Notifications
Clear all

Candida - Which Diet Is Best?

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 09/25/2012 9:35 pm

Ok guys, I'm really confused and overwhelmed. I've been reading on lots of sites (the Candida Diet, the Gut Diet and Healing Naturally by Bee) and so much of the information is conflicting that I don't know which way is up anymore. I started on 2 tablespoons of Coconut Oil today, felt pretty nauseated, dizzy and tired about an hour after taking it, for several hours (which is fine, particularly because I'm unemployed). And I've been eating a no-carb, no-sugar diet for about a week now. (I can't really do Paleo because I don't eat meat, other than seafood occasionally.) Beyond that though, I'm totally lost. Should I eat yogurt or not? Probiotics or no? Healing Naturally by Bee also says all kinds of additional supplements/vitamins are completely necessary (B-complex, Vitamins C, A & D, Magnesium and Calcium Citrate, etc.) And what about a digestive enzyme?

Help. :(

MemberMember
(@tuffluck)

Posted : 09/25/2012 10:19 pm

You may find the thread under my sig useful.

MemberMember
(@bobbby)

Posted : 09/26/2012 12:09 pm

I would suggest you look into a high carb/ low fat approach to killing your candida. I was on the traditional no sugar/ no carb/ anti fungal candida diet for 3 months and i made very little progress while on the diet. I was extremely frustrated and ready to give up when I found out about the high carb/ low fat approach and decided to give it a shot. I bought the 80/10/10 diet book by Dr. Graham and followed his guidelines. Basically you want to get 80pct of your calories from carbs, 10pct from protein, and 10pct from fat. To achieve this you basically eat nothing but raw fruit and veggies.

There is a section of the book about candida and how this diet works to kill it. The reason traditional candida diet isn't effective because when you have a diet high in fat, this fat clogs your bloodstream and prevents nutrients and sugars from getting to your cells quickly and efficiently. This keeps your blood sugar high and allows the candida to feed off your blood sugar. By switching to a low fat approach, these sugars and nutrients are able to get to your cells quickly and efficiently leaving nothing for the candida to feed on.

I have been following this diet for almost 2 months now and, unlike the traditional candida diet, i know it is working. I have been getting die off symptoms nearly everyday for the time i have been on the diet and can see the dead candida in nearly all my bowel movements.

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 09/26/2012 2:37 pm

I would suggest you look into a high carb/ low fat approach to killing your candida. I was on the traditional no sugar/ no carb/ anti fungal candida diet for 3 months and i made very little progress while on the diet. I was extremely frustrated and ready to give up when I found out about the high carb/ low fat approach and decided to give it a shot. I bought the 80/10/10 diet book by Dr. Graham and followed his guidelines. Basically you want to get 80pct of your calories from carbs, 10pct from protein, and 10pct from fat. To achieve this you basically eat nothing but raw fruit and veggies.

There is a section of the book about candida and how this diet works to kill it. The reason traditional candida diet isn't effective because when you have a diet high in fat, this fat clogs your bloodstream and prevents nutrients and sugars from getting to your cells quickly and efficiently. This keeps your blood sugar high and allows the candida to feed off your blood sugar. By switching to a low fat approach, these sugars and nutrients are able to get to your cells quickly and efficiently leaving nothing for the candida to feed on.

I have been following this diet for almost 2 months now and, unlike the traditional candida diet, i know it is working. I have been getting die off symptoms nearly everyday for the time i have been on the diet and can see the dead candida in nearly all my bowel movements.

Interesting. I've never heard of a high carb diet for Candida. Though my diet is mostly veggies, raw or lightly steamed. I don't eat meat and have stopped eating dairy so the only fats I'm really getting are eggs and avocados. Also gross question, but how do you know if there's Candida in your bowel movements?

You may find the thread under my sig useful.

