Notifications
Clear all

On My Last Straw

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 10/02/2012 10:42 pm

Ok. First off, I've been on the acne.org regimen for 6 months now. Blah blah, same old stuff I say in practically every one of my posts. I haven't been on here in a few weeks just because I didn't really see the need. Anyway, I've struggled with dry, flaky, cracking, peeling skin for the last 6 months that I've been on this regimen. I CANNOT TAKE THIS ANYMORE. I seriously can't. First what I tried is switching moisturizers. I switched to CeraVe moisturizing lotion which I like... It's ok it doesn't take care of flaking the best but it smooths my skin and makes it feel good so I will keep using that... Dry skin problem isn't completely solved. (Before anyone advises me to use jojoba oil, I already do, I use 6 drops and mix it in with my moisturizer) So I decide to decrease the amount of BP i'm using to 1/2 of a pump. Guess what? Flaking is going down... Hip hip hooray... NOPE. Breakouts. I got 1 or 2 on my forehead, a lot on my chin (which hasn't seemed to clear since) and one on my cheek. Seriously? WTF am I doing wrong? I'm sick of this. This regimen takes too much damn time out of my day to just stop working. You people with clear skin are seriously more lucky than you may think. You don't have to put up with this crap do you? Anyway, I know being frustrated isn't going to do anything so I thought I'd ask a few questions.

1. DOES BP EVER GO BAD? I've used this thing of BP for about 2-4 months now and it seems to lose its effectivity as time goes by... Is this true?

2. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO GET RID OF DRY SKIN? I would really appreciate any tips y'all have to offer... EXCEPT for AHA, I refuse to use AHA, I don't want to worry about extra sun damage and I don't want more chemicals on my face.

Also, I suffered/suffer from mild acne, I currently am 98.9% clear, If you guys have clear skin could you tell me how you managed to do so, what worked for you, and any easy skincare routines you have? 'cause mine's pretty complicated and I hate that it is that way... Seems like to many steps, but the dkr is the only thing that's worked so I have a love-hate relationship with it at the moment. thanks bai

MemberMember
(@reyrey)

Posted : 10/02/2012 10:57 pm

I might get virtually punched for this, but aha+ is a god sent, I can see why you would take caution of using it, but honestly it's one of my holy grails, I have super dry skin to begin with and was aware I was going to get pretty dry on the regimen, I don't necessarily have acne, but I got off BC after a month or so(stupid of me to even get on it) and broke out terribly! So, I got on the regimen, and I didn't get dry until a month in, after a month I immediately started using AHA+, flakiness/dryness/lizard skin, completely gone! And my skin feels oh so soft, plump and my makeup goes on smooth, before I started using AHA, I could feel my face super stiff when I had makeup, like I could literally feel the dryness, so glad I found AHA, I know you don't want to use it but..honestly, I would re-concisder, it might be the ONLY thing that could help you if you are going to use dans regimen, and stay clear, in my opinion, it's worth it, yes it does make your skin more sensitive to the sun, but that's why you wear SPF, you should be wearing spf anyway though,I really think you should just give it a try, also, also if you haven't already, reduce your application to once a day, at night, another tip, SUPPLEMENTS, I started taking zinc and I really think it's making a difference, I didn't break out for almost 2 weeks when I was taking it, still am, got a recent breakout ;[ but my face is looking way better than it has in months so I'm not letting that one pimple phase me, but in all seriousness, try aha+, like i said, it might be the only solution.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/02/2012 11:19 pm

Maybe your skin would better tolerate BP in another form? I don't have the DKR BP ingredients on hand, but the carrier ingredients could be contributing to the dryness along with the BP. If you must use a lot of BP to keep breakouts at bay, you may do better with BP in a more moisturizing base or one of the new BP foams they have now.

As for your question of what worked for me, it's all in my signature.

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 10/03/2012 12:51 am

Have you considered trying a different cleanser? I found Dan's cleanser to be too drying for me, and I don't even have dry skin. So maybe you'd have better luck with a different cleanser; I know a lot of people here like the CeraVe cleanser.

What is your skin care routine? You said it is complicated, so I'm just curious about your routine and perhaps we can help you problem-solve from there.

(And for what it's worth, I second the AHA+ recommendation. And if you use it at night, there's not much of an issue with sun sensitivity during the day, especially if you use sun screen.)

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 10/03/2012 8:32 am

If you haven't done so already, try Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. It almost always takes care of the dryness.

It sounds like you're very frustrated at this point. If you've been on The Regimen for 6 months and you just aren't happy with it then perhaps you should see a dermatologist for other treatment options.

