Notifications
Clear all

Is Benzoyl Peroxide Supposed To Burn?

MemberMember
(@wtbclearskin)

Posted : 08/06/2012 8:09 pm

I'm using the 2.5 % from acne.org and my skin is burning after I put it on but the pain fades. I'm only seeing the label and website talk about flakiness, redness, and itchiness. I don't see anything about burning so I don't know if this is to be expected, normal, or fine, or bad..

I just started the regimen about three days ago, so I'm using the starter dosage.

I'm experiencing redness, itchiness, AND pretty painful burning (but only when I put it on and a few minutes after it absorbs) - but I'm experiencing discomfort pretty much the entire time it's on.

Any input? Didn't know where to put this, so sorry if it's in the wrong area.

Gyu and Luminouslight liked
MemberMember
(@syn1122)

Posted : 08/06/2012 8:26 pm

it burns a little bit shouldnt be too painful unless your skin has a bad reaction to the chemical or goes super bright red it means you should proberly discontuine use

MemberMember
(@nancyrdz10)

Posted : 08/06/2012 8:29 pm

I'm having the same problem, I feel a little burning but after a few seconds it goes away. I have noticed it has helped my skin I would hate to stop using it!! Is the burning normal?

MemberMember
(@wtbclearskin)

Posted : 08/06/2012 8:52 pm

it burns a little bit shouldnt be too painful unless your skin has a bad reaction to the chemical or goes super bright red it means you should proberly discontuine use

It's not THAT bad, and it completely goes away after it absorbs.

It's also hard to tell whether my face is red because of the peroxide or my acne. I have cystic acne pretty much covering the entirety of my lower face, so my whole face is pretty much red...

Gyu liked
MemberMember
(@dantheman1014)

Posted : 08/14/2012 6:47 pm

Yes, it does burn and itch a little when you first start applying it. I say to start really slow and keep the dose at a place where you feel comfortable before ramping up.

MemberMember
(@happykitty)

Posted : 09/28/2012 10:17 pm

When I started the regiman I bumped up to the full amount of BP in about a week (I was too excited). For about 3 days I was fine, and after that, it felt like I had put acid on my face. It was like you said - a really bad burning sensation, so painful and unpleasant! Even after I bumped it back down to a small amount, it was still almost unbearable.

Dan recommends that if the BP is really irritating you to stop using it for a few days and then try again. Maybe you should try that and start off using a teeny tiny amount, even less than the recommended starter amount, and work your way up. BP is really powerful stuff and it takes your skin some time to get used it. That's exactly what I ended up doing and it was frustrating feeling like I was going from day 5 back to day 1. But I promise you, the results are worth the wait! And your skin will thank you for taking it slow!

Edit: Oops, I meant to mention - It sounds like you might just be like me and have skin that's extra sensitive to the BP, but you should compare your symptoms with those of someone who's allergic and make sure that's not the case (severe burning/peeling/rash). Dan talks about them here - > http://www.acne.org/faq.html#burn

MemberMember
(@09alisa)

Posted : 09/28/2012 11:03 pm

I remember when I first started using the 10% BP. My face got extremely red and burned. I suffered through it. The bad side efffects did go away for me. It just takes a while for your skin to get used to it. But if it is really bad, try using it every other day for a while. Best of luck to you!

MemberMember
(@alicebullock)

Posted : 03/28/2017 10:15 am

I had the same problem I applied far too much to my cheek and neck and chin and it started burning. I thought that meant it was working so left it on only giving it a wipe with a facial wipe after an hour or two. By the next morning it was so red and itchy and uncomfortable and swollen and looked like a large bumpy rash. I've been too embarrassed to go out this week but the doctors have all said just to keep the face clear from anything but moisturiser and it should go down. Really hoping it doesn't scar permanently and will go down within the week! As long as you use a lot of E45 moisturiser and Cetaphil cleanser hopefully it should go down faster! Will post again when it has gone down