Thanks. Yours is actually one of the posts that gave me even more questions. :) I'm considering trying the Candex but worried it's something that will only work while I'm on it and I can't afford to take it indefinitely.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 09/26/2012 2:50 pm

Ok guys, I'm really confused and overwhelmed. I've been reading on lots of sites (the Candida Diet, the Gut Diet and Healing Naturally by Bee) and so much of the information is conflicting that I don't know which way is up anymore. I started on 2 tablespoons of Coconut Oil today, felt pretty nauseated, dizzy and tired about an hour after taking it, for several hours (which is fine, particularly because I'm unemployed). And I've been eating a no-carb, no-sugar diet for about a week now. (I can't really do Paleo because I don't eat meat, other than seafood occasionally.) Beyond that though, I'm totally lost. Should I eat yogurt or not? Probiotics or no? Healing Naturally by Bee also says all kinds of additional supplements/vitamins are completely necessary (B-complex, Vitamins C, A & D, Magnesium and Calcium Citrate, etc.) And what about a digestive enzyme?

Help. sad.png

Please let me put a stop to this.

"Diets" do not work for anything. Acne, weight loss or whatever. Everyone is different, responds differently to different foods.

You need to find what works for you by trial and error. It is very ignorant of anyone to try and sell a diet system as they assuming one glove fits all. It just doesn't

Are you insulin resistant?

Are you carb intolerant?

Do you have any sort of metabolic damage?

These are just three variables that can cause different reactions to food.

I'm sorry to sound harsh but the worse you thing u can ever do is to subscribe to a diet system. It's full of blanket statements that cannot possibly be relevant to each individual.

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 09/26/2012 3:03 pm

"Diets" do not work for anything. Acne, weight loss or whatever. Everyone is different, responds differently to different foods.

You need to find what works for you by trial and error. It is very ignorant of anyone to try and sell a diet system as they assuming one glove fits all. It just doesn't

Are you carb intolerant?

I'm sorry to sound harsh but the worse you thing u can ever do is to subscribe to a diet system. It's full of blanket statements that cannot possibly be relevant to each individual.

Thanks. I agree to an extent, though I'm mostly using the term "diet" to mean "what I eat," in the sense that every individual has a diet. But I don't trust anyone who sells a diet, and the sites I've been reading for information aren't selling it.

But I do think that acne, and my acne in particular, is a symptom of something wrong internally and diet is extremely related to internal health. You're probably right though that I just need to figure out what works for me by trial and error. I just get easily frustrated and overwhelmed since I really don't know anything about nutrition so I feel more comfortable when I have explicit directions on what to eat and what not to.

But in terms of insulin resistance and carb intolerance, how would I know?

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 09/26/2012 3:21 pm

Are you carb intolerant?

Thanks. I agree to an extent, though I'm mostly using the term "diet" to mean "what I eat," in the sense that every individual has a diet. But I don't trust anyone who sells a diet, and the sites I've been reading for information aren't selling it.

But I do think that acne, and my acne in particular, is a symptom of something wrong internally and diet is extremely related to internal health. You're probably right though that I just need to figure out what works for me by trial and error. I just get easily frustrated and overwhelmed since I really don't know anything about nutrition so I feel more comfortable when I have explicit directions on what to eat and what not to.

But in terms of insulin resistance and carb intolerance, how would I know?

Best thing i done was to get a body compositional test and a food sensitivity test.

At least there you can make an educated "trial and error" by eliminating the foods your are sensitive to rather than just randomly guessing.

I found that i am very sensitively to carbs (carb intolerant) and i cut gluten out. My acne showed great improvement over 6 weeks. It's not cured but i no longer use meds to control it. I still get a few pop up but nothing like i used to.

I'm not saying it will work for you but if you at least knew the foods that you should avoid for your body, the worst you do is improve your overall health.

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 09/26/2012 4:05 pm

Best thing i done was to get a body compositional test and a food sensitivity test.

At least there you can make an educated "trial and error" by eliminating the foods your are sensitive to rather than just randomly guessing.

I found that i am very sensitively to carbs (carb intolerant) and i cut gluten out. My acne showed great improvement over 6 weeks. It's not cured but i no longer use meds to control it. I still get a few pop up but nothing like i used to.

I'm not saying it will work for you but if you at least knew the foods that you should avoid for your body, the worst you do is improve your overall health.

