Notifications
Clear all

Candida - Which Diet Is Best?

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 09/28/2012 6:54 am

If you're uninsured, a consult would cost about 30 Euro here (if we'd have to pay for it ourselves, which we don't), can't be that much more expensive in the US, I think/hope?

I've never paid anything less than $100 something for a doctor visit here, and that's just the visit. Any tests/xrays/medicines are wayyy more. When I was going to the dermatologists she was charging me $200 for a tiny tube of skin cream on top of OVER $100 per visit.

Just to put it in perspective, my total rent is $400 a month and I pay $200 after splitting with my boyfriend. I make about $250 a month right now and there is pretty much nothing left after food. If I didn't get food aid I wouldn't be eating. Thank God the government does that for us, since they don't do much else.

And yeah I figured you were probably not American. All of my British friends have always been baffled when I tell them I haven't been to a doctor since 2008. Yet most of my friends here can't afford doctors either. I had one friend who lived with the pain of broken teeth in his mouth for years just because he couldn't afford to fix it. There are so many stories like that, it's really sad.

Forgive my ignorance but doesn't the states have some form of free medical care now?

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 09/28/2012 7:17 am

No, we do not. I have no idea when all that stuff is supposed to start, or how it's even going to work. I think they are basically making everyone buy insurance, which isn't much of a solution. But people like me who have no money are supposed to get some sort of free coverage. I'm not sure what all is covered or how "free" it is. There have been a lot of people trying to fight against it happening, so we'll have to wait and see I guess. Last I heard it was supposed to begin in 2014 but something may have changed.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 09/28/2012 9:27 am

No, we do not. I have no idea when all that stuff is supposed to start, or how it's even going to work. I think they are basically making everyone buy insurance, which isn't much of a solution. But people like me who have no money are supposed to get some sort of free coverage. I'm not sure what all is covered or how "free" it is. There have been a lot of people trying to fight against it happening, so we'll have to wait and see I guess. Last I heard it was supposed to begin in 2014 but something may have changed.

It's terrible that a country as big and as rich as America does not have free health care. The less well off are just left to rot!

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 09/28/2012 10:59 am

AKL I appreciate your views on this board a lot. But please remember that a LOT of us do not have access to doctors. I only say this because Mammasay just had to tell you twice that she does not have a doctor or medical insurance. It's frustrating to see, because people have said the same things to me many times on this board and it's like they just don't understand, when you don't have medical insurance or a hell of a lot of money, seeing a doctor is not an option, period. It would take over half the money I make per month (ALL of which goes to rent and food) to buy myself a few minute's of a doctor's time. It just isn't possible for many of us, and like Mammasay, I think myself and many others also feel that doctors didn't help. I saw over 10 different doctors for all of this stuff when I was younger (digestive problems, skin problems, hormonal issues, etc) and I got no help whatsoever.

I feel like Mammasay had a similar experience and it can be frustrating to be told to see a doctor when you're in such circumstances.

I do agree with your view that it's hard to say whether something is Candida or not. For one, I think it's rarely as simple as "this person has candida and that is why they have bad skin." Candida is a factor, but Candida overgrowth only happens when other things are wrong in the body. The good thing about the sort of diet that I've been promoting is that it's healthy for the body anyway. I really believe that a Paleo style diet (modified for the individual of course) will heal just about anything over time because it provides the body everything it needs and doesn't include any bad stuff that damages the gut or helps Candida remain. I don't necessarily think a person should jump into a hardcore Candida detox program with zero carbs and all kinds of powerful anti-Candida herbs without knowing what they are doing, but every single person who even suspects they have Candida or gut issues can do the Paleo/Specific Carb Diet just fine without worrying that they may end up with a deficiency or something along those lines.

Yes, I hear you, deja. It's quite a weird concept for me to even think about the fact that people in a civilized country don't have access to a doctor. Over here, not having access to a doctor is like not having access to air. Just to set things straight: she told me once that she didn't have a doc, because she didn't have health insurance. Since she also asked about supplements initially, there was no way of me knowing that she couldn't afford to see a doc (if you can afford supplements, then you have money to have a test done). And that's why I suggested to see one. But anyway, the symptoms that are mentioned on those websites can mean anything, it may have nothing at all to do with candida. And surely, even though I know that doctors may not always be able to help you, it should be a first step, if only to exclude a more serious issue that mammasay may suffer from. Health is not something to take lightly, nor is experimenting with it imo. I agree that a healthy, balanced diet is the basis for everything, but it may not be enough, as I've seen more often than not, also on these boards.