Here's the expiration info on Dan's bp. http://www.danielkern.com/help_answer.asp?ID=17#153

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 10/03/2012 10:28 am

I might get virtually punched for this, but aha+ is a god sent, I can see why you would take caution of using it, but honestly it's one of my holy grails, I have super dry skin to begin with and was aware I was going to get pretty dry on the regimen, I don't necessarily have acne, but I got off BC after a month or so(stupid of me to even get on it) and broke out terribly! So, I got on the regimen, and I didn't get dry until a month in, after a month I immediately started using AHA+, flakiness/dryness/lizard skin, completely gone! And my skin feels oh so soft, plump and my makeup goes on smooth, before I started using AHA, I could feel my face super stiff when I had makeup, like I could literally feel the dryness, so glad I found AHA, I know you don't want to use it but..honestly, I would re-concisder, it might be the ONLY thing that could help you if you are going to use dans regimen, and stay clear, in my opinion, it's worth it, yes it does make your skin more sensitive to the sun, but that's why you wear SPF, you should be wearing spf anyway though,I really think you should just give it a try, also, also if you haven't already, reduce your application to once a day, at night, another tip, SUPPLEMENTS, I started taking zinc and I really think it's making a difference, I didn't break out for almost 2 weeks when I was taking it, still am, got a recent breakout ;[ but my face is looking way better than it has in months so I'm not letting that one pimple phase me, but in all seriousness, try aha+, like i said, it might be the only solution.

Thanks for the heads up about AHA, I just don't have the whole SPF thing figured out and I've heard that it causes eczema for some people, and it's not good if you have sensitive skin. My skin is pretty sensitive. But I'm glad that it worked out for you! I'll consider the possibility

If you haven't done so already, try Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. It almost always takes care of the dryness.

It sounds like you're very frustrated at this point. If you've been on The Regimen for 6 months and you just aren't happy with it then perhaps you should see a dermatologist for other treatment options.

Here's the expiration info on Dan's bp. http://www.danielker...r.asp?ID=17#153

I'm generally happy with the way the regimen has cleared up my acne, but recently I started breaking out a little and I don't know why. It's very frustrating with dry skin and all. Thanks for the suggestion

Have you considered trying a different cleanser? I found Dan's cleanser to be too drying for me, and I don't even have dry skin. So maybe you'd have better luck with a different cleanser; I know a lot of people here like the CeraVe cleanser.

What is your skin care routine? You said it is complicated, so I'm just curious about your routine and perhaps we can help you problem-solve from there.

(And for what it's worth, I second the AHA+ recommendation. And if you use it at night, there's not much of an issue with sun sensitivity during the day, especially if you use sun screen.)

Yeah, I find that the cleanser is what makes my skin most dry. I am definitely considering using another one.

MemberMember
(@tingmothy)

Posted : 10/03/2012 12:41 pm

I kinda second this lol. I just started taking zinc and fish oil 5 days ago, and I already see a difference. my skin is less oily. I did have/ am having some initial breakouts but my skin tone looks healthier.

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 10/03/2012 2:56 pm

Thanks for the heads up about AHA, I just don't have the whole SPF thing figured out and I've heard that it causes eczema for some people, and it's not good if you have sensitive skin. My skin is pretty sensitive. But I'm glad that it worked out for you! I'll consider the possibility

What "SPF thing" are you referring to? I have sensitive skin and I have no problems with AHA. Also, AHA does not cause eczema; it can exacerbate it (make it worse) if you already have eczema.

Not trying to convince you to use AHA - just trying to provide you with the correct information. rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/03/2012 3:54 pm

do i have to wait the full month before using AHA?

its day 10 for my and i still havent figured out if its BP, moisturizer or my skin thats peeling but if i slightly rub my face or graze my cheek or even just lightly scratch an itch on my face a ton of stuff peels off.

i think its only started happening when i used the jojoba oil (on day 4) but im not sure. im going to try not using it tonight and see.

i used cetaphil cleanser, oxy 2.5%bp (until dans arrives) and cetaphil spf 15 lotion with jojoba oil added.

does this happen to anyone else?

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 10/03/2012 4:27 pm

its day 10 for my and i still havent figured out if its BP, moisturizer or my skin thats peeling but if i slightly rub my face or graze my cheek or even just lightly scratch an itch on my face a ton of stuff peels off.

i think its only started happening when i used the jojoba oil (on day 4) but im not sure. im going to try not using it tonight and see.

i used cetaphil cleanser, oxy 2.5%bp (until dans arrives) and cetaphil spf 15 lotion with jojoba oil added.

