Notifications
Clear all

Has Anyone Else Had Any Experience With Trimethoprim?

MemberMember
(@jodieeeanne)

Posted : 02/22/2012 12:18 pm

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had been prescribed Trimethoprim (Just Trimethorpim not Trimethoprim Sulfamethoxazole).

I was prescribed it about a week ago now and take 300mg twice daily.

When I went to the pharmicist to pick it up she seemed REALLY unhappy with what I'd been prescribed but wouldn't tell me why which made me research the drug a little more however I can't find much on it being used for acne at all.

Has anyone done a course or even know someone who's on a course?

I'm getting a couple of side affects and would like to compare against other peoples logs but there just doesn't seem to be anyone on it. Wah!!

Thanks

MemberMember
(@maryamy)

Posted : 02/29/2012 12:36 pm

Same here. Was just perscribed Trimethoprim tablets, but only 200mg once a day. The pharamcist seemed very skeptical about the dosage, and even triple checked the perscription to make sure they had it right. She was very clear in saying that if I didn't see any difference in 6 weeks, to go back to my GP and get either another dosage or medication.

I've tried tons of different antibiotics, all of which had little to no effect, and done a course of Accutane (while I lived in the US). My acne is *way* better now then it was pre-Accutane, but definitely not make-up less good. I was hoping to find more info about Trimethoprim and its effectivness. The NHS clinical guide ( http://www.cks.nhs.uk/acne_vulgaris/prescribing_information/prescribing_information/topical_retinoids/prescribing_issues#-379670 ) only has a little bit of information, and it doesn't seem to be that commonly used. My GP said that it was becoming his practice's go-to antibiotic for stubborn acne.

Hopefully this will clear up those annoying white and black heads that are left.

MemberMember
(@jodieeeanne)

Posted : 03/01/2012 6:01 am

Well, best of luck with it but I've just got to give you a quick heads up as I've been made to stop my meds.

I've never had an allergic reaction to anything before so obviously this could just be my body but I felt sick and nauseous the whole time I was taking the drug and started to get a fever and headaches, I thought in all honesty that I was just getting sick and carried on like nothing was going on. On day 7 of taking the Trimethoprim I woke up covered head to toe in a drug rash and went to the docs and got put in hospital for 2 days sad.png

Not saying it will happen to you as everyones different + you are on a third of the dosage I was put on so I'm sure you'll be fine but if you start to feel sick maybe talk to your doc sooner rather then later like I did as I probably could of saved myself the hospital stay if I had.

I'm now waiting to be put on Accutane but have to wait until May !! Boo sad.png

MemberMember
(@maryamy)

Posted : 03/01/2012 2:54 pm

JodieeeAnne - that sucks! I read other stories about people having severe reactions, and it almost makes Accutane seem tame. Hope you are feeling better. And I really appreciate the heads up.

Accutane was a godsend for me. Had great, Adele worthy hair during the treatment, but very dry lips and skin. Granted, everyone has a different reaction. It took a while to work though, so hang in there! Good luck!

MemberMember
(@maryamy)

Posted : 03/27/2012 12:56 pm

Just wanted to give a quick update on my Trimethoprim use.

I delayed starting Trimethoprim for two weeks so that I could give blood, and since then I have sometimes forgotten to take it by 3 hours, but it seems to be somewhat effective. Less blackheads and white heads on face. Skin looks a bit smoother. Back is doing ok. Skin seems less itchy - I don't if this is connected. Ever since Accutane, I sometimes go through month long "cured" periods, when my body messes with me and makes me think that I have kicked this thing, so I don't know if this is just a low period. However, aside from a mildly upset stomach (which may be due to stress), Trimethoprim seems to be more effective than other antibiotics I have tried. Fingers crossed.

MemberMember
(@03dan3)

Posted : 04/27/2012 7:48 am

Hello, i had been prescribed accutane about a year ago and the drug was great, however my skin was clear for about 7 months untill my acne started to come back. Id say my acne is mild but its bugging me. I have just seem my dermatologist again and he has prescribed me the same drug as yourself (trimethoprim) and i was wondering how your doing today, if the drug is taking an effective in a positive way or a negative way? Id appreciate it if you could update me as im a little nervous going onto this drug :( anyways, i hope to hear from you soon... applies to maryamy and Jodieeeann. Thank you :)

MemberMember
(@cheryl123)

Posted : 04/30/2012 3:51 pm

I was prescribed this drug for 3 months to treat my cystitis, and as a side effect it cleared my skin up which was an unexpected bonus. I am on 100mg a day and I have been on it for about 2 months.

It worked very quickly on my acne, during the first month I did get a couple of spots, but they were minor and nothing like what I was getting before. My skin is still just as oily though. I am dreading coming off it as I have not had skin this good in years.

Cheryl

MemberMember
(@maryamy)

Posted : 05/08/2012 8:27 am

Hey 03dan3,

Sorry it took so long to respond. The trimethoprim has helped, but it hasn't been a cure all yet. Its much more effective than Finacea for me, which is awesome. And now I can go make up free much more often now! So definitely positive. I initally got some nausea, stomach upsets, and headaches, but nothing more than I'd get after a late night out, and they have been infrequent. As long as you have close medical supervision, I think it is worth a try.

Let us know how it goes!

cheryl123 - That's awesome. Congratulations!