I have no idea what a doc visit costs without insurance, but think of all the costs involved in supplements that are recommended, for example (mammasay referred to them in her first post). Since mammasay said that she's already doing all the basic things, I wasn't sure if simple dietary changes would be sufficient, nor if they would be necessary. Isn't there a way to have a test done, without it costing a fortune? If you're uninsured, a consult would cost about 30 Euro here (if we'd have to pay for it ourselves, which we don't), can't be that much more expensive in the US, I think/hope? A blood test for thyroid issues (often performed when you suffer from fatigue) costs about 7 Euro. Those costs combined are about the same or less as for a bottle of good quality probiotics. And you'll know whether or not thyroid is an issue, that must be reassuring. If I'm not mistaken, there are options for you guys to have an online consult as well, that should save some money. All in all it shouldn't have to cost a fortune, while providing ease of mind, and knowing what to focus on (or what not), or at least put you in the right direction. But as said, I have no idea about the costs in the US. And obviously, at this moment it's not an option for mammasay. Maybe in the future.

Last night was a bad night. I'm sure AKL is a good person and meant well but it was just frustrating to have multiple people rather harshly telling me I'm doing the wrong thing instead of addressing what I was actually asking, when I didn't really ask for anyone's input on Candida or diets in general. Benzoyl Peroxide has never worked for me, but I don't go on those threads telling people they're doing it all wrong. I also just haven't seen much negativity on other people's threads and it rubbed me the wrong way. This is all I can do right now so if it's wrong, I have nothing.

I'm sorry, I know it's sometimes difficult to interpret the tone of a message when reading a post, especially when they're being bluntly honest, which may come across as harsh. People are trying to help, even though it's not always what you want to hear. Your topic title ("Candida - Which Diet Is Best?") made me think your questions were related to candida, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one, which is why that specific issue was addressed. Anyway, there are just so many people, trying all the things that are posted here (because it helped one or two persons), without results (or worse). I'm 100% sure that everyone wants you to clear up, while at the same time some of us are trying to prevent you from falling into yet another trap. Everybody could have just told you to change your diet in order to try and combat candida, but no one asked if you know that candida is the source for your issues. If it's not, then you're trying to fight windmills, surely that won't help you one bit. I'm glad to read that your diet seems to help a little, though.

If this is all you can do/afford right now, then so be it, just don't give up if it fails, there is something that will work for you! It may take a lot of time and effort, so try not to get frustrated, that sure won't help.

Thanks. I do appreciate your input. I was just having a bad night and didn't really feel like being challenged. I live in New York City. A doctor's visit alone here is at least $200, plus tests would be hundreds more. All of the supplements I would need would be about $60. I can spare $60, but I can't spare hundreds. Healthcare here in general, I've found, is extremely expensive but not extremely good. I've been to dozens of doctors for several ailments including my skin, and it is difficult to find a good doctor who actually listens to you. It would be entirely possible that I would pay hundreds of dollars to see a doctor only to have him/her refuse to do the test I wanted because they didn't believe that was my issue (without doing or giving me anything that actually helps me, of course). I had to fight with a doctor to have a sonogram of my gallbladder because I believed I had gallstones. He said he was positive I absolutely did not have gallstones and my problem was something else entirely (not that he knew what that something else was, of course). Turns out, my gallbladder was so full of stones that I had to have emergency surgery because it might rupture. And that's not an abnormal case really. Anyway, I know I didn't make it very clear in the first place. I thought people would probably assume if I can't afford to pay for health insurance I also can't afford to go to the doctor, but if you're not dealing with the mess that is the American healthcare system I can see how that wouldn't be immediately evident. But yes, that's my situation.

It's terrible that a country as big and as rich as America does not have free health care. The less well off are just left to rot!

Yes, it is, and yes, they are! The only "free" healthcare we have is Medicaid, which I don't qualify for because of a few technicalities, and it's not very good anyway. Most of the Affordable Care Act will go into effect in 2014, if President Obama gets re-elected.

If you're uninsured, a consult would cost about 30 Euro here (if we'd have to pay for it ourselves, which we don't), can't be that much more expensive in the US, I think/hope?