Thanks, that's good to know. I'll definitely look into those tests when I have some money.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 09/26/2012 4:10 pm

There are certain diets that are designed to kill candida and bring the gut back into check. They are all mostly different versions of the same thing. The Paleo Diet, the Gut Diet, the Specific Carb Diet--all very similar. And the one thing that they all have in common is NO GRAINS. If there is one thing you can do to heal the gut and fight candida I'd say it's no grains. Unfortunately for a lot of us that isn't enough. I'm finding that I have to remove starches as well, which is why the Specific Carb diet is so good and easy to follow, it has a clear list of what is allowed and not allowed.

I'm slowly getting better, but when the gut is as damaged as mine is, it can take a lot to heal.

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 09/26/2012 5:34 pm

^This. Thanks, TakeToTheSkies!

@ mammasay: why do you think you suffer from candida overgrowth in the first place? Before jumping on any bandwagon, following all the diet hypes, I'd make sure that what I think causes my issues, is indeed causing them.

MemberMember
(@bobbby)

Posted : 09/26/2012 6:54 pm

Also gross question, but how do you know if there's Candida in your bowel movements?

I would describe it as a white cobwebby film on the outside of the stool.

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 09/26/2012 7:06 pm

There are certain diets that are designed to kill candida and bring the gut back into check. They are all mostly different versions of the same thing. The Paleo Diet, the Gut Diet, the Specific Carb Diet--all very similar. And the one thing that they all have in common is NO GRAINS. If there is one thing you can do to heal the gut and fight candida I'd say it's no grains. Unfortunately for a lot of us that isn't enough. I'm finding that I have to remove starches as well, which is why the Specific Carb diet is so good and easy to follow, it has a clear list of what is allowed and not allowed.

I'm slowly getting better, but when the gut is as damaged as mine is, it can take a lot to heal.

Thanks. I haven't had grains in at least a week and don't miss them so I will definitely keep up with that aspect. The thing I'm most unsure about is the yogurt and probiotics, since half of what I read say they're completely necessary and the other half says they're terrible for you.

@ mammasay: why do you think you suffer from candida overgrowth in the first place? Before jumping on any bandwagon, following all the diet hypes, I'd make sure that what I think causes my issues, is indeed causing them.

I think I suffer from Candida overgrowth because I've been on long-term antibiotics for years at a time, have been overprescribed antibiotics in general, and I took several self-tests and scored insanely high on every single one. I have literally dozens of the symptoms, including unexplainable fatigue, constipation, and endless digestive issues. I'm not "jumping on a bandwagon." I'm trying a new approach since NOTHING else has worked for me, up to and including Accutane. I'm not really sure why I'm getting so much negative pushback for asking a dietary question in the nutrition section of the forum. I'm sorry if other people here are sick of hearing about Candida or don't believe the "hype" or whatever, but it's the only hope I have right now and I came here for support, not for people to react coarsely to a pretty innocuous question.

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 09/26/2012 7:23 pm

[i would describe it as a white cobwebby film on the outside of the stool.

That could be a sign of ulcerative colitis, (diarrhea-predominant) IBS, a bacterial infection, bowel obstruction. Not necessarily candida overgrowth.

I think I suffer from Candida overgrowth because I've been on long-term antibiotics for years at a time, have been overprescribed antibiotics in general, and I took several self-tests and scored insanely high on every single one. I have literally dozens of the symptoms, including unexplainable fatigue, constipation, and endless digestive issues. I'm not "jumping on a bandwagon." I'm trying a new approach since NOTHING else has worked for me, up to and including Accutane. I'm not really sure why I'm getting so much negative pushback for asking a dietary question in the nutrition section of the forum. I'm sorry if other people here are sick of hearing about Candida or don't believe the "hype" or whatever, but it's the only hope I have right now and I came here for support, not for people to react coarsely to a pretty innocuous question.

