Notifications
Clear all

Apple Cider Vinegar (Acv) On Acne

MemberMember
(@msverara)

Posted : 05/21/2012 2:43 am

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the site and I would like to ask you guys some questions about apple cider vinegar and how it treat acne.

So, I've been using ACV as a toner for almost two weeks now. At first, some of the whiteheads, papules and pustules quickly dried up and went away, which is a good thing. However, I seem to have develop tons of whiteheads on my cheeks and the area around my mouths which have become more and more visible in the past few days. I wonder if this might be an initial stage of skin-purging phrase?? I've heard that many people go through a period where their skin would purge before it become clear. Is it the same for me?? or does it mean I've become allergic to the ACV toner??

Usually, I have mild to moderate acne. Only during that time of the month or when I get really stressed out, I would get those large, painful pimples. After washing my face in the morning, I would put the mixture (50%ACV and 50% water) onto my face with a cotton pad, let it dry and continue with my daytime moisturizer. I do the same routine at night, only switching from daytime moisturizer to a nighttime one.

So, what do you guys think about my condition?? Should I stop using the ACV toner or stick to it?? Since it's been almost two weeks after I've started using ACV as a toner, isn't it a bit too late for my skin to start purging? is it possible? Please let me know what do you think. Thanks a lot :)

MemberMember
(@nyakabr)

Posted : 05/22/2012 5:08 pm

I've been using ACV as an acne treatment for about 3 months now. I used to have papules and various small whiteheads. During the first month of use, the papules pretty much disappeared and I was stuck with whiteheads which got a little out of control and then slowly cleared up. I now have no acne at all as long as I use the ACV daily.

I should also note that at the beginning I used the ACV on my face and drank it twice a day as well, A couple weeks ago I stopped using it on my face and now only drink it once a day in the morning (2 cups of water and 2 tsp. of ACV) and my face has stayed cleared with this change. I believe drinking it has a much bigger impact, despite the bad taste.

After 10 years of chronic acne, ACV cleared me.

Keep at it, it'll be worth it.

MemberMember
(@msverara)

Posted : 05/23/2012 1:50 am

I've been using ACV as an acne treatment for about 3 months now. I used to have papules and various small whiteheads. During the first month of use, the papules pretty much disappeared and I was stuck with whiteheads which got a little out of control and then slowly cleared up. I now have no acne at all as long as I use the ACV daily.

I should also note that at the beginning I used the ACV on my face and drank it twice a day as well, A couple weeks ago I stopped using it on my face and now only drink it once a day in the morning (2 cups of water and 2 tsp. of ACV) and my face has stayed cleared with this change. I believe drinking it has a much bigger impact, despite the bad taste.

Thanks a ton!! I will stick to this routine and if I see further positive result, I will let you know. Thanks again!!

MemberMember
(@foreigneez)

Posted : 05/23/2012 2:10 am

I personally don't believe in "purging" but I do advise you to stick with it. The reason it's helping your face is most likely due to the acidity burning away at the top layer of your skin. I take it orally for reasons mention in another topic I made which can be found here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/315751-is-your-acne-caused-by-leaky-gut-syndrome-a-simple-breakdown-of-the-connection/

The only topical treatment I use is a 50% Lactic Acid peel, which has similar effects to ACV, but works better for me. If you're interested in that, you can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/Lactic-Acid-Peel-30ml-Professional/dp/B000PNXBU8/

That, combined with a natural Vitamin A supplement and slowly eliminating gluten from my diet, is very effectively clearing up my acne. You can't really even say I have acne anymore. Just scars that make it look like I do. But the lactic acid helps with those.

MemberMember
(@msverara)

Posted : 05/23/2012 12:08 pm

On 5/23/2012 at 1:10 PM, foreigneez said:

I personally don't believe in "purging" but I do advise you to stick with it. The reason it's helping your face is most likely due to the acidity burning away at the top layer of your skin. I take it orally for reasons mention in another topic I made which can be found here: http://www.acne.org/...the-connection/

The only topical treatment I use is a 50% Lactic Acid peel, which has similar effects to ACV, but works better for me. If you're interested in that, you can find it here: https://www.amazon.com/Lactic-Acid-Peel-30ml-Professional/dp/B000PNXBU8/

That, combined with a natural Vitamin A supplement and slowly eliminating gluten from my diet, is very effectively clearing up my acne. You can't really even say I have acne anymore. Just scars that make it look like I do. But the lactic acid helps with those.

