I kept up with the massage and sort of forgot about it and I would say for the past maybe 6 months I can honestly say that it has gone. I can only think that I have manage to break down the scar tissue and with continued use of differin and massage I have broken it down. I don't know if this will work for everyone but just sharing my experience. Google massage and cysts/scars and see what you think.