Did you talk to your doc about it? What self-tests did you take? The candida symptoms are so vague, it could be anything. I'm not sure why you think that I'm not trying to support you, I'm trying to put your feet back on the ground, and make sure you're doing what's right for you. You can't blame people for asking questions, if you don't provide all the information. Just don't fall for every single treatment or diet, promising you that you'll be free of acne, just to find out that it was rubbish. That is support, parroting is not. But good luck with whatever path you choose!

FabianL liked
MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 09/26/2012 7:33 pm

Did you talk to your doc about it? What self-tests did you take? The candida symptoms are so vague, it could be anything. I'm not sure why you think that I'm not trying to support you, I'm trying to put your feet back on the ground, and make sure you're doing what's right for you. You can't blame people for asking questions, if you don't provide all the information. Just don't fall for every single treatment or diet, promising you that you'll be free of acne, just to find out that it was rubbish. That is support, parroting is not. But good luck with whatever path you choose!

These are some of the self tests I took: http://www.nationalcandidacenter.com/candida-self-exams/

http://www.apple-a-day-clinic.com/17.html

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/candida/#axzz27cpbQB1U (not a self test but helpful)

And have read exhaustively about it. I haven't spoken to my doctor because I don't have a doctor because I don't have health insurance. But as far as I can tell it isn't exactly something that can easily be detected through tests anyway. Not to mention that I don't quite trust the doctors who have potentially screwed up my body with antibiotics to be on board with that theory. I appreciate your concern about my decision-making, but right now this is what's best for me and it's literally the only thing I can attempt, financially and otherwise. The idea that this is just a bunch of bull like every single other thing I've tried over the last 16 years, on and off, is frankly too much for me to bear right now.

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 09/26/2012 8:10 pm

These are some of the self tests I took: http://www.nationalc...ida-self-exams/

http://www.apple-a-d...nic.com/17.html

http://www.marksdail.../#axzz27cpbQB1U (not a self test but helpful)

And have read exhaustively about it. I haven't spoken to my doctor because I don't have a doctor because I don't have health insurance. But as far as I can tell it isn't exactly something that can easily be detected through tests anyway. Not to mention that I don't quite trust the doctors who have potentially screwed up my body with antibiotics to be on board with that theory. I appreciate your concern about my decision-making, but right now this is what's best for me and it's literally the only thing I can attempt, financially and otherwise. The idea that this is just a bunch of bull like every single other thing I've tried over the last 16 years, on and off, is frankly too much for me to bear right now.

I thought so, a candida center with no references, a naturopathic doc pursuing a musical career (no offense), and a blogger. So basically, you haven't taken a test for candida, you've read several web pages (which is fine, the Internet is a great resource, just not for self-diagnosis). Considering the fact that you've taken antibiotics for quite some time, it may be a good idea to look into your diet. Avoid processed/refined foods, sugar, etc., and make sure your foods are low GL, Building an alkaline environment should help. As should supplementing with a broad-spectrum probiotic, and fermented foods. Good luck!

FabianL liked
MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 09/26/2012 8:49 pm

I thought so, a candida center with no references, a naturopathic doc pursuing a musical career (no offense), and a blogger. So basically, you haven't taken a test for candida, you've read several web pages (which is fine, the Internet is a great resource, just not for self-diagnosis). Considering the fact that you've taken antibiotics for quite some time, it may be a good idea to look into your diet. Avoid processed/refined foods, sugar, etc., and make sure your foods are low GL, Building an alkaline environment should help. As should supplementing with a broad-spectrum probiotic, and fermented foods. Good luck!

So, you insult my research and then tell me exactly the same thing that the research did? What's a "real" test for Candida? All of your suggestions are things I'm already doing, but thanks for your "helpful" advice. For the record, the condescending attitude in your last post is exactly what makes me think you're not supportive, since you wondered about it earlier.

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 09/26/2012 9:00 pm

So, you insult my research and then tell me exactly the same thing that the research did? What's a "real" test for Candida? All of your suggestions are things I'm already doing, but thanks for your "helpful" advice. For the record, the condescending attitude in your last post is exactly what makes me think you're not supportive, since you wondered about it earlier.