Thanks a lot for the advice!! The video "what is gluten sensitivity" is a real eye-opener for me. I love that video. it gives such clear information. Anyway, I plan to start drinking ACV, starting from tmrw. All of this gluten-sensitivity thing is entirely new to me. I've been thinking that it was dairy product that usually break me out but now i gotta think about the gluten thing too. I live in a country where rice is the stable food, not bread, so, I wonder whether rice has gluten in it?? oh well I think it's best for me to do some more research about that!!

Again, thanks a lot smile.png

MemberMember
(@nyakabr)

Posted : 05/23/2012 3:27 pm

Rice does not have gluten in it. Many people who cannot/do not eat gluten use rice as a substitute.

MemberMember
(@foreigneez)

Posted : 05/23/2012 11:48 pm

On 5/23/2012 at 11:08 PM, msverara said:

I personally don't believe in "purging" but I do advise you to stick with it. The reason it's helping your face is most likely due to the acidity burning away at the top layer of your skin. I take it orally for reasons mention in another topic I made which can be found here: http://www.acne.org/...the-connection/

Thanks a lot for the advice!! The video "what is gluten sensitivity" is a real eye-opener for me. I love that video. it gives such clear information. Anyway, I plan to start drinking ACV, starting from tmrw. All of this gluten-sensitivity thing is entirely new to me. I've been thinking that it was dairy product that usually break me out but now i gotta think about the gluten thing too. I live in a country where rice is the stable food, not bread, so, I wonder whether rice has gluten in it?? oh well I think it's best for me to do some more research about that!!

You're welcome. As Nyaka said, rice doesn't contain gluten, but that doesn't mean it doesnt cause any problems. If you'd like, you can try eliminating rice from your diet and seeing if it changes things. If you're native to your country though (meaning you didn't move there from somewhere else) and everyone else eats it, there's a chance your particular group of people have adapted to digesting rice in a non bodily-destructive way.

A lot of things people top off rice with may contain gluten, such as soysauce. So be wary of that. I personally wouldn't consume rice (although its one of my favorite foods! sad.png ) because I just don't trust grains anymore. Grains used to be good for us 2000+ years ago, however farmers have been mixing and breeding grains together to form new, unnatural types of grains that our bodies don't understand. The reason they do this is to make them more resistant to cold and other extreme conditions to improve crop yields. The rice we eat now isn't the rice our ancestors ate. Same goes for wheat.

Edit: Oh, and if you're drinking the apple cider vinegar make sure it's organic, otherwise there's no point. You probably already know that though.

MemberMember
(@msverara)

Posted : 05/24/2012 11:41 am

On 5/24/2012 at 10:48 AM, foreigneez said:
On 5/23/2012 at 11:08 PM, msverara said:

The only topical treatment I use is a 50% Lactic Acid peel, which has similar effects to ACV, but works better for me. If you're interested in that, you can find it here: [Removed]

You're welcome. As Nyaka said, rice doesn't contain gluten, but that doesn't mean it doesnt cause any problems. If you'd like, you can try eliminating rice from your diet and seeing if it changes things. If you're native to your country though (meaning you didn't move there from somewhere else) and everyone else eats it, there's a chance your particular group of people have adapted to digesting rice in a non bodily-destructive way.

A lot of things people top off rice with may contain gluten, such as soysauce. So be wary of that. I personally wouldn't consume rice (although its one of my favorite foods! sad.png ) because I just don't trust grains anymore. Grains used to be good for us 2000+ years ago, however farmers have been mixing and breeding grains together to form new, unnatural types of grains that our bodies don't understand. The reason they do this is to make them more resistant to cold and other extreme conditions to improve crop yields. The rice we eat now isn't the rice our ancestors ate. Same goes for wheat.

Edit: Oh, and if you're drinking the apple cider vinegar make sure it's organic, otherwise there's no point. You probably already know that though.

I'm drinking Organic Apple Cider Vinegar from a local brand so no worry in that department smile.png Also, thanks for more information about rice and gluten. Since I only eat the all-natural kind of rice (I'm lucky it is so easy to find in my country) I guess I might not have been breaking out because of it but maybe because of other food that contain gluten. I do eat cereal for breakfast so maybe the grain and wheat in it break me out. This is so sad. it seems like there's only a few things left for me to eat safely (meaning it doesn't break me out) but its worth it because this way I can not only clear my skin but also improve my eating habit (trying to think positively here hahaha)

Also, is the Undergroundwellness Youtube Channel yours??? I've already subscribed and you've gotten my hooked hahaha I like the channel very much so far biggrin.png

Skin Progress;

It's been a few days since I first posted this topic. Now it seems some of the whiteheads have disappeared but I notice my skin look kind of bumpy and rough towards the end of the day. Usually I have oily skin but these days my skin seems dry, a bit flaky and, as I said earlier, appear somewhat rough. The funniest thing is, my skin normally looks really nice and smooth for a couple hours after I got up in the morning but as the day goes on, it would look rougher and become less smooth. Is this normal?? I hope it is because I feel like in a way, ACV has really kept my skin clean (but not absolutely clear... yet) Today I tried putting on natural aloe vera gel after my nighttime moisturizer. I hope it would help hydrate the rough and flaky area.