I've never paid anything less than $100 something for a doctor visit here, and that's just the visit. Any tests/xrays/medicines are wayyy more. When I was going to the dermatologists she was charging me $200 for a tiny tube of skin cream on top of OVER $100 per visit.

Just to put it in perspective, my total rent is $400 a month and I pay $200 after splitting with my boyfriend. I make about $250 a month right now and there is pretty much nothing left after food. If I didn't get food aid I wouldn't be eating. Thank God the government does that for us, since they don't do much else.

And yeah I figured you were probably not American. All of my British friends have always been baffled when I tell them I haven't been to a doctor since 2008. Yet most of my friends here can't afford doctors either. I had one friend who lived with the pain of broken teeth in his mouth for years just because he couldn't afford to fix it. There are so many stories like that, it's really sad.

Thanks for adding to this thread. It's nice to hear from someone who is in the same boat. The fact that people abroad can't even wrap their minds around healthcare in this country makes me even more angry that this is still what's going on here. A friend of a friend of mine just died of cancer. If she had healthcare and was able to go to the doctor regularly, they would have caught it much earlier and she probably would have survived. It's truly a disgrace.

@ mammasay

My advice.

Don't read anything with emotion on here. Read it dead pan. The data is what it is.

AKL is a good guy in that he gives unbiased advice and that's what people need around here.

Thanks. I certainly have trouble doing that sometimes and the other night was just especially bad for me. But I'll do my best.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 09/28/2012 1:53 pm

I'm sorry about your friend. :(

MemberMember
(@bearishly)

Posted : 09/28/2012 2:28 pm

Don't you love how policy works in our country? It's so complicated and poorly explained, that no one really understands what their elected officials are voting on. No wonder people are so disconnected.

What you're thinking of is either medicaid expansion, or premium capping.

Starting in 2014, medicaid is being expanded to include anybody whose adjusted gross income is up to 133% of the federal poverty level. If you're a single person, that's about $14,900. (TX, FL, MS, LA, and SC have all opted out of this because Medicaid is paid for partially by states and counties).

If you still aren't eligible for medicaid, you have to have health insurance, or pay a penalty. That penalty is either $95, or 1% of your income (whichever is greater).

Premium capping puts a cap on the amount of money you can spend on premiums before it's paid by the insurer. So, again, if you're a single person at 133% of the poverty level, you can't pay MORE than 3% of your income, or $447. This goes all the way up to 400% of the poverty level (so, for a single person, an income of $44,680).

I don't mean to derail the thread, just want to make sure people know what their coverage will be and what their elected officials have been up to.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 09/28/2012 2:53 pm

Well I certainly don't make that much per year. But it's nearing the end of 2012 and no one has offered me healthcare thus far.

MemberMember
(@bearishly)

Posted : 09/28/2012 2:55 pm

Well I certainly don't make that much per year. But it's nearing the end of 2012 and no one has offered me healthcare thus far.

Drrr, should've said 2014. It's fixed.

As a side note, that example income is only if you file taxes as a single with no dependents. It changes depending on your filing status.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 09/28/2012 3:54 pm

Yeah I am single (legally) and definitely don't have any dependents nor do I want any!

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 09/28/2012 9:44 pm

@ mammasay

My advice.

Don't read anything with emotion on here. Read it dead pan. The data is what it is.

AKL is a good guy in that he gives unbiased advice and that's what people need around here.

Why thank you, sir! Help remind me to buy you a Guinness next time I'm in London. Provided you're there too, of course, or I'd have to take 2, which would be a burden wink.png

Holy cow! No wonder you guys can't afford it! Must be awesome to live in the land of unlimited possibilities. Too bad you need a lot of money to take advantage of them. You probably won't believe that if you live alone here, and have no job (for whatever reason, except being too lazy to work), you get at least ‚650/$835 (up to ‚900/$1155) a month to cover for expenses, buy food, rent a place, be able to pay for health insurance, etc. Geez...this definitely puts things in perspective. Obviously, we pay a lot of taxes, but I'm more than happy to do so, knowing that people who are not as fortunate still have access to all the basic facilities.

