Notifications
Clear all

Is This A Cyst?

MemberMember
(@mystcyst)

Posted : 12/09/2011 9:59 pm

This spot appeared around three months ago. It is actually darker and more bruise like than the photo. It has always been painful. A sharp stabbing pain under pressure. In the past three days the pain is fairly constant without it being touched it's like a dull ache. The spot has also become warmer than the rest of my skin. When pressed it feels like a fluid filled blister under the skin.

I went to a dermatologist today and was told that it is cystic acne. As you can probably tell from my picture acne isn't much of an issue for me. I generally get a pimple or two every month. Usually I don't get any. I was prescribed an antibiotic for cystic acne and I really don't think I should take it.

Do you think this is an acne cyst or should I see a second opinion? I'm living in Mexico and health care here is sometimes dubious. His examination of the spot took maybe 60 seconds. I am not sure what is normal since I've never been to a dermatologist before.

Thank you!

Edit to ad: the spot isn't at all raised although it does feel, like I said, there is fluid (maybe) deep under the skin.

post-163805-0-55854900-1323495286_thumb.

post-163805-0-55854900-1323495286_thumb.

MemberMember
(@jr0615)

Posted : 12/09/2011 10:09 pm

Please dont take the antiobtics , it could make you have more pimples!!! but hey thats just an assumption

MemberMember
(@mystcyst)

Posted : 12/09/2011 10:11 pm

Please dont take the antiobtics , it could make you have more pimples!!! but hey thats just an assumption

What do you mean? I looked it up and it's supposed to be curative for moderate to severe acne. I'm just not sure that is what I have. Thank you for your post though.

MemberMember
(@the-uphill-battle)

Posted : 12/09/2011 10:28 pm

I'm not a doctor, but what you're describing does sound like cystic acne to me. I think you could respond well to antibiotics if acne is a pretty minor issue for you, it might be just what you need to prevent those rare cysts that pop up. Regardless though, you're beautiful!

MemberMember
(@mystcyst)

Posted : 12/09/2011 11:36 pm

Aww. Thanks.

But as I said it's not that acne isn't really an issue for me it. It's a non-issue. Period. I don't understand how someone who has had maybe 5 pimples in the last year can be diagnosed with the most severe form of acne in the course of a five minuet visit. *sigh*

I /really/ dislike the idea of taking an antibiotic intended to treat acne for several months when I /don't' have acne/. Supposing this is bizarre occurrence of someone with normally clear skin getting an acne cyst is there anything I can do for it that wouldn't put my digestive system at risk like this anti-biotic.

I really don't care about how it looks. I mean it just looks like a bruise. I want it to go away because it hurts like heck.

MemberMember
(@gia1)

Posted : 12/10/2011 8:34 am

i would get a second opinion. i took antibiotics which messed up my digestive system and gave me candida which in turn gave me extreme cystic acne, like 15 cysts on my face and am now taking probiotics and other supplements for the past 2 months and i am crystal clear.

MemberMember
(@dieffenbachia)

Posted : 12/19/2011 12:09 pm

It could be a cyst but my recommendation would be to use topical treatments first before tying any oral antibiotics as antibiotics can have severe side-effects.

Try benzoyl peroxide 2.5% (e.g. panoxyl) but only on the cyst. This can cause some redness and dryness so you should moisturise after it has dried. but try not to prod or poke the area at all as this will make it worse.

Cysts can take up to a month (and possibly longer) to completely disappear, so for the time being, try to stick to your usual routine and try topical treatments first. Antibiotics are usually prescribed for more severe cases than yours and many a friend of mine has had very severe cysts *(yours does not seem that inflamed which is good) have not had permanent marks. Good luck and try not to touch it during the day!

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/19/2013 10:30 pm

Does anyone have something like the OP? I have something that looks a lot like this and one of you mention it would go away but it just takes a lot of time. Thoughts?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/20/2013 12:27 am

You can have a cyst but not have a lot of them. Generally people with cystic acne have a LOT of cysts. But it's possible to have just one.

It's possible that it could be something like a spider bite that is not healing.

Either way the course of antibiotics should clear up the cyst.

Make sure to take probiotics to restore your gut flora AFTER you finish the WHOLE COURSE of antibiotics. Do not just take part of the course. This can make bacteria resistant and harder to get rid of.

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 01/20/2013 3:29 am

Hi. Well i seen what cystic acne is all over the face... i don't have that. I mean it looks like a cyst on my cheek similar to what the Original poster posted. So would that be a cyst? I'm positive its not a bug bite.