Try waiting a little longer between applying BP and moisturizer, and using a little less moisturizer (if you can get away with it). It's recommended that you wait a month to start using AHA as many people experience considerable irritation when just starting the regimen. It's ultimately up to you though. You know your skin much better than we do; if your skin is red and irritated, then I'd suggest waiting.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/03/2012 4:32 pm

By "SPF thing" I think she meant that AHA makes you more photosensitive, adding that on top of BP would mean re-working your sun protection regimen

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/03/2012 5:18 pm

Try waiting a little longer between applying BP and moisturizer, and using a little less moisturizer (if you can get away with it). It's recommended that you wait a month to start using AHA as many people experience considerable irritation when just starting the regimen. It's ultimately up to you though. You know your skin much better than we do; if your skin is red and irritated, then I'd suggest waiting.

thanks! i had been trying that- i wait 15 minutes in between each step. i cant get away with it but im going to remove the jojoba oil tonight and see if thats the cause. we'll see. i know the first month is going to be tricky... my chin (where my acne is) is a little itchy too.

MemberMember
(@reyrey)

Posted : 10/03/2012 5:25 pm

OP could possibly just use the AHA+ at night, then in the morning to the usual routine, cleanser, bp, and then add some spf with her moisturizer, problem solved. The BP already can make you photosensitive, op should be using spf either way.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/03/2012 5:49 pm

i think ill wait the month for sure for AHA. another two weeks wont be too bad.

its just tough (i know you've all heard this a zillion times before im sure) but my skin is kinda red, itchy, flaky, im still getting some large bumps and trying to spot conceal them is a flaky nightmare lol i hope that in the next couple of weeks this subsides.

the only thing that i see with the jojoba is that it sits on top of my skin. i can see it there. it never sort of seeps in. maybe im using too much? i just want to do one test tonight by removing it just for the night regiment treatment and see what my skin feels/looks like after (i think i am maybe using too much jojoba- i dont have dans, i have some of my own so hard to judge how many "drops" are equal)

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 10/03/2012 5:58 pm

OP could possibly just use the AHA+ at night, then in the morning to the usual routine, cleanser, bp, and then add some spf with her moisturizer, problem solved. The BP already can make you photosensitive, op should be using spf either way.

Yep, I completely agree, and this has been my point all along. If you're using AHA at night and wearing your normal SPF during the day, there shouldn't be any issues with additional sun sensitivity from AHA.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 10/04/2012 5:32 pm

I would definitely wait before using AHA, I personally do not use it but that's just what I've heard and what my advise is :)

What "SPF thing" are you referring to? I have sensitive skin and I have no problems with AHA. Also, AHA does not cause eczema; it can exacerbate it (make it worse) if you already have eczema.

Not trying to convince you to use AHA - just trying to provide you with the correct information. rolleyes.gif

"the spf thing," sorry for not being more specific, I was referring to was the fact that I haven't found an SPF that I am completely comfortable with using, and I am afraid of the sunburn/skin cancer risk factor that I would be increasing with the use of AHA.

By "SPF thing" I think she meant that AHA makes you more photosensitive, adding that on top of BP would mean re-working your sun protection regimen

That is what I was referring to :)

MemberMember
(@reyrey)

Posted : 10/04/2012 5:47 pm

We're not by any means trying to say that AHA+ is your ONLY option, but if you're using SPF, the risk of burning is close to nothing. I to had trouble choosing an spf that I could incorporate into the regimen, but luckly after much researching I found neutregena ultra sheer liquid daily sunblock, has an spf of 70, protects against uva/uvb as well, since this is sheer as the title suggest it does not cause any problems when I mix it in with my moisturizer, it's definitely not creamy, thick and greasy, it's literally so sheer and mixes in so well, it's my HG of sunblock. I simply cleanse in the morning, bp, mix in spf with moisturizer and good to go! I really hope you find out what works best for you, but I would re-consider the anti-AHA+ belief.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 10/08/2012 10:42 am

UPDATE

This is so annoying. After 6 months on the regimen y am I breaking out now?? What did I do wrong? I've been trying to do everything right, and yet nothing seems to change. Yesterday I woke up and my skin was perfectly clear, and smooth. I was very happy actually. Today I wake up and have 3 red spots underneath my skin, and 2 tiny whiteheads on my forehead. WTF? If I use too much BP guess what? My skin gets flaky. If I don't use enough, I break out. Guys, I'm on my wits end. I'm considering going to a dermatologist for help. I thought this regimen was working... I really did. I believed in it, I put faith in it, I took time out of my day to do it and this is what I get? That's not fair. This has happened before when I used BP, right about this same time of year. I am going to look for help. I guess I learned that I can never trust the internet.