Thanks a lot smile.png (again)

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 05/24/2012 7:46 pm

HELP! I use normal Heinz ACV from the store and I don't dilute it at all and basically substitute this as a toner. Is that bad??

MemberMember
(@msverara)

Posted : 05/24/2012 10:36 pm

HELP! I use normal Heinz ACV from the store and I don't dilute it at all and basically substitute this as a toner. Is that bad??

I believe using ACV without diluting it might be too tough for your skin but I do see some people who use it straight, without diluting, get positive result.

Maybe it varies from person to person.

How is you skin reacting to the ACV? How long have you been using it? I have been using it as a toner (diluted with similar amount of water) for 2 weeks now and, although it did calm down the large, painful pimples, I seem to have developed tons of whiteheads. So my skin looks kind of rough and bumpy. Some of the whiteheads dried up and went away but I do fear that there will be more to come :( Anyway I will stick to it for 2 more weeks though. Still hoping for positive result.

I also take ACV orally. it's been only a couple of day but I feel like it really help with my digestive system. So, for that department, ACV looks really promising.

MemberMember
(@msverara)

Posted : 05/24/2012 10:53 pm

Thanks a ton!! I will stick to this routine and if I see further positive result, I will let you know. Thanks again!!

Worries :(

So I've been using ACV for two weeks now and although some whiteheads have cleared out, many still persist and there seem to be more to come!!! I'm a bit discourage now :( but I will stick to this for 2 more weeks though. I Still have hope for this to work :)

MemberMember
(@foreigneez)

Posted : 05/25/2012 1:12 am

Just curious, do your pick or pop your whiteheads with a needle or anything? If you do, don't do it. When you first see that you have a whitehead, let it stay there all day, and then go to bed at night. Then, pop it in the morning. The whiteness that you extract will come out more as a hard, seed-like extraction, rather than gross, liquid puss. That seed is what you want to get out, but it wont come out to the surface if you're popping your whitehead constantly. Once you get that seed out the pimple will go away and wont come back. However, if you're popping it while it's in that liquid stage, it will come back and spread out more.

The best thing to do is to leave them alone completely, but some people can't do that and have to pick at it.

And no, the UndergroundWellness channel isn't mine. I wish I was as smart as that guy. :P

MemberMember
(@msverara)

Posted : 05/25/2012 3:59 am

Nop\\\\\\\\

Just curious, do your pick or pop your whiteheads with a needle or anything? If you do, don't do it. When you first see that you have a whitehead, let it stay there all day, and then go to bed at night. Then, pop it in the morning. The whiteness that you extract will come out more as a hard, seed-like extraction, rather than gross, liquid puss. That seed is what you want to get out, but it wont come out to the surface if you're popping your whitehead constantly. Once you get that seed out the pimple will go away and wont come back. However, if you're popping it while it's in that liquid stage, it will come back and spread out more.

The best thing to do is to leave them alone completely, but some people can't do that and have to pick at it.

And no, the UndergroundWellness channel isn't mine. I wish I was as smart as that guy. tongue.png

I used to pick my skin a lot but now I try not to do it. I still do pick whiteheads sometimes though but from now on, I will be careful not to pick at the ones that still have liquid in them. Thanks again :)

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 05/26/2012 9:22 am

I believe using ACV without diluting it might be too tough for your skin but I do see some people who use it straight, without diluting, get positive result.

How is you skin reacting to the ACV? How long have you been using it? I have been using it as a toner (diluted with similar amount of water) for 2 weeks now and, although it did calm down the large, painful pimples, I seem to have developed tons of whiteheads. So my skin looks kind of rough and bumpy. Some of the whiteheads dried up and went away but I do fear that there will be more to come sad.png Anyway I will stick to it for 2 more weeks though. Still hoping for positive result.

I also take ACV orally. it's been only a couple of day but I feel like it really help with my digestive system. So, for that department, ACV looks really promising.