Relax, I'm in no way insulting you, but you said you took a candida self-test, which you didn't. You don't know if you suffer from an overgrowth, that's all I'm saying. The "research" you linked to is not research. And if you do suffer from a yeast overgrowth, yes, then the things you're already doing should help. For the record, I didn't wonder about it, talk about a condescending attitude... Apparently, you know what you need to do, so why ask? Sorry for wasting my time. Won't happen again shrug.gif Again: good luck!

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 09/26/2012 10:10 pm

Relax, I'm in no way insulting you, but you said you took a candida self-test, which you didn't. You don't know if you suffer from an overgrowth, that's all I'm saying. The "research" you linked to is not research. And if you do suffer from a yeast overgrowth, yes, then the things you're already doing should help. For the record, I didn't wonder about it, talk about a condescending attitude... Apparently, you know what you need to do, so why ask? Sorry for wasting my time. Won't happen again shrug.gif Again: good luck!

I didn't say I know I suffer from an overgrowth. I said I'm trying an anti-Candida diet because I've tried everything else and nothing has worked.

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 09/26/2012 10:53 pm

I didn't say I know I suffer from an overgrowth. I said I'm trying an anti-Candida diet because I've tried everything else and nothing has worked.

I think I suffer from Candida overgrowth because I've been on long-term antibiotics for years at a time, have been overprescribed antibiotics in general, and I took several self-tests and scored insanely high on every single one.

To me, that looks like you've said that you think you suffer from an overgrowth, and the topic title does as well. If you don't suffer from an overgrowth, there's no need to try an anti-candida diet. Candida is not harmful (on the contrary), if you don't suffer from an overgrowth. I really advise you to go to your doc, and have him/her do some tests (stool test, blood test, urine test) to be sure.

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 09/26/2012 10:58 pm

To me, that looks like you've said that you think you suffer from an overgrowth, and the topic title does as well. If you don't suffer from an overgrowth, there's no need to try an anti-candida diet. Candida is not harmful (on the contrary), if you don't suffer from an overgrowth. I really advise you to go to your doc, and have a test (stool test, blood test, urine test) to be sure.

I don't have health insurance and I'm completely broke, so going to a doctor is literally, 100% not possible. Eating healthy and exercising are the only things I can afford right now. I might have an overgrowth, but even if I don't, eating an anti-Candida diet can't hurt. Doing the diet is basically the only way for me to figure out if it's the cause of my problem or not.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 09/27/2012 7:32 am

AKL I appreciate your views on this board a lot. But please remember that a LOT of us do not have access to doctors. I only say this because Mammasay just had to tell you twice that she does not have a doctor or medical insurance. It's frustrating to see, because people have said the same things to me many times on this board and it's like they just don't understand, when you don't have medical insurance or a hell of a lot of money, seeing a doctor is not an option, period. It would take over half the money I make per month (ALL of which goes to rent and food) to buy myself a few minute's of a doctor's time. It just isn't possible for many of us, and like Mammasay, I think myself and many others also feel that doctors didn't help. I saw over 10 different doctors for all of this stuff when I was younger (digestive problems, skin problems, hormonal issues, etc) and I got no help whatsoever.

I feel like Mammasay had a similar experience and it can be frustrating to be told to see a doctor when you're in such circumstances.

I do agree with your view that it's hard to say whether something is Candida or not. For one, I think it's rarely as simple as "this person has candida and that is why they have bad skin." Candida is a factor, but Candida overgrowth only happens when other things are wrong in the body. The good thing about the sort of diet that I've been promoting is that it's healthy for the body anyway. I really believe that a Paleo style diet (modified for the individual of course) will heal just about anything over time because it provides the body everything it needs and doesn't include any bad stuff that damages the gut or helps Candida remain. I don't necessarily think a person should jump into a hardcore Candida detox program with zero carbs and all kinds of powerful anti-Candida herbs without knowing what they are doing, but every single person who even suspects they have Candida or gut issues can do the Paleo/Specific Carb Diet just fine without worrying that they may end up with a deficiency or something along those lines.