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 10/08/2012 11:32 am

I hope you find a treatment that works better for you!

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 10/09/2012 10:30 pm

I hope you find a treatment that works better for you!

Thank you. I have come to the realization that I can't use benzoyl peroxide for the rest of my life, but I'm not going to give up on this regimen. I will make my own regimen that works for me... Using Dans' Bp, and I will overcome these problems!

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 10/10/2012 12:06 am

I know you said you don't want more chemicals to put on your face¦but I have to say that they AHA really help the flakiness and the dryness just completely disappear :)

You can cyber slap me if you must though lol!eusa_think.gif

I think Dan also said something about BP not being as effective somewhere on this site after about 6 months or so¦.but I cant be too sure. Sorry I am not too helpful ;/

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 10/10/2012 8:42 am

^ He was referring to an open tube or bottle of bp. It should be used within 6 months. But benzoyl peroxide in general works very well year after year to help keep acne under control.

To the OP, I know it's been a frustrating time for you and if you've been doing The Regimen for this long and you are truly not happy with your results, then I agree it may be time to move on and consider seeing a dermatologist. I would say that after 3-4 months if a person isn't seeing encouraging signs and they've been following it to the letter, that it's time to do something else. The Regimen works well for a lot of people, but just like a lot of things it isn't a 100% sure thing for every single person.

Good luck to you.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 10/10/2012 9:27 pm

^ He was referring to an open tube or bottle of bp. It should be used within 6 months. But benzoyl peroxide in general works very well year after year to help keep acne under control.

To the OP, I know it's been a frustrating time for you and if you've been doing The Regimen for this long and you are truly not happy with your results, then I agree it may be time to move on and consider seeing a dermatologist. I would say that after 3-4 months if a person isn't seeing encouraging signs and they've been following it to the letter, that it's time to do something else. The Regimen works well for a lot of people, but just like a lot of things it isn't a 100% sure thing for every single person.

Good luck to you.

Thank you, it's not that I am unhappy with my results from the regimen, if I weren't happy I would have quit a long time ago. It's basically cleared my skin up, what I'm struggling with now is how much BP to use. If I use 1/2 of a pump I'll break out 2 days later, If I use 1 pump I'm more flaky, if I use 1/2 pumps in the morning and 1 pump at night I STILL break out. I'm tired of this dryness, I even switched to a new moisturizer but I figured that the moisturizer wasn't the problem. I've had this particular BP bottle somewhere between 2-5 months I can't remember exactly when I got it. I'm not quitting BP though

I know you said you don't want more chemicals to put on your face¦but I have to say that they AHA really help the flakiness and the dryness just completely disappear smile.png

You can cyber slap me if you must though lol!eusa_think.gif

I think Dan also said something about BP not being as effective somewhere on this site after about 6 months or so¦.but I cant be too sure. Sorry I am not too helpful ;/

*cyber slap* just kidding. I know I know AHA is supposed to be really good I just don't have time to add another product into my regimen. Maybe I could use it every other night or something I don't know I will have to do more research

MemberMember
(@norris)

Posted : 10/12/2012 2:37 pm

UPDATE

This is so annoying. After 6 months on the regimen y am I breaking out now?? What did I do wrong? I've been trying to do everything right, and yet nothing seems to change. Yesterday I woke up and my skin was perfectly clear, and smooth. I was very happy actually. Today I wake up and have 3 red spots underneath my skin, and 2 tiny whiteheads on my forehead. WTF? If I use too much BP guess what? My skin gets flaky. If I don't use enough, I break out. Guys, I'm on my wits end. I'm considering going to a dermatologist for help. I thought this regimen was working... I really did. I believed in it, I put faith in it, I took time out of my day to do it and this is what I get? That's not fair. This has happened before when I used BP, right about this same time of year. I am going to look for help. I guess I learned that I can never trust the internet.

have you considered that this may be hormonal acne?

MemberMember
(@reyrey)

Posted : 10/12/2012 5:21 pm

UPDATE

have you considered that this may be hormonal acne?

Most acne IS hormonal acne, OP stated that when she was using BP as advised and recommended she was not breaking out and had clear skin, the only reason she decreased it was because her skin was too dry.