Thanks. I do appreciate your input. I was just having a bad night and didn't really feel like being challenged. I live in New York City. A doctor's visit alone here is at least $200, plus tests would be hundreds more. All of the supplements I would need would be about $60. I can spare $60, but I can't spare hundreds. Healthcare here in general, I've found, is extremely expensive but not extremely good. I've been to dozens of doctors for several ailments including my skin, and it is difficult to find a good doctor who actually listens to you. It would be entirely possible that I would pay hundreds of dollars to see a doctor only to have him/her refuse to do the test I wanted because they didn't believe that was my issue (without doing or giving me anything that actually helps me, of course). I had to fight with a doctor to have a sonogram of my gallbladder because I believed I had gallstones. He said he was positive I absolutely did not have gallstones and my problem was something else entirely (not that he knew what that something else was, of course). Turns out, my gallbladder was so full of stones that I had to have emergency surgery because it might rupture. And that's not an abnormal case really. Anyway, I know I didn't make it very clear in the first place. I thought people would probably assume if I can't afford to pay for health insurance I also can't afford to go to the doctor, but if you're not dealing with the mess that is the American healthcare system I can see how that wouldn't be immediately evident. But yes, that's my situation.

It's alright, mammasay, everybody has bad nights every now and then. I knew that your "health care system" sucked big time, but it's even worse than I thought! And those prices are just absurd! Isn't it a human right to have access to health care? Guess the ones with money don't really give a rat's ass, as long as they don't have to pay more taxes. Yay to solidarity...

Oh man, but they need all that money to finance their useless wars, you know. That's much more important than taking care of your citizens. They'd better hope that Obama gets re-elected, and that the people vote for a Democratic majority in Congress next time, otherwise I don't see this happen anytime soon. Cowboys, I tell ya tongue.png

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 09/28/2012 11:30 pm

I'm sorry about your friend. sad.png

Thanks, I didn't actually know her personally but it's tragic nonetheless.

Don't you love how policy works in our country? It's so complicated and poorly explained, that no one really understands what their elected officials are voting on. No wonder people are so disconnected.

What you're thinking of is either medicaid expansion, or premium capping.

Starting in 2014, medicaid is being expanded to include anybody whose adjusted gross income is up to 133% of the federal poverty level. If you're a single person, that's about $14,900. (TX, FL, MS, LA, and SC have all opted out of this because Medicaid is paid for partially by states and counties).

If you still aren't eligible for medicaid, you have to have health insurance, or pay a penalty. That penalty is either $95, or 1% of your income (whichever is greater).

Premium capping puts a cap on the amount of money you can spend on premiums before it's paid by the insurer. So, again, if you're a single person at 133% of the poverty level, you can't pay MORE than 3% of your income, or $447. This goes all the way up to 400% of the poverty level (so, for a single person, an income of $44,680).

I don't mean to derail the thread, just want to make sure people know what their coverage will be and what their elected officials have been up to.

Just to be clear, that's $447 A YEAR?! I only made slightly more than that last year and I'm having trouble finding health insurance for less than $447 a MONTH.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 09/28/2012 11:38 pm

To me, that looks like you've said that you think you suffer from an overgrowth, and the topic title does as well. If you don't suffer from an overgrowth, there's no need to try an anti-candida diet. Candida is not harmful (on the contrary), if you don't suffer from an overgrowth. I really advise you to go to your doc, and have a test (stool test, blood test, urine test) to be sure.

I don't have health insurance and I'm completely broke, so going to a doctor is literally, 100% not possible. Eating healthy and exercising are the only things I can afford right now. I might have an overgrowth, but even if I don't, eating an anti-Candida diet can't hurt. Doing the diet is basically the only way for me to figure out if it's the cause of my problem or not.

Switching to a Paleo-lite (I still eat rice a couple times a week) diet helped me. Not too get all TMI on you or anything (but hey! this is relevant to your question, so I might as well share rolleyes.gif ) but I had a major overgrowth of candida in the form of a yeast infection that lasted from January 2012-April 2012, and I most certainly tried over-the-counter things to clear it. I know that I got the overgrowth as a result of my diet that was absolutely chock-full of high glycemic foods at the time.

I know you don't eat meat, but it helped me so much to clear nearly all grains and eliminate dairy from my diet. My gut health is better than it's ever been, and it would probably do you a world of good to at least nix high glycemic stuff. Also, I'd advise to keep it up with the occasional meal containing some form of seafood. I personally do not believe that it's healthy for a person to deny themselves all forms of animal protein.