I've heard it works very well orally, though the smell is enough to deter me from doing such a thing lol and how much do you drink every day?

I used to drink a whole cup of lemon juice daily and use pure lemon juice as a toner, but again I think it was too harsh on my face and I have an irritated esophagus and it doesn't seem to be the best idea anymore haha. Could it have created the irritation?? Also the lemon juice left hideous red marks where my pimples were. I had never had them until I used it. :(

I want to use enough of the ACV to see results I guess and I have far from sensitive skin. I've been using it for about 2 weeks inconsistently until a couple of days ago. I've used it on my back but it hasn't cleared it ALL up yet and makes my skin somewhat itchy but it has shown clear improvement and makes my skin super soft. My face has broken out with more white heads lately and I wish I could say it made me completely happy because it just means it's all getting out of my skin but it certainly doesn't. I can't leave white heads alone, going to work with one is the last thing I want.

MemberMember
(@msverara)

Posted : 05/27/2012 12:01 pm

How is you skin reacting to the ACV? How long have you been using it? I have been using it as a toner (diluted with similar amount of water) for 2 weeks now and, although it did calm down the large, painful pimples, I seem to have developed tons of whiteheads. So my skin looks kind of rough and bumpy. Some of the whiteheads dried up and went away but I do fear that there will be more to come sad.png Anyway I will stick to it for 2 more weeks though. Still hoping for positive result.

I've heard it works very well orally, though the smell is enough to deter me from doing such a thing lol and how much do you drink every day?

I used to drink a whole cup of lemon juice daily and use pure lemon juice as a toner, but again I think it was too harsh on my face and I have an irritated esophagus and it doesn't seem to be the best idea anymore haha. Could it have created the irritation?? Also the lemon juice left hideous red marks where my pimples were. I had never had them until I used it. sad.png

I want to use enough of the ACV to see results I guess and I have far from sensitive skin. I've been using it for about 2 weeks inconsistently until a couple of days ago. I've used it on my back but it hasn't cleared it ALL up yet and makes my skin somewhat itchy but it has shown clear improvement and makes my skin super soft. My face has broken out with more white heads lately and I wish I could say it made me completely happy because it just means it's all getting out of my skin but it certainly doesn't. I can't leave white heads alone, going to work with one is the last thing I want.

I drink ACV (mixed with an equal amount of water and a little bit honey) once or twice a day. Half an 8 ounce glass a time. I have never use lemon juice on my face but I recken it could be too harsh on your skin if you put it directly.

I totally understand how you feel with the whiteheads. ACV caused tons of whiteheads on my face too. However, it seems to have cleared up a bit in the past few days (I've been using it as a toner for two weeks now) but I dont want to say that ACV actually WORKS for acne, yet. I will continue to use it as a toner and take it orally for the next two weeks so we will see what happen... I really hope it works tho.

MemberMember
(@msverara)

Posted : 05/28/2012 1:38 am

Did you mix ACV with water when you use it as a toner?? How often do you use it? It's been almost three weeks and my whiteheads havent cleared up yet :( I did feel like my skin has gotten super clean but the whiteheads are just a real PAIN.

MemberMember
(@nyakabr)

Posted : 05/28/2012 7:23 am

I mix 2 cups of water with 2 tablespoons of acv and use that as a toner once a day and as a drink twice a day. Be patient... I still get the occasional whitehead outbreak, usually on my chin, but its nothing serious and usually goes away within a day or two with the acv.

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 06/02/2012 3:33 pm

I have an irritated esophagus (Says my gastroenterologist) and I couldn't afford the medicine and steroids.. I'm super broke. And lemon juice killed my throat and I feel that ACV would also, though with honey it might be a little better. I'm gonna try putting water in the mix of ACV because I was using it directly. Isn't 1 tablespoon of ACV to every cup of water seem really small, like not enough ACV?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/13/2012 3:30 pm

I've been doing a lot of researching on the ACV toner treatment, and I just have a question for anyone that's used it.

How noticeable is the vinegar smell to the people once it's on your face? I know that I could tolerate it if it was working, but I kind of laughed the other morning when I put on cologne and then put some ACV on my face and the ACV smell seemed stronger than my cologne haha.

Has anyone ever said they could smell it on you?

That is the main thing holding me back form using it full time, nice skin will do me no good if I smell like vinegar all day LOL.

And for the previous poster that mentioned lots of whiteheads, I saw when I was combing through threads that it could happen if your potency is too strong. You likely need a weaker solution, maybe 2:1 or 3:1