Mammasay, my heart really aches for you. I feel your position is similar to mine. Try not to get frustrated with the different opinions you encounter on these boards. There are a lot of people floating around with many different ideas, and I'm sure they mostly all mean well. I know that AKL has good intentions. Just try and take everything you read with a grain of salt and go with what feels right for you.

*hugs* Believe it will get better! I'm forcing myself to believe that I can too. :)

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 09/27/2012 3:28 pm

AKL I appreciate your views on this board a lot. But please remember that a LOT of us do not have access to doctors. I only say this because Mammasay just had to tell you twice that she does not have a doctor or medical insurance. It's frustrating to see, because people have said the same things to me many times on this board and it's like they just don't understand, when you don't have medical insurance or a hell of a lot of money, seeing a doctor is not an option, period. It would take over half the money I make per month (ALL of which goes to rent and food) to buy myself a few minute's of a doctor's time. It just isn't possible for many of us, and like Mammasay, I think myself and many others also feel that doctors didn't help. I saw over 10 different doctors for all of this stuff when I was younger (digestive problems, skin problems, hormonal issues, etc) and I got no help whatsoever.

I feel like Mammasay had a similar experience and it can be frustrating to be told to see a doctor when you're in such circumstances.

I do agree with your view that it's hard to say whether something is Candida or not. For one, I think it's rarely as simple as "this person has candida and that is why they have bad skin." Candida is a factor, but Candida overgrowth only happens when other things are wrong in the body. The good thing about the sort of diet that I've been promoting is that it's healthy for the body anyway. I really believe that a Paleo style diet (modified for the individual of course) will heal just about anything over time because it provides the body everything it needs and doesn't include any bad stuff that damages the gut or helps Candida remain. I don't necessarily think a person should jump into a hardcore Candida detox program with zero carbs and all kinds of powerful anti-Candida herbs without knowing what they are doing, but every single person who even suspects they have Candida or gut issues can do the Paleo/Specific Carb Diet just fine without worrying that they may end up with a deficiency or something along those lines.

Mammasay, my heart really aches for you. I feel your position is similar to mine. Try not to get frustrated with the different opinions you encounter on these boards. There are a lot of people floating around with many different ideas, and I'm sure they mostly all mean well. I know that AKL has good intentions. Just try and take everything you read with a grain of salt and go with what feels right for you.

*hugs* Believe it will get better! I'm forcing myself to believe that I can too. smile.png

Thanks so much. I really really appreciate it, more than you know.

Last night was a bad night. I'm sure AKL is a good person and meant well but it was just frustrating to have multiple people rather harshly telling me I'm doing the wrong thing instead of addressing what I was actually asking, when I didn't really ask for anyone's input on Candida or diets in general. Benzoyl Peroxide has never worked for me, but I don't go on those threads telling people they're doing it all wrong. I also just haven't seen much negativity on other people's threads and it rubbed me the wrong way. This is all I can do right now so if it's wrong, I have nothing.

But sincerely thank you for your input. I feel like I'm pretty much following a vegetarian paleo diet and I do feel like it's helping a bit. I feel like I'm getting healthier too. The only real setback is the Coconut Oil makes me feel really lousy for a good few hours, but I'm hoping that means it's actually working? I have a friend who is on the Paleo diet for years now and takes several tablespoons of Coconut Oil every day and has never had any side effects.

The only really new development is that I put white vinegar (I didn't have Apple Cider Vinegar) on my face for the first time last night and woke up this morning with NO new pimples and my skin actually looks and feels better. I guess that might mean that most of my acne is actually folliculitis right now (which I've had before) if vinegar is helping? But either way, that's making me a bit hopeful. Anyway, thanks again for your support. Really.

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 09/27/2012 8:56 pm

Yes, I hear you, deja. It's quite a weird concept for me to even think about the fact that people in a civilized country don't have access to a doctor. Over here, not having access to a doctor is like not having access to air. Just to set things straight: she told me once that she didn't have a doc, because she didn't have health insurance. Since she also asked about supplements initially, there was no way of me knowing that she couldn't afford to see a doc (if you can afford supplements, then you have money to have a test done). And that's why I suggested to see one. But anyway, the symptoms that are mentioned on those websites can mean anything, it may have nothing at all to do with candida. And surely, even though I know that doctors may not always be able to help you, it should be a first step, if only to exclude a more serious issue that mammasay may suffer from. Health is not something to take lightly, nor is experimenting with it imo. I agree that a healthy, balanced diet is the basis for everything, but it may not be enough, as I've seen more often than not, also on these boards.