Hope that helped you!

Cherry

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 09/28/2012 11:53 pm

Isn't it a human right to have access to health care? Guess the ones with money don't really give a rat's ass, as long as they don't have to pay more taxes. Yay to solidarity...

Yes, that's basically the debate going on in this country right now. Certain people and public figures believe that yes, health care is a basic human right. Others (ahem) notoriously deride people who feel they are "entitled to health care." It's frankly a terrifying situation, especially witnessing all this from the position I'm in.

To me, that looks like you've said that you think you suffer from an overgrowth, and the topic title does as well. If you don't suffer from an overgrowth, there's no need to try an anti-candida diet. Candida is not harmful (on the contrary), if you don't suffer from an overgrowth. I really advise you to go to your doc, and have a test (stool test, blood test, urine test) to be sure.

I don't have health insurance and I'm completely broke, so going to a doctor is literally, 100% not possible. Eating healthy and exercising are the only things I can afford right now. I might have an overgrowth, but even if I don't, eating an anti-Candida diet can't hurt. Doing the diet is basically the only way for me to figure out if it's the cause of my problem or not.

Switching to a Paleo-lite (I still eat rice a couple times a week) diet helped me. Not too get all TMI on you or anything (but hey! this is relevant to your question, so I might as well share rolleyes.gif ) but I had a major overgrowth of candida in the form of a yeast infection that lasted from January 2012-April 2012, and I most certainly tried over-the-counter things to clear it. I know that I got the overgrowth as a result of my diet that was absolutely chock-full of high glycemic foods at the time.

I know you don't eat meat, but it helped me so much to clear grains and dairy from my diet. My gut health is better than it's ever been, and it would probably do you a world of good to at least nix high glycemic stuff. Also, I'd advise to keep it up with the occasional meal containing some form of seafood. I personally do not believe that it's healthy for a person to deny themselves all forms of animal protein.

Hope that helped you!

Cherry

Thanks, this is really helpful. I've hit a bit of a bump in the road the last few days. Last night I went to see a friend's band play and towards the end felt really faint and had to sit down and drink water. I was really hot, and had felt hot the whole show, but everyone else said it was actually unpleasantly cold in the venue. Then today after taking the coconut oil I was in SO much pain. I felt really nauseated, more than usual, and had terrible heartburn, stomach cramps and dizziness. I had to lie down and sleep it off for a few hours, and even still the heartburn hasn't totally subsided. Some people would probably say that means the coconut oil is working but I can't deal with that much pain and being totally out of commission like that, even if it means getting better. I'm also realizing I just don't have enough variety in my diet to completely cut out things like rice/quinoa and legumes, so now I think I'm going to try a digestive enzyme like Candex and some probiotics and see how that goes. It's VERY much like me to go to extremes like I did with this diet, so it's nice to hear that doing a less strict Paleo diet has still worked for you. :)

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 09/29/2012 2:45 am

Isn't it a human right to have access to health care? Guess the ones with money don't really give a rat's ass, as long as they don't have to pay more taxes. Yay to solidarity...

Yes, that's basically the debate going on in this country right now. Certain people and public figures believe that yes, health care is a basic human right. Others (ahem) notoriously deride people who feel they are "entitled to health care." It's frankly a terrifying situation, especially witnessing all this from the position I'm in.

I know you don't eat meat, but it helped me so much to clear grains and dairy from my diet. My gut health is better than it's ever been, and it would probably do you a world of good to at least nix high glycemic stuff. Also, I'd advise to keep it up with the occasional meal containing some form of seafood. I personally do not believe that it's healthy for a person to deny themselves all forms of animal protein.

Hope that helped you!