MemberMember
(@03dan3)

Posted : 05/13/2012 11:20 am

Maryamy... hello and thanks for the reply :) Well it seems you have good results which is brilliant. I am on my 3rd week of taking Trimethoprim and is also taking a good effect! :D My skin is much clearer since week one so all in all i'm happy but fingers cross for a cure, i just hope this drug is that cure. As for the side effects, i have had a few light headaches, and like you said, nothing more than a late night out so that's a bonus. In case you are wondering i take 300mg twice a day which adds up to 600mg which seems a lot more than other peoples daily dosage. Anyways ill update you soon and thanks again, feel free to post :)

MemberMember
(@maryamy)

Posted : 05/16/2012 2:59 am

03dan3 - that's excellent. I'm really glad to hear it is working for you, without too severe side effects! I think JodieeeAnne's experience shows that some drugs aren't a good for everyone, so its nice to hear about successes. :-)

Interesting to hear that you are on the higher dosage. My pharmacist had indicated that 600mg/day is pretty common for acne. I have about 3 weeks left on my current course, and while I have much less acne now, I feel like it is one step away from a flare up. I often get very small, non inflammed black and white heads that aren't overly visible, but would be so much better gone. I'm equivocating whether to ask my GP for more Trimethoprim, since long term use isn't recommended ( http://www.cks.nhs.uk/acne_vulgaris/prescribing_information/prescribing_information/oral_antibiotics/choice_of_oral_antibiotic ), but maybe a higher dose will knock it down permanently.

MemberMember
(@jodieeeanne)

Posted : 05/22/2012 6:56 am

Sorry guys, Just popped back in here to see what was going on as I've been stalking the Accutane forums much more (started last week)

Dan - I was on 600mg like you but unfortunately it just wasn't for me, not going to lie though I had started to see an improvement with my skin even within the 7 days hence why I kinda ignored the warning bells. Its nice to see a few other people with some success stories as I really did feel disheartened when I got my allergic reaction.

But hey now I get the joy of having Trimethoprim written as an allergy on EVERYTHING!! Prescriptions, Hospital wrist bands etc etc lol. Can't believe it took 20 years for me to find out I was allergic to it.

Anyway, I don't know if theres much else that I can help with as obviously I didn't really take the drug but if you do have anymore questions I could help with then drop me a message !!

MemberMember
(@dancingstarlisa)

Posted : 09/07/2012 6:03 pm

Hi there! I'm 23 & have has acne since I was a teenager- tried all sorts but I've found that trimethoprim is best thing (besides accutane but that didnt work out to well with its side effects in an 18 yr old dance student!!) I've been on trimethoprim for some time now & it's cleared my skin and keeps it clear- until I forget a dose! Even if I just miss one of my 300mg I get a spot!! I'm on 600mg a day & can't fault it otherwise! I just have to remember to take it every morning! (evening aren't so bad because I have other medication to take) any updates from anyone else as it is a while since anyone's posted?

MemberMember
(@d90)

Posted : 03/25/2013 9:50 am

Been on Trimethoprim for 17 days now, My Acne has got worse but I think that's a normal occurrence. Part of the healing process like most other products gets worse before it improves. On 600mg a day. Going to give time, time with regard to this medication. Deserves a 3 month window. Will keep all you beautiful people informed ;)

MemberMember
(@jesssom)

Posted : 08/09/2013 9:07 am

I have previously been on roaccutane for my acne which worked really well for me however after about 8 months my skin just got progressively worse. Since then I have been on a couple of different antibiotics which weren't effective. I have now been prescribed trimpethoprim 600mg daily for the next 2 month until my next dermatology appointment. I would be very grateful to hear whether it has been effective for you guys as my dermatologist suggested going back on roacctuane if trimethoprim isn't effective.

will keep you informed on my progress thanks :)

MemberMember
(@anothermegan)

Posted : 08/14/2013 5:35 am

Hello :). I have been on Trimethoprim for close to 3 months now - 600mg daily- and yes it did help a little which I was quite disappointed as you'd think taking 6 tablets a day would make a more substantual difference. But for the couple of weeks or so I have had to stop taking them because they just make me too sick and it's horrible. It's like I have delayed side effects :/ My acne has come back even worse and I guess I'm back to square one again

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/14/2013 6:42 am

Some info on Trimethoprim in the following table:

(Click table)
MemberMember
(@squirrelmonkey)

Posted : 07/31/2014 12:17 am

This is a year late, but I just wanted to add that going on trimethoprim is my biggest regret. I had such mild acne before taking it that I would actually look normal most days, and it even looked like I had beautiful skin when I wore makeup. But of course, when you're young and naive, clear skin is the only skin you want to have. The derm prescribed me 200mg twice a day plus differin the very first time I saw her. I must say that it cleared up all my blemishes, even the monthly hormonal ones. But I started noticing my face getting DISGUSTINGLY oily. The derm said to just use an expensive oily skin cleanser and gave me another supply of trimethoprim. It did nothing for the oil. After around 5 months she told me to switch to one a day. In total I took it for about 7-8 months. When I stopped, I immediately started getting a whole new kind of acne: inflamed clusters of pustules all over my face. And the oil slick decided to stay as well. It was so terrible that I cried everyday out of frustration and desperation because it just kept getting worse. To this day, this is the acne I'm now dealing with. I would kill for my skin to go back to the mild acne that it once was.

I would love to know if anyone else had this kind of experience with this antibiotic (or any other one, really).

MemberMember
(@eadcad)

Posted : 10/27/2014 7:18 pm

I know I'm about 2 years late in commenting on this but anyway...I'm 18 and last year I was on trimethoprim for a solid 9 months. I found it to be a miracle! I had mild/severe acne on my face and back and only a few spots every now and then on my chest since I was 14. Now I have been off it for 4 months and my skin has gotten bad again but only on my face. My back and chest have only had about one spot in the past 4 months which made me so happy! Good luck to anyone trying it out! I wish there was more info available on the long-term effect of the drug though......