I have no idea what a doc visit costs without insurance, but think of all the costs involved in supplements that are recommended, for example (mammasay referred to them in her first post). Since mammasay said that she's already doing all the basic things, I wasn't sure if simple dietary changes would be sufficient, nor if they would be necessary. Isn't there a way to have a test done, without it costing a fortune? If you're uninsured, a consult would cost about 30 Euro here (if we'd have to pay for it ourselves, which we don't), can't be that much more expensive in the US, I think/hope? A blood test for thyroid issues (often performed when you suffer from fatigue) costs about 7 Euro. Those costs combined are about the same or less as for a bottle of good quality probiotics. And you'll know whether or not thyroid is an issue, that must be reassuring. If I'm not mistaken, there are options for you guys to have an online consult as well, that should save some money. All in all it shouldn't have to cost a fortune, while providing ease of mind, and knowing what to focus on (or what not), or at least put you in the right direction. But as said, I have no idea about the costs in the US. And obviously, at this moment it's not an option for mammasay. Maybe in the future.

Last night was a bad night. I'm sure AKL is a good person and meant well but it was just frustrating to have multiple people rather harshly telling me I'm doing the wrong thing instead of addressing what I was actually asking, when I didn't really ask for anyone's input on Candida or diets in general. Benzoyl Peroxide has never worked for me, but I don't go on those threads telling people they're doing it all wrong. I also just haven't seen much negativity on other people's threads and it rubbed me the wrong way. This is all I can do right now so if it's wrong, I have nothing.

I'm sorry, I know it's sometimes difficult to interpret the tone of a message when reading a post, especially when they're being bluntly honest, which may come across as harsh. People are trying to help, even though it's not always what you want to hear. Your topic title ("Candida - Which Diet Is Best?") made me think your questions were related to candida, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one, which is why that specific issue was addressed. Anyway, there are just so many people, trying all the things that are posted here (because it helped one or two persons), without results (or worse). I'm 100% sure that everyone wants you to clear up, while at the same time some of us are trying to prevent you from falling into yet another trap. Everybody could have just told you to change your diet in order to try and combat candida, but no one asked if you know that candida is the source for your issues. If it's not, then you're trying to fight windmills, surely that won't help you one bit. I'm glad to read that your diet seems to help a little, though.

If this is all you can do/afford right now, then so be it, just don't give up if it fails, there is something that will work for you! It may take a lot of time and effort, so try not to get frustrated, that sure won't help.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 09/28/2012 5:14 am

@ mammasay

My advice.

Don't read anything with emotion on here. Read it dead pan. The data is what it is.

AKL is a good guy in that he gives unbiased advice and that's what people need around here.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 09/28/2012 5:45 am

If you're uninsured, a consult would cost about 30 Euro here (if we'd have to pay for it ourselves, which we don't), can't be that much more expensive in the US, I think/hope?

I've never paid anything less than $100 something for a doctor visit here, and that's just the visit. Any tests/xrays/medicines are wayyy more. When I was going to the dermatologists she was charging me $200 for a tiny tube of skin cream on top of OVER $100 per visit.

Just to put it in perspective, my total rent is $400 a month and I pay $200 after splitting with my boyfriend. I make about $250 a month right now and there is pretty much nothing left after food. If I didn't get food aid I wouldn't be eating. Thank God the government does that for us, since they don't do much else.

And yeah I figured you were probably not American. All of my British friends have always been baffled when I tell them I haven't been to a doctor since 2008. Yet most of my friends here can't afford doctors either. I had one friend who lived with the pain of broken teeth in his mouth for years just because he couldn't afford to fix it. There are so many stories like that, it's really sad.