Cherry

Thanks, this is really helpful. I've hit a bit of a bump in the road the last few days. Last night I went to see a friend's band play and towards the end felt really faint and had to sit down and drink water. I was really hot, and had felt hot the whole show, but everyone else said it was actually unpleasantly cold in the venue. Then today after taking the coconut oil I was in SO much pain. I felt really nauseated, more than usual, and had terrible heartburn, stomach cramps and dizziness. I had to lie down and sleep it off for a few hours, and even still the heartburn hasn't totally subsided. Some people would probably say that means the coconut oil is working but I can't deal with that much pain and being totally out of commission like that, even if it means getting better. I'm also realizing I just don't have enough variety in my diet to completely cut out things like rice/quinoa and legumes, so now I think I'm going to try a digestive enzyme like Candex and some probiotics and see how that goes. It's VERY much like me to go to extremes like I did with this diet, so it's nice to hear that doing a less strict Paleo diet has still worked for you. smile.png

I eat coconut oil in that I use it to prepare certain dishes. I have never felt pain or discomfort from it before. That doesn't sound at all normal. Are you eating spoonfuls of straight coconut oil? If so, may I ask why?

Probiotics have also served me well. rolleyes.gif I've been taking a spoonful of coconut water kefir everyday since June, and it's been nearly a miracle cure for the digestive problems I used to have. I was not at all a healthy person until I made these radical changes to my diet, and I'm nearly certain that in a few years I might have become pre-diabetic. I was beginning to feel the detrimental effects to my body from years of eating a diet high in wheat and dairy at only 27 years of age. Not good.

You don't need to go to extremes. wink.png The things that I've incorporated into my diet (coconut milk, almond milk, vegan cheese, the occasional gluten-free pizza, coconut flour pancakes...etc.) don't make it seem at all as if I'm denying myself. Just do your research, and give yourself the opportunity for trial and error. If someone as unhealthy as I was can figure out what's right for her body, then anyone can!

MemberMember
(@bearishly)

Posted : 09/29/2012 7:10 am

\Just to be clear, that's $447 A YEAR?! I only made slightly more than that last year and I'm having trouble finding health insurance for less than $447 a MONTH.

$447 a year is the premium cap IF you're making 133% of the Povery level or less. If you don't have insurance, then you're eligible for medicaid. Sounds like you'll be eligible for medicaid in 2014 (provided you don't live in the states that aren't supporting the medicaid expansion).

This is why it's so important to eat healthy and exercise. Who can afford to be sick?

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 09/29/2012 8:06 am

You don't need to go to extremes. wink.png The things that I've incorporated into my diet (coconut milk, almond milk, vegan cheese, the occasional gluten-free pizza, coconut flour pancakes...etc.) don't make it seem at all as if I'm denying myself. Just do your research, and give yourself the opportunity for trial and error. If someone as unhealthy as I was can figure out what's right for her body, then anyone can!

Unfortunately some of us do have to go to extremes... if I eat most of the stuff you mentioned I get sick/break out. I always got sick from any type of flour, even gluten free flours. I was doing way worse until I eliminated rice completely too. Then beans. Then sweet potatoes. I'm still not doing well but I'm hoping it improves.

I never had the really drastic detox reaction to coconut oil though. I guess my Candida is immune, because I eat TONS of it a day and it hasn't done anything to stop my issues.

JJFranko liked
MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 09/29/2012 10:22 am

\Just to be clear, that's $447 A YEAR?! I only made slightly more than that last year and I'm having trouble finding health insurance for less than $447 a MONTH.

$447 a year is the premium cap IF you're making 133% of the Povery level or less. If you don't have insurance, then you're eligible for medicaid. Sounds like you'll be eligible for medicaid in 2014 (provided you don't live in the states that aren't supporting the medicaid expansion).

This is why it's so important to eat healthy and exercise. Who can afford to be sick?

Yep, exactly! From what I understand, I make slightly too much to qualify for Medicaid (about $16,000 last year) but I can't afford to actually pay for my own insurance at hundreds of dollars a month on top of my rent and food. Hopefully by 2014 I'll have a real job, but if not that premium cap sounds pretty amazing.

I eat coconut oil in that I use it to prepare certain dishes. I have never felt pain or discomfort from it before. That doesn't sound at all normal. Are you eating spoonfuls of straight coconut oil? If so, may I ask why?

Probiotics have also served me well. rolleyes.gif I've been taking a spoonful of coconut water kefir everyday since June, and it's been nearly a miracle cure for the digestive problems I used to have. I was not at all a healthy person until I made these radical changes to my diet, and I'm nearly certain that in a few years I might have become pre-diabetic. I was beginning to feel the detrimental effects to my body from years of eating a diet high in wheat and dairy at only 27 years of age. Not good.

Thanks. I'm definitely going to try probiotics. Do you make the kefir yourself? If not, where do you get it? I am/was taking spoonfuls of coconut oil because that's what nearly all of the diets and info I was reading said to do. Though I do have a Paleo friend who does the same thing everyday and has never had an adverse reaction. He thought I was crazy when I told him how nauseated it made me feel, but I know 100% that it was the cause, at least yesterday. I guess I'll cut back but I wasn't expecting to feel so weak overall eating a healthier diet. I feel like I'm missing something but I don't know what.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 09/29/2012 5:18 pm

Yep, exactly! From what I understand, I make slightly too much to qualify for Medicaid (about $16,000 last year) but I can't afford to actually pay for my own insurance at hundreds of dollars a month on top of my rent and food. Hopefully by 2014 I'll have a real job, but if not that premium cap sounds pretty amazing.

Thanks. I'm definitely going to try probiotics. Do you make the kefir yourself? If not, where do you get it? I am/was taking spoonfuls of coconut oil because that's what nearly all of the diets and info I was reading said to do. Though I do have a Paleo friend who does the same thing everyday and has never had an adverse reaction. He thought I was crazy when I told him how nauseated it made me feel, but I know 100% that it was the cause, at least yesterday. I guess I'll cut back but I wasn't expecting to feel so weak overall eating a healthier diet. I feel like I'm missing something but I don't know what.

Oh, I definitely do not have the time to make the kefir myself. I'm a student with a jam-packed schedule. I'm lucky if I have enough time to sit down and make a homemade meal. wink.png This is the brand I buy , and I get it at Whole Foods. You can probably do a search for the Inner Eco coconut water kefir to find a store that sells it within reasonable distance from you. You said earlier that you live in New York City, right? Having spent quite a bit of time there, I have no doubt that'd you'd find at least some type of water kefir.

Maybe if I had the time, and the space to brew the water kefir here at home, then I might try it out. However, it's so convenient to buy the bottles that last an entire month. The cost of purchasing a bottle of coconut water kefir works out to around $0.50 a day. At that cost, you'd kinda have to be crazy to want to make your own at home.

I think it sounds like a good idea to back off the coconut oil, if not ceasing to take it by the spoonful (or however you're taking it) entirely. Maybe you could just try cooking with it. I wonder, why does your Paleo-friend take the coconut oil all by itself everyday? Still not clear about why someone would do this. Would you mind explaining that to me? rolleyes.gif

Let me know if the link I included with the coconut water kefir label doesn't work.

Take care,

Cherry

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 10/01/2012 12:26 pm

Oh, I definitely do not have the time to make the kefir myself. I'm a student with a jam-packed schedule. I'm lucky if I have enough time to sit down and make a homemade meal. wink.png This is the brand I buy , and I get it at Whole Foods. You can probably do a search for the Inner Eco coconut water kefir to find a store that sells it within reasonable distance from you. You said earlier that you live in New York City, right? Having spent quite a bit of time there, I have no doubt that'd you'd find at least some type of water kefir.

Maybe if I had the time, and the space to brew the water kefir here at home, then I might try it out. However, it's so convenient to buy the bottles that last an entire month. The cost of purchasing a bottle of coconut water kefir works out to around $0.50 a day. At that cost, you'd kinda have to be crazy to want to make your own at home.

I think it sounds like a good idea to back off the coconut oil, if not ceasing to take it by the spoonful (or however you're taking it) entirely. Maybe you could just try cooking with it. I wonder, why does your Paleo-friend take the coconut oil all by itself everyday? Still not clear about why someone would do this. Would you mind explaining that to me? rolleyes.gif

Let me know if the link I included with the coconut water kefir label doesn't work.

Take care,

Cherry

Darn, I was just in Whole Foods the other day and saw Coconut Water Kefir near the probiotics! I think it was a different brand, though. I'll have to check it out.

Well, my friend just takes it because it's good for you and he likes the taste. He also cooks with it but I guess the idea of taking it by the spoonful is to get more of it than the small amount you get from cooking in it. In all of the anti-Candida diets I've looked into, they suggest directly taking at least 2 tablespoons of coconut oil a day (some suggest several more than that). It's a natural antimicrobial/antifungal (I'm actually not sure which, my brain is fried from everything I've been reading the last few weeks!) so I guess the idea is that it's supposed to help kill of the Candida and it does a better job of that if you do more than just cooking with it, though that's good too! I've taken a break the last few days but I think I'll go back to just taking one spoonful a day (when I was taking two a day I had minimal side effects) plus cooking with it. Now that I think about it, I think my reaction might be due to my gallbladder issues. (I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago but I still get severe attacks when I eat anything too oily. My body probably just can't handle a large amount of any oil at one time.)

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 10/02/2012 10:25 am

Take care,

Cherry

Darn, I was just in Whole Foods the other day and saw Coconut Water Kefir near the probiotics! I think it was a different brand, though. I'll have to check it out.

Well, my friend just takes it because it's good for you and he likes the taste. He also cooks with it but I guess the idea of taking it by the spoonful is to get more of it than the small amount you get from cooking in it. In all of the anti-Candida diets I've looked into, they suggest directly taking at least 2 tablespoons of coconut oil a day (some suggest several more than that). It's a natural antimicrobial/antifungal (I'm actually not sure which, my brain is fried from everything I've been reading the last few weeks!) so I guess the idea is that it's supposed to help kill of the Candida and it does a better job of that if you do more than just cooking with it, though that's good too! I've taken a break the last few days but I think I'll go back to just taking one spoonful a day (when I was taking two a day I had minimal side effects) plus cooking with it. Now that I think about it, I think my reaction might be due to my gallbladder issues. (I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago but I still get severe attacks when I eat anything too oily. My body probably just can't handle a large amount of any oil at one time.)

I'm not a medical professional in any way (still going to school for that rolleyes.gif ), but it seems like your body does not react well at all to that coconut oil. Probably best not to take it by itself anymore.

Yes, you should pick up a bottle of the coconut water kefir at Whole Foods next time you're able to. It's good stuff.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 10/02/2012 11:51 am

I didn't realize you didn't have a gallbladder. That is far more likely the reason for your reactions than anything to do with candida.

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 10/02/2012 12:22 pm

I didn't realize you didn't have a gallbladder. That is far more likely the reason for your reactions than anything to do with candida.

Yeah, I can't believe I didn't realize the association sooner, because eating anything really oily (usually the kind of oily that comes from lots of melted cheese, though) gives me terrible pain. If I eat something with lots of olive oil I'm fine though, which is part of why I didn't think coconut oil would be a problem. Then again, I'm never eating olive oil by the tablespoonful. I still haven't eaten any coconut oil since the other night when I had the pain, but I'll probably reintroduce it soon in MUCH smaller amounts and more spread out through the day.

MemberMember
(@cherrysoda08)

Posted : 10/05/2012 1:44 am

Yeah, I can't believe I didn't realize the association sooner, because eating anything really oily (usually the kind of oily that comes from lots of melted cheese, though) gives me terrible pain. If I eat something with lots of olive oil I'm fine though, which is part of why I didn't think coconut oil would be a problem. Then again, I'm never eating olive oil by the tablespoonful. I still haven't eaten any coconut oil since the other night when I had the pain, but I'll probably reintroduce it soon in MUCH smaller amounts and more spread out through the day.

Have you tried cooking with the coconut oil yet?

And have you tried taking the coconut water kefir, as well?

Best of luck,

Cherry

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 10/07/2012 5:51 pm

Have you tried cooking with the coconut oil yet?

And have you tried taking the coconut water kefir, as well?

Best of luck,

Cherry

Thanks! I've started cooking with it and handle it fine. I haven't picked up the coconut water kefir yet but it's on my list for Whole Foods this week!

MemberMember
(@jjfranko)

Posted : 10/09/2012 8:47 pm

I found this website called "get healthy again" and there are amazing things on here, I ordered a candida killing package and it has worked!!!! I have struggled with acne for 11 years and this is the only thing that has worked besides antibiotics (which allow for candida to grow and so when you get off of them your candida is worse- research this if you have taken antibiotics) I didn't think it would work because I have tried literally everything except accutane. Candida yeast feeds off of sugar so I advise not to eat a lot of sugar or carbs (turn into sugar fast). I kept eating the same while I was doing this treatment and my face was a little better but once I just went off of sugar almost completely, I honestly saw incredible results.

It is expensive, but save up some money and get it. There are cheaper packages. Omg just read their site it is so informative. Candida is so hard to kill but they have it down with everything they supply you with.

Best wishes!